Self defense shooting in NM - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self defense shooting in NM

1. Quote Originally Posted by H2OProofer View Post
    I don't believe NM has adopted the stand your ground law.
    NMSA 14-5190

14-5190. Self defense; assailed person need not retreat.
    A person who is threatened with an attack need not retreat. In the exercise of his right of self defense, he may stand his ground and defend himself.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

3. Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    NMSA 14-5190

14-5190. Self defense; assailed person need not retreat.
    A person who is threatened with an attack need not retreat. In the exercise of his right of self defense, he may stand his ground and defend himself.
    I knew that ClearSight, but didn't the full version of the Stand Your Ground Law include not being able to get sued by the family or BG you shot?

By the way, I appreciate the feedback.

4. Quote Originally Posted by H2OProofer View Post
    I knew that ClearSight, but didn't the full version of the Stand Your Ground Law include not being able to get sued by the family or BG you shot?

By the way, I appreciate the feedback.
    Hmm, I had always heard of criminal/civil immunity as the "castle law". In 2008 a NM a senator attempted to create protection for those who use deadly force within the law but the legislature shut it down, citing that "everyone deserves their day in court"
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

5. Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Hmm, I had always heard of criminal/civil immunity as the "castle law". In 2008 a NM a senator attempted to create protection for those who use deadly force within the law but the legislature shut it down, citing that "everyone deserves their day in court"
    I stand corrected. Thank you.

Castle Doctrine

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Sometimes the state will prosecute so the self defending person is exonerated in court to preclude further litigation against the GG by the BG's family. There was a case like that in TX when I was there back in the 70s where a guy coming home form his deer lease saw a dirtbag empty his .45 into a DPS trooper's back. He took out the perp and the state tried him. The DA said on TV that they only tried him so that justifiable homicide (attempting to protect a LEO) could be shown in open court.

Of course the idiot "broadcast journalist" wanted to know if the DA was going to appeal the verdict. Never heard of "double jeopardy" I guess. Or maybe he just couldn't spell it...

7. lmao! Doorgunner, I did not know that. Interesting info

8. So I've been doing more thinking about this, since I was watching the news about the hearing today and tomorrow. Sanchez didn't leave his vehicle. The BG busted out his window, and was punching him. That is the same as someone breaking down your door, at home, and punching you. Go SANCHEZ!!!

Loved the BG's cousin on the news tonight. She was saying that it was wrong that her cousin was killed for stealing. LOL.

9. Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

I have no pitty for the criminal in this can or any case for that matter. We could talk about every type of crime violent or not it people should get involved weither its calling 911 or stopping the crime if the situation dictates it to be done safely. I just rescently got my CCW and am waiting for a good holster to start carring( the permit came faster then I anticipated ) but I have stopped a assult with my bare hands and followed a very drunk driver with the operator on the phone and also followed a burgler out of a business witht he operator on the phone, the results were not the same in this cases. I believe its everyones duty to stand up for there community. If everyone knew the good honest people will not take it lying down they will move on. Just my opinion.

11. Agreed> NO PITTY, except for the family, not to an extent that a civil suit should be filed though...

DVNFLY: You have some damn bad luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast