New Mexico No Longer Recognizes Utah Concealed Carry License Santa Fe - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mexico No Longer Recognizes Utah Concealed Carry License Santa Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Does this change have any effect on OC? Absent the places restricted under federal law (school zones, federal property, etc.) Is OC still possible without a NM recognized license/permit?

gf
    Judging the DPS release, it looks like it only effects CC. Since no permit is required to OC in NM, this should have no effect on that.

Of course I could open a whole new can of worms, as it has never made any sense to me that CC requires a permit when OC does not, but I suppose that is another argument for another thread.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

AZ did the same thing with the Utah permit, for the same reasons. The only thing AZ did was to say if you're an AZ resident you will have an AZ permit. When the new law takes effect, it won't matter. My point is, NM should just state if you're a resident, you have to have a NM permit. And then change to the AK, VT, & AZ way.

"So really what it comes down to is money and as you mention, the whining of the NM instructors who were losing business to the UT instructors. Well, that is how capitalism works. And here comes the government to foul it up. Guess what. Now the UT instructors get the shaft. At any rate, whatever criteria they use to decide whose permits to honor is what it is. (which BTW has me wondering why they honored UT in the first place?) I just don't like being fed this load of tripe that there was some sort of malfeasance at hand."

Come on over for a visit when we get this ridiculous situation straightened out. I do think it is petty politics. There are some in the administration who are anti-concealed carry and are pushing anything to restrict us. That's all I want to say about our local politics, right now.

There is a difference, especially, for those of us who travel to certain states. There are states, such as our neighbor Colorado, which do not recognize licenses that are not issued by one's state of residence. There are other reasons to have your own states license that have to do with federal law and proximity to schools.
    I guess there is/was some whining but when one is selling their time for a particular product getting called a cheat just doesn't go down very well. And while some of the Utah only instructors were giving value for money some of them weren't explaining the restrictions on non-state of residence licenses for out of state travel. I don't want my customers to have problems when they go to visit Colorado, very common, so that's where I'm coming from on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    There is a difference, especially, for those of us who travel to certain states. There are states, such as our neighbor Colorado, which do not recognize licenses that are not issued by one's state of residence. There are other reasons to have your own states license that have to do with federal law and proximity to schools.
    Sadly some of us cannot get home state licenses very easily (MD, NY) or at all (NJ, WI, IL). I live in Maryland finally put in an application for a permit. The Maryland State Police must decide if your reason for a permit is a "good and substantial" reason to issue. If they do, the permit is heavily restricted and for use only when in that activity they felt was "good and substantial" (i.e. transporting a lot of cash). They intimated that I should get issued a permit but there are no guarantees.

Of course, even with a Maryland permit, it is not recognized anywhere outside of the "we take all" states. For that reason, I have permits from CT, FL, ME, NH, VA and UT. Now my UT is only good for MN. I like getting as many permits as possible, but it's damn annoying trying to keep track of all these changes.

Agreed! As far as I'm concerned the only 'gun control' law we need is the 2nd Amendment. Unfortunately, the unthinking who don't trust themselves with sharp objects thrust their insecurities onto the rest of us.

I was born in Clovis into a family that settled in New Mexico before it became a state. Since I live in Kansas which does require live fire but not recognized by NM, I got the Utah permit so I could carry while visiting my old home state. If NM offered nonresident carry permits I would be the first in line to get one.

This sure throws me a curve since I was planning a two week family trip there later this summer. I guess we'll go to Utah, Colorado or Arizona, I really don't want to leave my family unprotected.

Quote Originally Posted by pyth0n View Post
    AZ did the same thing with the Utah permit, for the same reasons. The only thing AZ did was to say if you're an AZ resident you will have an AZ permit. When the new law takes effect, it won't matter. My point is, NM should just state if you're a resident, you have to have a NM permit. And then change to the AK, VT, & AZ way.
    There is the problem In New Mexico you have to be a you have to be a US citizen to get a NM CCW so that is not good to me as I'm a permanent Resident IE green card holder so if they will not allow Utah and maybe Florida there are going to be more people OCing
    A good friend will sit next to you in jail and say damn we had fun

Quote Originally Posted by AussieRogue View Post
    There is the problem In New Mexico you have to be a you have to be a US citizen to get a NM CCW so that is not good to me as I'm a permanent Resident IE green card holder so if they will not allow Utah and maybe Florida there are going to be more people OCing
    I know at least one resident alien Canadian with a NM license. I don't know if he just slipped through or what.

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    I know at least one resident alien Canadian with a NM license. I don't know if he just slipped through or what.
    Interesting I wonder how he did it
    A good friend will sit next to you in jail and say damn we had fun

11. These lies what the New Mexico politican are spreading is to try and weaken the second amendment. Its time to get the democrats out of office and elect true Americans into office. We all know the people who should be elected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast