N.J. residents must show 'justifiable need' to get permit to carry handgun in public,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N.J. residents must show 'justifiable need' to get permit to carry handgun in public,

Angry N.J. residents must show 'justifiable need' to get permit to carry handgun in public,

PHILADELPHIA — New Jersey's law requiring residents show a “justifiable need” to get a permit to carry a handgun in public was upheld by a federal appeals court.

A mandate that residents demonstrate an “urgent necessity for self-protection” to get authorization to publicly carry a handgun doesn’t run afoul of U.S. constitutional protections of the right to bear firearms, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals in Philadelphia ruled Wednesday.

“The justifiable need standard is a longstanding regulation that enjoys presumptive constitutionality,” the panel wrote.

The ruling comes more than four months after the U.S. Supreme Court rebuffed a similar Second Amendment challenge to New York state’s requirement that people wishing to carry a handgun in public show a special need for protection.

Alan Gura, an Alexandria, Va, attorney who represented New Jersey residents challenging the state’s gun- permit law, didn’t immediately return a call after regular business hours Wednesday seeking comment on the ruling.

In the 2010 lawsuit in federal court in New Jersey, four state residents, along with the Second Amendment Foundation Inc. and the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs Inc., argued the justifiable-need standard violated their constitutional rights.

N.J. residents must show 'justifiable need' to get permit to carry handgun in public, court agrees | NJ.com

3. I.ve said it before and I'll say it again. NJ is a right denied state I don't care what it says on the map. You aren't getting a CCW in NJ unless your retired LE period. If you get one for you job or the type of job you do your CCW expires at the close of business.

what he ^^^^ said

5. I know first hand. What we do here is get the non resident Utah CCW permit which let's us carry in 33 states.

NJ Has no reciprocity with Utah and no rights under the 2nd Amendment. You can access the NJ (oppressive) gun laws at http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearm...itle13ch54.pdf and http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf
    Sorry!

I just looked on the USA Carry map for UT (non-resident). Here you go: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

NJ is is in red. Therefore, UT doesn't work for a NJ resident either.

If for some reason this has changed recently and this is wrong, please inform Luke to change the map, however, in my time here, he has done an exemplary job keeping those maps up-to-date.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I just looked on the USA Carry map for UT (non-resident). Here you go: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

NJ is is in red. Therefore, UT doesn't work for a NJ resident either.

If for some reason this has changed recently and this is wrong, please inform Luke to change the map, however, in my time here, he has done an exemplary job keeping those maps up-to-date.

No need to change the map. Luke's map is right on. It is as if the 2nd Amendment doesn't exist in NJ. You almost have to be a victim of repeated assaults before qualifying for a Carry Permit in NJ.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

This shows that fighting these laws in court do not justify the cost/benefit. They need to be clarified in the legislature. It is obvious that the court does not care about the what the Constitution says or that they don't consider the right to keep and bear according to a traditional interpretation of the constitution but rather whatever way the wind blows today.

I think we need to double and redouble the efforts to fight for our rights in the legislature as opposed to the court system. The other thing that might help is to have more traditionalist judges appointed. I don't get how making someone prove that there is a danger to themselves is required before the state "lets" them carry is a legitimate legal principle/doctrine. Who pulled that one out of the rear end?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast