Onondaga County pistol license upgrade to Full Carry APPROVED!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Onondaga County pistol license upgrade to Full Carry APPROVED!

Smile Onondaga County pistol license upgrade to Full Carry APPROVED!

Apparently it IS possible to get a full CARRY license in Onondaga County :D

I submitted a new "proper cause" form (along with copies of a stack of training certificates attached) to the Pistol License Office last week, Judge Aloi promptly approved it, and I picked up my new license Friday.

The pistol permit office did say that it is somewhat rare to get approved for full CARRY and that Judge Aloi is probably more likely to approve it than the other 2 current Judges, but that he just doesn't approve them "willy nilly."

So if you are stuck in Onondaga County with a Sportsman or Target permit, there is hope.

What courses did they accept/recognize?

It's encouraging to see that there is a way to get a Carry in Onondaga County. When you say "copies of a stack of training certificates ", what courses did you take (and how do we sign up) and were these all taken as a civilian (or as a LEO, MIL)? Did you get any feedback from the folks at the pistol licensing office in terms of which courses they recognized, or which ones they didn't?

Onondaga County doesn't officially accept any training or reasons for proper cause, it's all a guessing game and trial and error.

As a civilian, I took the NRA Basic Pistol, Defensive Pistol Skills 101 from Rochester Personal Defense, Combative Pistol 1/2 from MDTS Training and a couple of skills classes from SIG Arms Academy.

Rochester Personal Defense
    SMALL ARMS & PRACTICAL COMBATIVES TRAINING
    http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/Cours...s.aspx?ccid=10
    Last edited by jeffx; 01-17-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: corrected URL

5. Quote Originally Posted by jeffx View Post
    Apparently it IS possible to get a full CARRY license in Onondaga County :D

I submitted a new "proper cause" form (along with copies of a stack of training certificates attached) to the Pistol License Office last week, Judge Aloi promptly approved it, and I picked up my new license Friday.

The pistol permit office did say that it is somewhat rare to get approved for full CARRY and that Judge Aloi is probably more likely to approve it than the other 2 current Judges, but that he just doesn't approve them "willy nilly."

So if you are stuck in Onondaga County with a Sportsman or Target permit, there is hope.
    what reasons did you list on the new "proper cause" form?

Congrats! It is good to hear. I too would like to know what "proper cause" you used.

Here is a good suggested outline someone posted over on Glock Talk and I used a very similar format:

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    A little late but, here's 'one' sample outline for you.

Write a well thought out letter to the judge answering each question he may ask.

It doesn't have to be more than one page. Check spelling and grammar closely. Write it, then think about it for a few days. Then reread what you wrote.

If you know of additional questions the judge has asked other applicants, answer those questions also.

i.e.

The Honorable Judge xxxx xxxx

Dear Judge xxxx

My name is John Xxxxx. I have resided in Xxxxxxx County since xxxx.

I write in regards to my New York State Pistol License #xxxxxxx issued by Xxxxxxxx County in xxxx.

1. Tell him who you are
    2. What is your experience/training
    3. Do you have prior experience carrying - (do you carry 'legally' in other states etc.)
    4. Do you understand the law
    5. Will you obey the law
    6. Do you understand the (tremendous) responsibility
    7. What are some of the reasons you want to carry - (List some activities)
    8. How do/will you protect your firearm from theft out of your vehicle - (There may be times you have to leave it in the vehicle, even if you think not, answer this question)
    ....One answer is something like this: In Car Gun Safe
    9. How do you protect your firearm from theft out of your home.

I respectfully request that my Pistol Permit be amended to remove the (Sportsman etc.) restriction.

Thank you for considering this request.
    PM me and I will send you a de-personalized copy of what I actually wrote.

8. I am going in for my interview at the end of july. Trying to get my sportsman for now.

9. Onondaga CCW

I have twice tried to get my carry conceal in Onondaga County, I have attached my military cert's, Rochester Personnel Defense Certs and membership to different clubs plus additional references that indicate I carry cash for late night bank deposits and have been turned down twice from Judge Brunetti. It is really a shame that the County Leg has tied the courts hands in this regard. Surrounding counties allow their folks to carry and there is no issue. Here in Onondaga in order to carry concealed you either had to get a license twenty years ago or be part of one of the gangs in Syracuse and surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by No CCW in Onondaga View Post
    I have twice tried to get my carry conceal in Onondaga County, I have attached my military cert's, Rochester Personnel Defense Certs and membership to different clubs plus additional references that indicate I carry cash for late night bank deposits and have been turned down twice from Judge Brunetti. It is really a shame that the County Leg has tied the courts hands in this regard. Surrounding counties allow their folks to carry and there is no issue. Here in Onondaga in order to carry concealed you either had to get a license twenty years ago or be part of one of the gangs in Syracuse and surrounding areas.
    My brother has an unrestricted from Onondaga County - but he got it about 30 years ago.

The situation in Onondaga County, like that in Eire county, is why i think we need to take a more pragmatic approach to our second amendment rights.

We can scream and yell that we should be able to carry unrestricted withour any limitations until we all turn blue die.

Instead we should be working for statewide gun control law that standardizes the right to carry (maybe at first we have to carve out an exception for cities lager than 500,000 to exclude NYC from the mix.)

Something along the lines of:

1. Everyone is entitled to a permit for home defense/target practice unless the State can show cause why they should not have a firearm for the following reasons: [we list those reason - the list is part of the political process, tempered by constitutional considerations.]

2. Everyone who takes [list required courses] is entitled to an unrestricted carry unless the State can show cause why they should not have an unrestricted right to carry a firearm for the following reasons: [we list those reason - more restrictive than the home defense course.]

Oh I know such a proposal will attract the ire of the "shall not be infringed" crowd.

But they will all die screaming "shall not be infringed" while the rest of us work toward effectuating the right to carry in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by No CCW in Onondaga View Post
    I have twice tried to get my carry conceal in Onondaga County, I have attached my military cert's, Rochester Personnel Defense Certs and membership to different clubs plus additional references that indicate I carry cash for late night bank deposits and have been turned down twice from Judge Brunetti.
    Have you tried again recently? I personally know of 2 other people that had there restrictions lifted last year and I'm pretty sure one of them had Brunetti as their approving judge, so things may be changing now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast