Man locked up for protecting his property with gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man locked up for protecting his property with gun

Man locked up for protecting his property with gun

I read this when it first popped up on the news and I have to say from what little information they posted about it. It seems like this man was shafted so the powers that be could make a point! One has to ask had we had a gun display law on the books would he have been charged?

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Some additional info:

Bird rejected an initial plea deal. Prosecutors said he could have walked free if he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, but he went to trial hoping a jury would find him not guilty.

The state Supreme Court upheld Bird's conviction after taking a look at his appeal. It noted some specific points about the case in its decision, saying a person does have the right to use non-deadly force to terminate a criminal trespass.

However, the court determined that Bird knew the woman was in the area and was lost because his niece had called him to tell him the woman was heading his way.

Bird''s prison sentence for criminal threatening with his gun on his own property isn't the first time he's come up against law enforcement.

In 2002, he was fined for "unauthorized use of firearms" for being in a "compact part of Moultonborough" and "discharging a pistol ... without written permission of the chief of police."

So do we blame the jury of his peers for this?

What happened to NH's motto, "Live free or die?"

The other night a Boston Fire Fighter who lives in Brockton hear a burglar in the house and got up with an unregistered pistol and accidentally shot his girl friend. He'll get screwed for that.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

"He's a kind, gentle man, and the punishment just does not fit the crime," said friend Chris Shipp

"screaming, 'Get the F off my property.'"

"By him brandishing, waving a gun around at her,"

If what the report says is true; he doesn't seem so kind to me. He should have just called the cops..
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    What happened to NH's motto, "Live free or die?"

The other night a Boston Fire Fighter who lives in Brockton hear a burglar in the house and got up with an unregistered pistol and accidentally shot his girl friend. He'll get screwed for that.
    Maybe the people of the state of New Hampshire want to avoid stuff like this:

Gayle and Sheila Muhs were charged with murder after they shot and killed a 7-year old boy they thought was trespassing on their land.

I think the Muhs are scheduled for trial soon. They were indicted for attempted murder and murder.

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    If what the report says is true; he doesn't seem so kind to me. He should have just called the cops..

From what I've heard about the case the lady was supposedly lost looking for a house for sale that was near his house. She encountered a lady who gave her directions to the house but NOT to Mr Bird's house. His whole driveway is lined with No Trespassing signs. She was REPEATEDLY told to leave the property and REFUSED. That's when he waved the gun around, at no point in time did he even aim the gun in her direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LilRedMeanie View Post
    From what I've heard about the case the lady was supposedly lost looking for a house for sale that was near his house. She encountered a lady who gave her directions to the house but NOT to Mr Bird's house. His whole driveway is lined with No Trespassing signs. She was REPEATEDLY told to leave the property and REFUSED. That's when he waved the gun around, at no point in time did he even aim the gun in her direction.
    but apparently the jury didn't think so.

Again I ask, do you blame the jury for this? If they had decided he was not guilty would you be praising them?

what did you think of the OJ jury decisions? The original criminal case? the subsequent civil case? and the last criminal case? Were they all wrong?

Sounds guilty me but the sentence is a bit harsh.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18
    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast