NY pistol permit DENIED!!! - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NY pistol permit DENIED!!!

Hunter, let me respond to the three posts above...

1) I have instructed many thousands of students over the years. Courses included everything from basic pistol to personal protection, tactical handgun and urban assault. I've worked closely with police agencies, the military, private citizens, executive bodyguards, bail recovery agents and armed security. Although I teach the NYS gun laws, I am not an attorney and don't profess to know every nuance of the laws. They are very convoluted which is why one partner is an attorney. We provide permit services and upgrades and use the attorney to argue on behalf of the permit holder when necessary.

I have had hundreds of students over the years from Nassau County. Perhaps I should use the word licensing officer instead of judge as some counties do not use a judge in the process. The students I'm referring to have a license as I described it to you, only one of which I've personally seen. Missing information regarding terms of carry or restrictions is open to interpretation under the law. However, that usually is defined as having no restrictions, whether in error or intentional. I only wish I could post a picture of the license, but that's not reasonable or ethical. The student at the center of this discussion is an employee of the county corrections, working in administration (the other two are his brother and cousin but I haven't seen their permits personally).

2) Nassau students attend my training to obtain personal protection skills or for assistance in getting an initial permit, not to get an unrestricted permit. We have not tried to provide upgrade services in Nassau county due to the distance and subsequent cost of the attorney (travel). Our student base is generally Ulster, Orange, Dutchess, Putnam, Sullivan and Rockland counties. All of these counties allow permit holders to file an amendment to lift restrictions. Prior to doing so it is wise to take training in personal protection and/or concaled carry. This shows the licensing officer the student's dedication to knowledge of the subject matter and law. Lifting restrictions is discretionary and the licensing officer must be appeased and confident in your knowledge and skills. Of course your background comes into this also. Those who squeeked by to get a permit may find it more difficult. Those who have held a permit for a lengthy period are more likely to be approved. When facing a tought licensing officer I sometimes recommend the applicatnt become a certified pistol instructor as it changes the nature of when and where he may be required to carry a firearm. Also, a certified instructor is generally thought to be safer than the average public. Where the applicant is denied we generally appeal and make the case directly to the judge having jnurisdiction over the matter. In upstate counties our upgrade success rate is quite high using these methods.

How these people got this permit I can't tell you. I can only explain what we do and what we've seen. If there are clear laws to dispute my statements please provide them to me as I would not want to make statements that are contrary to existing law.

BC out.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Hunter seems to be a lot like "armed n ready" who refuses to accept fact by nitpicking and just being stubborn. I long ago stopped even trying to straighten these guys out after a couple of tries. BCI, I have great respect for your patience and expertise!!!!

4. Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    Hunter seems to be a lot like "armed n ready" who refuses to accept fact by nitpicking and just being stubborn. I long ago stopped even trying to straighten these guys out after a couple of tries. BCI, I have great respect for your patience and expertise!!!!
    My concern is that wrong information posted by BC1 and was blatantly avoiding his mistake.If someone does make a mistake by all means be a man and say look I made a mistake.Possibly you are friends with this guy and need to make him look good,it was easy to pick up on the false information how he said how all his Nassau students had the same judge and have unrestricted licenses.The correct information is Nassau does not issue a full carry license.I wish this was true for Nassau County pistol license holders.Again BC1 avoided it many times over,he needs to be honest from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    My concern is that wrong information posted by BC1 and was blatantly avoiding his mistake.If someone does make a mistake by all means be a man and say look I made a mistake.Possibly you are friends with this guy and need to make him look good,it was easy to pick up on the false information how he said how all his Nassau students had the same judge and have unrestricted licenses.The correct information is Nassau does not issue a full carry license.I wish this was true for Nassau County pistol license holders.Again BC1 avoided it many times over,he needs to be honest from the start.
    Hunter. I have no idea what you're talking about. Same "licensing officer" on each permit. No restrictions listed. I've seen one of the three permits. I asked you to point out any mistakes and you did not. This is like teaching special education. Can't respond to you further. I'll leave you with this... if there are no restrictions noted on a permit, what is the permit? Unrestricted, whether by accident or intent. Learn the law.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

6. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Hunter. I have no idea what you're talking about. Same "licensing officer" on each permit. No restrictions listed. I've seen one of the three permits. I asked you to point out any mistakes and you did not. This is like teaching special education. Can't respond to you further. I'll leave you with this... if there are no restrictions noted on a permit, what is the permit? Unrestricted, whether by accident or intent. Learn the law.
    You claim that you have seen these Nassau County licenses with no restrictions.I know that Nassau County is very strict and has a stamp placed on the top right corner.I understand that these are carry licenses,however, they are restricted and do cause grief if caught while carrying out of restrictions.The upgrade clas you teach does nothing for a Nassau County license holder or applicant.The stamp your Nassau students get are To and from range only,Retired Police/Peace officer or Business.Again all carry licenses.

BC1 ,

God bless you I still dont know what the heck hunter is saying.What doesnt he understand................................
    NRA,NYCCW,PALTCF,FLCCW,ARCCW,DCM,NYSRPA,SCOPE

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    BC1 ,

God bless you I still dont know what the heck hunter is saying.What doesnt he understand................................
    I would say, "English." ;)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    So I see some brothers are starting to see the corruption in New York State and worse yet the corruption in New York City in trying to get a pistol permit. You must have money and lots of it and be a politican to get one. Why would you want to go through the stress when you can get the Utah permit which is good in 30 states, but not in the eastern blue states will accept it. The great free state of Penna will recognize your right to the second amendment. Good lick in trying for the impossible.
    Corruption in New York State?

I live in Upstate New York.
    I was 21 when I filled out my pistol permit application, and 22 when the permit arrived in the mail 10 months later.

I'm not a politician.
    I make less than $30,000 a year.
    I have no military training or police experience.

It wasn't "impossible" for me to get a permit.
    I just put together the paperwork, played the waiting game, and it paid off.

The only "stressful" part was checking the mailbox every day.
    But, I check the mailbox every day as it is, so even THAT wasn't too bad.

You're honestly suggesting that it would be "easier" for someone to move out of state?

Would it have been "easier" for me to move to "the free state of Penna" (where ever that is) than it would be for me to go about my business for a few months while waiting on the mailman?

Obviously the OP's situation is somewhat different than mine. But I wouldn't argue that it's necessarily the typical experience for NYS applicants.
    For every story I've heard of a frustrating denial, I've heard 5 stories of a hassle-free approval.

Don't be so quick to criticize a state that you probably don't even live in.
    Thanks.

oh oh back in the 80s around 1987 some egotistical cop charged me with assault misdemeanor category which was a bold faced lie but i'm sure that record is still standing to this day
    i live in florida would or could that possibly cause me to get a denial when i turn in my application for ccw permit??
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Thinking back, this post seems a lot like someone I helped a few months ago from Westchester. Is this you? If so be assured I won't divulge personal info.

In that case the arrest was for an assaullt and reduced on a plea deal to disorderly conduct. The judge didn't look at the plea he looked at the original charge. The judge made the decision based on the recommendation of the public safety officer who stated not enough time has passed since the last conviction. He stated the reason for the denial as "temperment is not suitable for handgun licensing."

Lot's of people get a permit with a discon conviction. One only needs to flip the bird to be charged with discon so in itself it's usually not a problem. Plus it's not a crime, it's only a violation. Many judges look at the original charge, not the plea. Expunging the record or sealing it doesn't help as the arrest record still pops on a background check. It's the disposition that's sealed.

If this is not JB feel free to PM me. I'll have our attorney look into this free of charge. Something seems very wrong.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast