Moving From Rockland to Dutchess
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Moving From Rockland to Dutchess

  1. Moving From Rockland to Dutchess

    Hello All,

    I'm probably moving from Rockland County to Dutchess County in several months. I have a Rockland concealed carry permit with a sportsman restriction.

    I have two questions. The first is can I just go to Dutchess with one permit and have automatically get it changed to Dutchess or do I have to go through the whole application process again?

    If I go through the whole process again, is my Rockland permit still valid during the time that I'm living in Dutchess even though my address has changed?

    Thanks!

    Mike

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania, Delaware County
    Posts
    451

    Target Permit??

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    Hello All,

    I'm probably moving from Rockland County to Dutchess County in several months. I have a Rockland concealed carry permit with a sportsman restriction.

    I have two questions. The first is can I just go to Dutchess with one permit and have automatically get it changed to Dutchess or do I have to go through the whole application process again?

    If I go through the whole process again, is my Rockland permit still valid during the time that I'm living in Dutchess even though my address has changed?

    Thanks!

    Mike
    A sportsman restriction is not a true CCW "full carry" permit. like other restricted permits, you have to be engaged in target, hunting, etc.. and not just going to the grocery store. Now, if that's the case, just contact Rockland that you are moving and a change of address. Your rockland permit will still be valid during your move as long you don't carry out of your restrictions.

    p.s. you should check around and find out which counties are "pro-gun" and issue non-restricted CCWs, good luck.

  4. Dutchess is one of the counties in New York that issue non restricted carry permits. That's part of the reason I want to move there. If I "transfer over" my Rockland permit does it stay a Rockland permit or will I eventually get a Dutchess permit without the restrictions?

  5. You'll need to go to Rockland County first and tell them you're moving. Do some paperwork there and pay the lady ($5 for each county, you pay it both to Rockland). They will send your paperwork to Dutchess County (DC). DC will notify you when your license is ready. Your "new" DC license will have the same restriction(s) you currently have. You must be a DC resident for 3 years before the restriction(s) can be removed. There may also be a minor caveat depending on if your Rockland license expires or is valid until revoked. If valid until revoked there should be no problem because that's what DC issues. If your current license needs to be renewed every so many years I'm not sure how DC will handle that. The DC permit office # is 845.486.3883.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Heuy View Post
    You'll need to go to Rockland County first and tell them you're moving. Do some paperwork there and pay the lady ($5 for each county, you pay it both to Rockland). They will send your paperwork to Dutchess County (DC). DC will notify you when your license is ready. Your "new" DC license will have the same restriction(s) you currently have. You must be a DC resident for 3 years before the restriction(s) can be removed. There may also be a minor caveat depending on if your Rockland license expires or is valid until revoked. If valid until revoked there should be no problem because that's what DC issues. If your current license needs to be renewed every so many years I'm not sure how DC will handle that. The DC permit office # is 845.486.3883.
    I did call the Rockland pistol clerk today and found out basically what you said here. They were also aware that DC issues carry permits without restriction and thought that it might go right to unrestricted when the paperwork went through.

    Sounds like you know what you're talking about as far as DC. There is no expiration on the Rockland permit, so that part is good. It would kinda suck if I had to wait 3 years to transfer over to unrestricted in DC, but whatever needs to be...

    Are you aware of any other rigmarole I'd have to go through at the end of the 3 year period, or would I just go to the clerk after that time period and do a little paperwork and get it immediately.

    Thanks!

    Mike

  7. Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    Are you aware of any other rigmarole I'd have to go through at the end of the 3 year period, or would I just go to the clerk after that time period and do a little paperwork and get it immediately.
    None that I am aware of. I believe it would be a simple swap after the 3 years has elapsed.

Similar Threads

  1. Moving to Upstate NY
    By Tom C in forum New York Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  2. Dutchess county question
    By ChazC in forum New York Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
  3. Can I target shoot on my property in Dutchess Co?
    By RobbieV845 in forum New York Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
  4. Carry Concealed Dutchess County NY
    By Fman1119 in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 02:50 PM
  5. Thinking of moving to Tenn.
    By boatme98 in forum Tennessee Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 10:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast