Microstamping legislation passes Assembly
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microstamping legislation passes Assembly

Microstamping legislation passes Assembly

The measure would require semiautomatic pistols manufactured or delivered to a licensed dealer in this state to be capable of microstamping ammunition (A.6468C/Schimel). The bill would ensure that when a gun is fired, information identifying the make, model and serial number of the gun is stamped onto the cartridge.

From the New York State Assembly

Crime Solving Legislation Passes Assembly

Measures Expand DNA Databank, Require Microstamping Technology for Semiautomatic Pistols

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Codes Committee Chair Joseph Lentol announced today the passage of legislation that will help law enforcement solve crimes by expanding the DNA databank and requiring microstamping technology on semiautomatic pistols.

"These common sense measures will help protect New Yorkers by vastly increasing information available to law enforcement as it conducts criminal investigations by giving it the tools to forge meaningful links between evidence and crimes," said Silver (D-Manhattan). "I applaud my colleagues in the Assembly Majority for recognizing the importance of this package of legislation. By expanding the DNA database and requiring microstamping on semi-automatic weapons, we can help keep our neighborhoods safe."

"The Assembly has passed legislation today that will take important steps towards protecting innocent individuals from wrongful convictions. It also broadens the DNA database by including all those convicted of violating any crime in the penal law," said Lentol (D-Brooklyn). "In the many years I have spent working on these important measures to prevent wrongful conviction and to help the innocent get out of prison after being wrongfully convicted, I have often been accused of being soft on crime, for trying to help the innocent. Well I say we are being tough on crime, because as long as an innocent man or woman rots in prison, the guilty man is free to walk the streets committing more crimes. The goal, after all, of our criminal justice system is to protect the rights of the innocent and protect society by ensuring that only those who have committed crimes are brought before the bar of justice. The proposals included in today's package are a solid step toward better protecting law-abiding, responsible New Yorkers."

One measure would require semiautomatic pistols manufactured or delivered to a licensed dealer in this state to be capable of microstamping ammunition (A.6468C/Schimel). The bill would ensure that when a gun is fired, information identifying the make, model and serial number of the gun is stamped onto the cartridge. Police investigating crimes would be able to link firearms to those crimes by looking at cartridge cases found at crime scenes.

The Assembly also passed legislation which would protect innocent people from being wrongfully convicted while expanding the state's criminal DNA database (A.6528/Lentol). Specifically, this broad-based, sensible measure would:
    Require the collection of DNA from every person convicted of a crime under the penal law;
    Create guidelines for DNA sampling;
    Establish important privacy safeguards to prevent the misuse and wrongful dissemination of DNA;
    Require the videotaping of police interrogations;
    Provide remedies for those who have been wrongly convicted including an independent Commission on the Integrity of the Criminal Justice System, which would investigate allegations that innocent people were wrongfully convicted of criminal offenses; and
    Allow for special fictitious name - or "John Doe" - indictments that may be used in DNA cases to stop the clock on the running statute of limitations where DNA evidence ties an unknown or unidentified person to the commission of the crime.
    The legislative package also includes a bill that would mandate that the Division of Criminal Justice Services report annually on handgun transactions and pistol licenses issued in New York State (A.10894/Kavanagh). These statistics, compiled on a county and New York City-wide level without identifying any single gun owner, will be helpful in informing policy decisions on whether any further gun legislation might be needed and whether the current system of licensing is operating as the law intends.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I am sure this micro stamping intrusion will get some poor innocent slob convicted of a crime he didn't commit!

This by far the dummest damned thing I've ever read! Now I know why all New Yorkers talk and think differently than the rest of us...
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

5. Gun Crime in New York Will PLUMMET! it will be virtually non existant! Not only will these micro-stamped cartridges give make model and serial number of the gun used, inside the cartridge will be the name and address of the perpetrator... A micro DNA sample (which, of course, will be used in a John Doe conviction, if the name and address turn out to be false, and the cops can't find the shooter)...

Rest easy New York State, Gun Crime is soon to be a thing of the past in your state... I'm sure Wall street will find new and novel ways to make up for the lack of Gun Crime though...

So, will the police have to use microstamping technology too? Or has the government exempted itself and its flunkies from this wonderful technology?
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Microstamping will soon be law in Kalifornia. The police are exempt from having their firing pins stamped. That is total horsepoop. The microstamping can be deafeated very easy with a file to the fireing pin.

The LIBTARDS are out of control and need to be reeled in.

Remember folks, VOTE VOTE VOTE. Project a positive image. If you can't find anything good to say about someone, be constructive, or be silent.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Microstamping will soon be law in Kalifornia. The police are exempt from having their firing pins stamped. That is total horsepoop. The microstamping can be deafeated very easy with a file to the fireing pin.

The LIBTARDS are out of control and need to be reeled in.

Remember folks, VOTE VOTE VOTE. Project a positive image. If you can't find anything good to say about someone, be constructive, or be silent.
    Microstamping will probably NEVER be the law in California. There are requirements in California's version of the law that have to be met before it can be enforced. It is extremely unlikely that the owners of the microstamping patents will meet those conditions as doing so would reduce their control and income.

I'll bet that New York will not make those 'mistakes'.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Microstamping will probably NEVER be the law in California. There are requirements in California's version of the law that have to be met before it can be enforced. It is extremely unlikely that the owners of the microstamping patents will meet those conditions as doing so would reduce their control and income.

I'll bet that New York will not make those 'mistakes'.

Microstamping legislation was passed in California AB 1471 and signed into law on October 14, 2007, but specifically exempts law enforcement.[2]

Firearm microstamping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ummm...So?

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Microstamping legislation was passed in California AB 1471 and signed into law on October 14, 2007, but specifically exempts law enforcement.[2]

Firearm microstamping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maybe you need to reread my posts.

I asked if New York exempted its lackeys from the law.

California has exempted itself from its version the law, but there are still problems with implementation which mean it may never be enforced. If you'd like links ask.

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Ummm...So? then I read the winkpedia.

Maybe you need to reread my posts.

I asked if New York exempted its lackeys from the law.

California has exempted itself from the law, but there are still problems which mean it will never be implemented. If you'd like links ask.
    Yes send the links. I thought this microstamping was a dead issue, but then I read the winkpedia.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast