Handle Pistol at Gun Shop - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handle Pistol at Gun Shop

Just one of MANY reasons I moved from NY to Florida..
    Flights to Florida are pretty cheap from NY and they will let you handle any gun you want down here..
    Maybe you can drive down to PA?? Based on the earlier post, maybe that is a good option for you..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    That's pretty much the norm down here in Ulster County. No permit, no handling the guns. They will not sell you ammo or anything. If you have a permit, some stores will not sell you ammo if a particular caliber is not listed on your permit. There was a great deal on 40 S&W at the local walmart, and the employee refused to sell as I had not yet purchased the firearm, so it was not listed on my permit.

He then proceeded to tell me that we should need notarized forms to buy ammo swearing we would not give the ammo to anybody else. I informed him he was extremely uninformed and gave him by business card. Hopefully I can make a convert out of him yet!
    The ammo thing is BS...they are trying to keep the ammo out of the wrong hands and are just infringing on your rights...there is no law in NYS (IANAL) that says you need to have a gun for any ammo you buy...18 years old and the money should be all you need.....Happened to me in Newburgh...I straightened THAT manager out right away.....22 ammo...handgun/long gun? 9mm..handgun or long gun? 45LC ....see where I'm going with this?

Feel sorry for you poor blastards up there. Why in the world anyone would want to live in such a place in a mystery to me.
    Probably the dealers are just terrified because the law prohibits you from possessing a firearm. I think that is really overboard, checking it out prior to buying really isn't "possessing" it in my opinion.

This is a good case of interpreting the law too literally rather than understanding the spirit of the law, which is to prevent anyone from ACTUALLY possessing a firearm, not handling a firearm.

5. All Gander Mountain stores in NY State do the same thing. They will not let you touch a pistol without showing them a permit first. They won't even take one out of the glass case if you can't show them a permit. This is a store policy and is NOT law. Also, I have a 44 magnum lever action RIFLE. Gander Mountain will not sell me ammunition in this caliber unless I show them a valid NY Pistol permit.

I went to a full service Gun Store and they let me handle all the pistols I wanted. There is no law in NY that says I can't touch a pistol in a store. The pistol ammo thing is gaining some steam in NY. It's getting harder to get 44 mag ammo for my lever action rifle these days. Even WallyMart asks if you have a permit then if you plan on using it for a rifle or a handgun. I've experienced this in both Niagara and Erie county.

If they won't let you handle a gun you are interested in, go bring your business somewhere...it is that easy, you know...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    If they won't let you handle a gun you are interested in, go bring your business somewhere...it is that easy, you know...
    Exactly what I did. Just letting everyone know so they don't waste time going to any Gander Mountain in NY State .

8. I will be putting my app into the sheriifs office in the next week or two. I will taking the pistol safety course. once i have that i am going to have to go into Connecticut to look at different guns. I will be able to rent them and try them with my safety class certificate.

Thumbs up Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnamara View Post
    I will be putting my app into the sheriifs office in the next week or two. I will taking the pistol safety course. once i have that i am going to have to go into Connecticut to look at different guns. I will be able to rent them and try them with my safety class certificate.
    If you are near Norwalk, CT. Check out Forest & Fields. They actually rent Wilson Combats and Nighthawk Customs!!

10. Do they rent all the different brands there? That sounds closer than any of the other places i was seeing on the net. i will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Grunt View Post
    Pretty much like that in Jefferson county
    Pretty much like what?!?
    In Jefferson county I have handled multiple pistols without providing proof of a permit while in a gun store(also in St Lawrence County). I have also purchased ammo without showing a permit in several stores in Watertown. Not sure what you meant by "pretty much like that".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast