Ridiculous Gun Show Infringement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Gun Show Infringement

Ridiculous Gun Show Infringement

I am a frequent visitor to the monthly gun shows here in Las Vegas, Nevada of which I am also a resident.
    I was appalled to find out Saturday December 15th, 2008 that yet another ridiculous, unconstitutional 2nd Amendment infringement has been placed on law-abiding gun buyers, owners, dealers and the like. Whereas, you can no longer take a handgun purchased at a Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada Gun show with you, regardless of being a law-abiding citizen whom has paid for and passed the equally superfluous, unconstitutional 2nd Amendment infringement NICS check at the show. You are now required to pick the item up from the business of the dealer whom you bought it from. Further, this imposes obvious additional undue costs, expenses and such even if both the dealer and the purchaser were residents of Las Vegas, Nevada. Moreover, if purchaser was a law-abiding visitor from another state, said purchaser would incur additional, shipping, FFL to FFL transfer & other fees not previously required.

Being a law-abiding & voting resident of Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada I did not vote for this nor was this publicly announced in a way that the voting public could provide feedback or concern for it. Further, it was very recently imposed on us without our knowledge.

Clark County, Nevada remains the ONLY county in the State of Nevada to have a mandatory handgun registration scheme; and now Las Vegas is further infringing upon the rights of Nevadans by imposing an additional infringement that does not exist anywhere else in the state.

Please support, encourage the repeal of these and other such blatant 2nd amendment infringements of the law-abiding citizens of Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada USA, before this comes to another State, City or other municipality in the U.S.; by writing the media, representatives in Washington and the NRA: http://nraila.org/
    GOA: http://gunowners.org/
    and
    SAF: http://saf.org/

AND...
    if you are a Nevada resident, register to vote if not already before this Wednesday, December 19th, 2008 so you can participate in the caucus.

AND...

Vote gun grabbing Senator Harry Reid and Mayor Oscar Goodman OUT when they come up for re-election again.

Write the media:
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/media/

Write representatives in Washington:
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Write Mayor of Las Vegas Oscar Goodman:
    http://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/Govern..._b_goodman.htm

Write Nevada Governor Jim Gibbons:
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/bio/?id=373&lvl=S&chamber=G

Write Nevada state legislators, local officials, and more:
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

It should be noted that buyers and sellers from all over the country come to these renowned monthly gun shows in Las Vegas, Nevada.

FYI: Cross Posting in Second Amendment Issues Forum.

Mike Huckabee on the issues and policies:
    http://www.mikehuckabee.com/

Last edited by Bohemian; 12-16-2007 at 08:26 AM.

I agree with your sentiments and anger but would like some clarification.

Clark County 72 hour wait applies to handgun purchases at gun shows and has for some time and guns must be picked up at a local dealer. If your dealer is out of town you pick it up at a local dealer after your seller does a dealer transfer to them. If, however, you have an execreble blue card or a CHL, you may take it with you after the paperwork is complete and your blue card given to you.

I did not attend this weekend's show so I'm wondering: Has this situation changed? Must all purchasers now wait for the next business day to pick up from the dealer's store?

Please clarify--and do be sure to vote. I'd love to see the 'honorable' harry reid replaced.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

local ordinances in Clark County

I cannot help but wonder why citizens in Clark County are not more outspoken on these "local ordinance" issues. The offices of the county commissioners and local city councils should be overflowing with mail, email, fax, and telephone messages. Voters should be campaigning and lined up from Hoover Dam to the northern county line - and back again - a few times - to elect officials that will do the right thing and repeal the unconstitutional handgun registration scheme. And if that doesn't work, we'll raise the issue again in the 75th (2009) legislative session.

In the 74th legislative session (2007), we tried to get rid of Clark County's (unconstitutional) handgun registration scheme. Unfortunately, that was again "grandfathered."

HOWEVER (and this is a BIG however), NO OTHER LOCAL ordinances were grandfathered. Read the NRS!

Please see my letter quoted below. I have not yet received any replies; it remains to be seen what will become of it. However, I'm told the NRA General Counsel agrees and hopefully will become involved if necessary.

In other words, no one has been able to disagree nor tell me why this interpretation of the law is incorrect.
    December 12, 2007

District Attorney David Roger
    200 S 3rd
    Las Vegas NV 89155-9900

City Attorney Bradford Jerbic
    400 Stewart Ave
    Las Vegas NV 89101

City Attorney Carrie Torrence
    2200 Civic Center Dr
    North Las Vegas NV 89030

Sheriff Douglas Gillespie
    3141 E Sunrise Ave
    Las Vegas NV 89101

Chief Mark Paresi
    1301 E Lake Mead Blvd
    North Las Vegas NV 89030

Lady and Gentlemen,

As you know, the Nevada Revised Statutes concerning firearms law were recently amended in the 74th Legislative Session, effective October 1, 2007.

Among the changes were NRS 244.364, 268.418, and 269.222, which were amended to state:

Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county, city nor town may infringe upon those rights and powers.

Further, NRS 244.364, 268.418, and 269.222 state:

The governing body of a county/city/town may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require: (a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required. (b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

Lastly, Section 5 of Chapter 308, Statutes of Nevada 1989, at page 653, was amended to read as follows:

The provisions of this act, as amended on October 1, 2007, apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989.

A board of county commissioners, governing body of a city and town board in a county whose population is 400,000 or more shall amend any ordinance or regulation adopted by that body before June 13, 1989, that does not conform with the provisions of NRS 244.364, as amended by section 1 of this act, NRS 268.418, as amended by section 2 of this act or NRS 269.222, as amended by section 3 of this act, as applicable, by January 1, 2008. Any ordinance or regulation that does not comply with the applicable provision by January 1, 2008, shall be deemed to conform with that provision by operation of law.

Clearly, handgun registration in Clark County was grandfathered, if amended to allow residents 72 hours and non residents 60 days in which to register.

In view of the phrase apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989, it is equally clear the law does not grandfather any other county/city ordinances; indeed, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada.

We have completed a review of Las Vegas and North Las Vegas municipal codes and Clark County code (at www.ordlink.com/codes/lasvegas/index.htm, http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com...egas/index.htm and www.ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm) and note the required changes are not reflected therein. Clearly, virtually all of the city/county firearms related ordinances (as posted at the above noted links) are now null, void and unenforceable.

Have the city/county ordinances been repealed/amended? Or is there a move afoot to do so as required by Nevada law? Have the sheriff and city police departments been informed that most of the ordinances are now, or on January 1, 2008 will be, null, void and unenforceable?

As we enjoy visiting your fine cities, the 424-member Stillwater Firearms Association and untold numbers of Clark County and Nevada law abiding citizens anxiously await your response.

I can be reached via email at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Copies to:

Governor Jim Gibbons
    State Capitol
    101 N Carson St
    Carson City NV 89701

Attorney General Catherine Masto
    100 N Carson St
    Carson City Nevada 89701-4717

Senator Mike McGinness
    770 Wildes Rd
    Fallon NV 89406-7843

Senator John Lee
    3216 Villa Pisani Ct
    North Las Vegas NV 89031-7267

Senator Bob Beers
    9428 Grenville Ave
    Las Vegas NV 89134-6206

Senator Warren Hardy
    5070 Arville St #4
    Las Vegas NV 89118-4904

Assemblyman Pete Goicoechea
    P O Box 97
    Eureka NV 89316-0097

Assemblywoman Francis Allen
    P O Box 34718
    Las Vegas NV 89133-4718

Assemblywoman Valerie Weber
    10001 Harpoon Cl
    Las Vegas NV 89117-0931

Churchill County District Attorney Art Mallory
    365 S Maine St
    Fallon NV 89406

Mr Frank Adams
    Executive Director, Nevada Sheriffs and
    Chiefs Association
    P O Box 3247
    Mesquite NV 89024

Ms Carrie Herbertson
    NRA ILA State & Local Affairs Division
    555 Capitol Mall, Suite 625
    Sacramento CA 95814

Mr Glen Caroline
    NRA ILA Director, Grass Roots Division
    11250 Waples Mill Rd
    Fairfax VA 22030

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I agree with your sentiments and anger but would like some clarification.

Clark County 72 hour wait applies to handgun purchases at gun shows and has for some time and guns must be picked up at a local dealer. If your dealer is out of town you pick it up at a local dealer after your seller does a dealer transfer to them. If, however, you have an execreble blue card or a CHL, you may take it with you after the paperwork is complete and your blue card given to you.

I did not attend this weekend's show so I'm wondering: Has this situation changed? Must all purchasers now wait for the next business day to pick up from the dealer's store?

Please clarify--and do be sure to vote. I'd love to see the 'honorable' harry reid replaced.

YES it has changed, please read my previous post carefully.

In a nutshell regardless of whether or not you have a blue card and or CCW you can no longer take a handgun with you purchased from ANY GUN SHOW AT CASHMAN field or within the Las Vegas city limits.

You must bend over and either go to the dealers place of business if local or pay an additional shipping & transfer fee if dealer and or yourself is not a local resident.

If your dealer you purchased your handgun from is local you can pick it up from said dealer the same day if he transports it to his local place of business the same day.

Visit Mike Huckabee on the issues and policies; the only presidential canidate in any party with a CCW and the first Governor in the U.S. to have a CCW:

In reference to:

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    YES it has changed, please read my previous post carefully.

And

... yet another ridiculous, unconstitutional 2nd Amendment infringement has been placed on law-abiding gun buyers, owners, dealers and the like.
    You do not mention WHO 'placed this requirement' upon the Clark County citizenry.

Who implemented this 'requirement'? Is it a LAW/ORDINANCE? Or is it merely a policy implemented by the gun show promoter? If it is a policy implemented by the gun show promoter, I suspect there is little you can do - besides boycott the show.

It obviously is NOT a state nor federal law.

If it is a county or city ordinance, by what authority was it enacted and HOW could it be harmonious with Nevada law? See my post above, including our club letter to several Clark County officials.

You have REALLY aroused my curiosity. Perhaps we need some facts.

The show promoters had nothing to do with this piece of b.s.

City of Las Vegas/Las Vegas City Council/Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Gun Grabbing Goodman all had a hand in it; it became official in the last few weeks.

Finding more specific details on it is going to require a visit to city hall and a F.O.I.A. or equivalent request.

This has to be one of the most underhanded pieces of local legislation in recent history.

It was very sneakily put in under the radar and most dealers and anybody visiting the show did not find out until the first day of the show...

Since any gun show worth a darn in Clark County occurs within Las Vegas city limits this is significant.

Mike Huckabee on the issues & policies:

Did you read my letter posted in this thread?

Has anyone challenged this recent local ordinance (or whatever it is)?

I am still awaiting a reply to the letter.

To date, NO ONE has been able to disagree with my letter.

I'm told the NRA General Counsel (lawyers) even agree.

I'm anxious to see how it shakes out.

-------
    "... visit to city hall and a F.O.I.A. or equivalent request."

Huh? A visit to city hall is a maybe. But an FOIA request? Since when does a citizen need to submit an FOIA request in order to view laws/ordinances??
    Last edited by varminter22; 12-19-2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: add question

JUST A THOUGHT.

Could this be a new interpretation of Las Vegas and/or Clark County Business License rules and regulations. They will stoop to any level to hinder anything involving guns.
    The more I practice, the 'luckier' I get!

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    Did you read my letter posted in this thread?

Has anyone challenged this recent local ordinance (or whatever it is)?

I am still awaiting a reply to the letter.

To date, NO ONE has been able to disagree with my letter.

I'm told the NRA General Counsel (lawyers) even agree.

I'm anxious to see how it shakes out.

-------
    "... visit to city hall and a F.O.I.A. or equivalent request."

Huh? A visit to city hall is a maybe. But an FOIA request? Since when does a citizen need to submit an FOIA request in order to view laws/ordinances??
    Yes, I read your well written letter and look forward to anybody it was addressed to responding...

I am not aware of anybody challenging this to date; I have not even seen it on the news yet; this is how these gun grabbers work now days; under the radar...
    I am hoping that my fellow citizens will get busy and do as I have and start writing letters and making phone calls...

I generically stated that a "visit to city hall and a F.O.I.A. or equivalent request" was in order because according to the the dealers and promoters of the show(s) the ink is barely dry on this latest infringement. I only meant that some kind of formal request may be required; as some kind of lame interference by Oscar Gun Grabbing Goodman's cronies...

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    JUST A THOUGHT.

Could this be a new interpretation of Las Vegas and/or Clark County Business License rules and regulations. They will stoop to any level to hinder anything involving guns.
    IF so, it will be unlawful - at least on January 1, 2008.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast