Transporting Handgun in NJ
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Handgun in NJ

1. Transporting Handgun in NJ

I have CCW permits for FL,NH and Maine. Obviously I am concerned not to get
    arrested just getting to any state from NJ that honors my CCW permits. I am aware of the NJ laws that its ok going to and from ranges,gunsmiths. What about driving from NJ across to PA, De, etc. or going to Newark Airport. I spoke with the State Police Firearms Div in Trenton and also with the Port Authority Police in NJ. The SP said I'm ok driving under USCA 18 making sure all is cased and locked in trunk. PAP said to just follow the individual air line regs. Has anyone done this??? Would like what they said confirmed by others who have
    actually done it. Driving and flying from Newark. Does FOPA work??

Cased and Locked, -AND- locked in the trunk, seperate from the ammunition. Do I need to mention UNloaded? These precautions should get you into PA without any problems, or anywhere else -out- of New Jersey. Your carry permits won't carry any value here.

I haven't flown with any firearms. I'd like to - heading for AZ and NV next month - but I'd be really, really cautious about even approaching Newark Airport with firearms. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Ektarr; 01-29-2008 at 08:10 PM.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

4. Thanks for the input, it does support what I thought about car travel, do you think it would also apply from NJ into NY state then into Vermont, NH and Maine
    where I also have CCW Permits. (Not NY state) I still would like to have someone share their experience with air travel from NWK. If I hear anything on another forum I will share it here.

I dunno...New York's a funny call. We have property in New York and there's plenty of room to shoot there. I have taken guns up there, both for carry and for fun (on the property!), but I'm anxious about transporting through the State. Maybe one of the New York guys can shed better llight on this.

As for carrying, generally...gun, knife, bludgeon, whetever...I can only reiterate what I've said in another forum on the matter...
    ...I'm of the opinion that the only reason a cop will pick you out to pick on is if he has his attention drawn to you...a condition over which you have the best control. Drive sanely, but not like a priest. Don't dress or act like an a'hole. Keep your mouth shut and be polite when you DO have to interact with people and, by and large, you'll just blend in.

6. Transporting without Firearms ID card.

I am just about to move back to NJ from FL. When I turned 21 down here Bought a XD .45 pistol. When I go back am I going to be allowed to take my gun to the range without having an ID card. Also I bought the gun legally at my local gun shop in FL and also have a FL CCW permit.

Unless something's changed while I was asleep, there's no obligation to register a firearm bought legally elsewhere then brought into the State. You should also be able to take it to a range (same transport rules apply as above) but your FL CCW has no vale here. Neither does mine. But check real laws...I'm no Authority.

I flew out of Newark airport with a declared handgun. Cased, locked, and unloaded, in full compliance with TSA regulations and the airline's requirements. I was not asked to show proof of ownership or registration, nor was I asked for my firearms ID card (not within the scope of TSA anyway).

I flew out, and flew back, with no problems. Just make sure you declare your firearm in your checked luggage to the airline counter clerk. They'll give you a form to sign, stating that the firearm has been declared and that it is not loaded.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not required to label any luggage as containing firearms. In fact, it is illegal, as per the FAA, to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerick View Post
    I am just about to move back to NJ from FL. When I turned 21 down here Bought a XD .45 pistol. When I go back am I going to be allowed to take my gun to the range without having an ID card. Also I bought the gun legally at my local gun shop in FL and also have a FL CCW permit.
    With all due respect, are you crazy? Why in the world you you move away from the Great state of Florida and back to this godforsaken People's Republic?

There have been several instances of non-residents passing through NJ and NY and getting arrested. Here's a link to the most known case.

I tell my students do not go through a State other than ground transportation (in your own or rented vehicle) through a State that requires an ID, license or permit for simple posession (i.e. IL, MA, NJ and NY(C)). There have been instances where LEOs from these States go out of their way stop and harass motorists without of State plates, particular plates issues by States that are 2A (IL LEOs stopping motorists from IN, KY or MO, NJ/NY LEOs stopping motorists with NH, PA or VT plates).

Former AG Gonzales has stated the FOPA does apply to air travel. The NJ/NY port authority has dropped the charges in the case mentioned above.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

FOPA protects you during interstate travel if
    --the firearms are transported unloaded, cased, and inaccessible to the passenger compartment;
    --the firearms are legal to possess in the state of origin;
    --the firearms are legal to possess in the state of destination;
    --you make no substantial stops in travel, except for fuel or emergency repairs (stopping to visit with friends or relatives may put you at risk)

As far as New Jersey, a recent NJ Supreme Court Case, State v. Carty, the court held that police cannot request to search your vehicle for an ordinary traffic stop; the officer must have reasonable suspicion that a crime is being, or about to be, or has been committed. Appearing "nervous" or "unsettling" is not grounds for suspicion of criminal activity. Even though firearms were not an issue in the case, it is still of interest to us because police cannot pull us over and search our vehicles.

Erowid Law Vaults : New Jersey Supreme Court : Traffic Search Requirements Dramatically Increased (State vs SJ Carty)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast