Hollow Point Question - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Hollow Point Question

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    81
    My understanding is that off-duty LE, even under LEOSA, must abide by the 15 round mag law and the no hollow points law.

    I am aware of arrests being made for these issues in NJ, regardless of the intent of LEOSA.

    I have read that a newer version of this law will be coming up this year that will block these sorts of laws in circumvention of the intent of LEOSA.

    I'll be traveling to NJ next month (not by choice) and plan on carrying the Glock 19 instead of my G17 duty weapon, and loading with EFMJ ammo instead of my issued Gold Dot loads.

  2.   
  3. #22
    NJ is a state of the criminals, by the criminals and for the criminals. They outlaw hollow points to protect their criminal enterprises. Same reason Chicago hates guns in the hands of ordinary folk.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

  4. #23

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    My understanding is that off-duty LE, even under LEOSA, must abide by the 15 round mag law and the no hollow points law.

    I am aware of arrests being made for these issues in NJ, regardless of the intent of LEOSA.

    I have read that a newer version of this law will be coming up this year that will block these sorts of laws in circumvention of the intent of LEOSA.

    I'll be traveling to NJ next month (not by choice) and plan on carrying the Glock 19 instead of my G17 duty weapon, and loading with EFMJ ammo instead of my issued Gold Dot loads.

    Pardon my last post..... I failed to mention that magazine capicity limitations are not found in the language of the officers safety act..

    If you are aware of arrests being made charging lawful carriers of the act in question, the defendant will soon be a plaintiff in a cival case against the state of new jersey who will find themselves in the position of defendant. Unlawful arrest issue.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    You can't even pump your own gas. Gun owners are made to jump though hoops. The taxes are among the highest in the nation.

    IMO, NEW JERSEY SUCKS.
    I've often referred to NJ as "The Arm-Pit of the East Coast"..

    I know the laws here in MA ain't all that sane but...

    Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    81
    LEOSA only allows concealed carry by retired and out of state officers, my understanding again is that it does not trump other laws that must be followed from state to state, with New Jersey being a particular issue.

    A couple of postings that outline the position of the folks running that state;

    http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj...uide/pdfs/hr-218.pdf


    New Jersey State Police - Retired Officers Right To Carry


    I think it best to avoid the issue than get arrested and spend time in jail on felony charges, and a bunch of money on lawyers, in the slim hope of a long term payoff with a lawsuit.

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    LEOSA only allows concealed carry by retired and out of state officers, my understanding again is that it does not trump other laws that must be followed from state to state, with New Jersey being a particular issue.

    A couple of postings that outline the position of the folks running that state;

    http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj...uide/pdfs/hr-218.pdf


    New Jersey State Police - Retired Officers Right To Carry


    I think it best to avoid the issue than get arrested and spend time in jail on felony charges, and a bunch of money on lawyers, in the slim hope of a long term payoff with a lawsuit.
    I really do appreciate the communication on this matter and my intent is not to argue or debate. That being said, the above posts are relative to N.J. laws regarding the retired officers from New Jersey having an easier time to get a New Jersey Permit to Carry. Your above post is very informative, but it has no relationship to the Officers Safety Act passed by the United States Congress. This Officers Safety Act does in fact trump state laws from state to state including the much maligned state of New Jersey. If the above Act on the federal level did not trump state law, it would not be worth the paper it was written on and it would totally miss the point of passing such law to begin with. I understand your thoughts, but do not confuse New Jersey legislation regarding the retired officers right to carry and the Washington passed legislation that I have been addressing. As to the hollow point issue, New Jersey, through their own legislation, can prohibit anyone they wish from carrying H.P. ammunition. If a retired officer is carrying under the color of the Officer Safety Act, state law addressing hollow points is mute, much to the regret of the Trenton politicians. This a very confusing matter because of the two levels of legislation.

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I've often referred to NJ as "The Arm-Pit of the East Coast"..

    I know the laws here in MA ain't all that sane but...

    Peace...
    A friend of mine used to say that if they were going to give the earth and enema that NJ is where they would stick it. I can't say as I have only traveled through NJ a few times and never stopped but NJ doesn't have a great reputation.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    A friend of mine used to say that if they were going to give the earth and enema that NJ is where they would stick it. I can't say as I have only traveled through NJ a few times and never stopped but NJ doesn't have a great reputation.
    I never liked New Jersey.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    81
    New Jersey's opinion is that they can still ban the carry of JHP ammo while allowing concealed carry by out of state LEOs under LEOSA.

    Regardless of who is correct, one would have to endure a felony arrest and court time, lawyer bills, etc., just to prove a point.

    I think I'll just carry EFMJ and not worry about the issue.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    Avoid NJ in general and it's no issue. I have no business there nor will I ever. Sorry to bash, but I live in MA and the crappy F'ed up laws in NJ make me feel better.

    Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast