Hollow Point Question
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollow Point Question

1. Hollow Point Question

I am a retired NYC Police Officer. After retiring I have had a carry permit in Pennsylvania I then moved to Florida where a carry permit was not needed. I am now living in NJ and find I must go through the whole process of applying for a carry permit (which I may not get) as though I never held a pistol. What a state!!

The question I have is: I heard NJ is the only state that does not allow hollow point ammo to be used other than in your own home. Is this true?

This site may answer your question: New Jersey State Police - Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen

Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." N.J.S.A 2C:39-6g.

If the sportsman's club member plans to hunt with a rifle and use hollow nose ammunition in a state where this is permitted, he must comply with the provisions of U.S.C.A. 926A and N.J.S.A 2C:39-6(f) and (6)(g), which is consistent with the federal law, in transporting the firearm and ammunition. The firearm should be unloaded and neither the firearm nor the ammunition should be readily accessible from the passenger compartment. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the firearm and the ammunition should be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or the console. 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

In addition, the sportsman should have a valid hunting license in his possession from the state in which he plans to hunt and should be familiar with that state's gun laws. N.J.S.A 2C:39-6(f)(2) requires a person hunting in this State to have a valid hunting license in his possession while traveling to or from the hunting area. Hunting with hollow nose ammunition is permitted in New Jersey. In the case of a New Jersey resident traveling to another state to hunt, it logically would follow that the hunting license would be from the state where the hunter is going. Although the federal statute does not require possession of a hunting license, it does require that the person transporting the firearm be going to a state where possession of that object is lawful. A valid hunting license from that state effectively supplies the proof.

These conditions for use and transport of hollow nose ammunition are consistent with the legislative intent to restrict the use of such ammunition to a limited number of people. It is well established that in construing a statute exceptions are to be "strictly but reasonably construed, consistent with the manifest reason and purpose of the law." Service Armament Co. v. Hyland, 70 N.J. 550, 558-559 (1976). The State Supreme Court has "characterized the Gun Control Law as 'highly purposed and conscientiously designed toward preventing criminal and other unfit elements from acquiring firearms while enabling the fit elements of society to obtain them with minimal burdens.'" Id. at 559.
    Wouldn't you be covered by "L.E.O.S.A."????

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Hollow Point Question

Again this is a great site and I continue to learn. I had a question about transporting hollow point ammo through NJ. I think this answers my question but just to be sure any help would be appreciated.
    Then it is not simply "outlawed to have/transport hollow point ammo in NJ.There are exceptions. I have a Pa. carry license and will be driving to Florida. I guess then all I have to do is keep the ammo locked up but not loaded in handgun or magazine.
    Also as far as what "hollow point" qualification actually is...If the ammo has some type of ball or material in the point (therefore point is not actually hollow) does that actually mean that it will not be classified as "hollow point"? Don't want to be on the wrong side of the law due to ignorance. I know that EFMJ wouild be a good choice to avoid this problem but that is tough to come by in this difficult time of supply and demand.
    Any comments as always will be helpful, Thanks

5. Reply

I don't mean to be ignorant, but what is L.E.O.S.A. ??

Sounds as if you can have hollow point ammo in NJ but you can't shoot anything with it, especially people. As long as you keep it in you house locked up in your safe you are fine. Otherwise I wll defer to the experts as to why you should go to the trouble of gettin it. That is about as bad as you can't pump your own gas in NJ.

I don't understand why they would rather you didn't carry HP's. Just from a safety stand point, their less likely to penetrate the bad guy and continue downrange into some other poor bastard walking his dog.

I just don't see the logic these " powers that be" go by....

Mr Vegas>> If you don't mind. Hollow Points are so lethal. How could anyone be so mean and use that type of ammo?!

Quote Originally Posted by MateMike View Post
    I don't mean to be ignorant, but what is L.E.O.S.A. ??
    Law enforcement officer safety act or 18 USC 926B and C. Honorably retired LEOs with 15 years of aggregate service can qualify in their primary State of residency to carry a concealable firearm. The State must provide LEOSA qualification (not all States do) and qualification must be done at the retiree's expense.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

10. Thanx. I just recently found out I do qualify. It used to be in New Jersey that you had to apply within 6 months of retirement but that has now been changed.

Is there a list of states that don't alow hollow points? OK, we know about NJ but I have a Utah CCW permit and travel between Nevada and North Carolina with it. I can conceal carry all the way across this stretch of the nation with it but don't know if there are particular choice of amunition laws in any of these states. (I also have a Nevada CCW)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast