why the no-BUG law?

Thread: why the no-BUG law?

why the no-BUG law?

I enjoy occasional trips to New Mexico, so I have familarized myself with your firearms laws. New Mexico is the only state (of which I am aware) that prohibits permit holders from carrying back up guns.

I have no problem with that since I rarely carry a BUG anyway, but I am interested in how this law came to be. If anyone knows, I would love to read the explanation. Thanks.

The wise and caring politicians of New Mexico suffer from entomophobia...
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

From what I understand, NM allows you to carry only one firearm "concealed". This being the case, you can OC your BUG.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Yes you can, but then you really aren't carrying concealed.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    From what I understand, NM allows you to carry only one firearm "concealed". This being the case, you can OC your BUG.

gf

back on topic

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    If anyone knows, I would love to read the explanation.
    The point of this thread is to discover what rationale lies behind the law: what was the reason of the legislators for enacting it?

Cool Bug

Anubis: Alabama is another state that says (in Attorney General Opinions) only one gun can be carried at any one time. There was no rationale given for that decision. There are some who say you can OC one gun and CC another without breaking the law but I don't intend to do that without something in writing that says I can.