Moving out of NY. Taking pistols with me questions. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Moving out of NY. Taking pistols with me questions.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania, Delaware County
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Maybe i'm misunderstanding...what does disposing of have to do with moving out of state?
    They mean getting rid of your firearm, by selling or moving. Since the pistols are registered to the City or State of NY and listed on the permits. They want to know exactly where the pistol is located and where it is going. If you sell it or move it, they want to know and documentation proving it. This is the New York State law charging you.

    Any person, other than a wholesale dealer, or gunsmith or dealer in
    firearms duly licensed pursuant to section 400.00, lawfully in
    possession of a firearm, who disposes of the same without first
    notifying in writing the licensing officer in the city of New York and
    counties of Nassau and Suffolk and elsewhere in the state the executive
    department, division of state police, Albany, is guilty of a class A
    misdemeanor.

    The state/city of ny somehow considers any firearm you own, their property and they have in the past confiscated legally owned firearms.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Thank God I escaped 13 years ago!!! Thank God Almighty!!!
    I have a friend that moved down from NY (Born and raised in the city) about 8 years ago, and he still comes up with questions about guns that only someone from NY could ask.. My usual answer .. You have your permit, put the damn thing in your pocket and relax..
    He recovers a little every day, now that he is out of NY.. But it's a slow process..

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Law's Crossroads, SC
    Posts
    2

    Question My only question is ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    They mean getting rid of your firearm, by selling or moving. Since the pistols are registered to the City or State of NY and listed on the permits. They want to know exactly where the pistol is located and where it is going. If you sell it or move it, they want to know and documentation proving it. This is the New York State law charging you.

    Any person, other than a wholesale dealer, or gunsmith or dealer in
    firearms duly licensed pursuant to section 400.00, lawfully in
    possession of a firearm, who disposes of the same without first
    notifying in writing the licensing officer in the city of New York and
    counties of Nassau and Suffolk and elsewhere in the state the executive
    department, division of state police, Albany, is guilty of a class A
    misdemeanor.

    The state/city of ny somehow considers any firearm you own, their property and they have in the past confiscated legally owned firearms.
    if I cross the border leaving NY state (permanently), how exactly is it any business of NY my whereabouts, with respect to me or my weapons? Forgive me I'm rather simple minded ... and don't understand "authority" seemingly extending beyond their jurisdiction. I'll take that towel now!

    Joe
    GOA Life Member -- NRA Patron Life Member -- SAF Life Member

  5. Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    Now unfortunately you have to list being denied for a permit. Did they list any specific reason? Fight it your entitled to an appeal, lawyer up
    Please read the post over again. I was GRANTED a Hunting Target permit but I was DENIED a concealed carry permit on the grounds that self defence is NOT a reason for wanting a CC permit in Erie county.

    I applied for the full, unrestricted permit and was granted a hunting target permit which is useless for home defence because I live in Buffalo and must have trigger locks on the pistols at all times when not in use.

  6. #15
    wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP View Post
    if I cross the border leaving NY state (permanently), how exactly is it any business of NY my whereabouts, with respect to me or my weapons? Forgive me I'm rather simple minded ... and don't understand "authority" seemingly extending beyond their jurisdiction. I'll take that towel now!

    Joe
    I could see this law applying if you moved within the borders of NY, from one city or county to another; but as important as NY lawmakers may think they are, New York law doesn't apply outside New York.

    Quote Originally Posted by Movingsoon View Post
    Please read the post over again. I was GRANTED a Hunting Target permit but I was DENIED a concealed carry permit on the grounds that self defence is NOT a reason for wanting a CC permit in Erie county.

    I applied for the full, unrestricted permit and was granted a hunting target permit which is useless for home defence because I live in Buffalo and must have trigger locks on the pistols at all times when not in use.
    So you applied once and approved once, just not for the full CCW you asked for. Your earlier post could be read that you had a Hunting/Target permit, applied for a Concealed Carry, and were denied. My first sentence means you don't have to report a denial. The second sentence means you do have a denial to list.

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Movingsoon View Post
    Please read the post over again. I was GRANTED a Hunting Target permit but I was DENIED a concealed carry permit on the grounds that self defence is NOT a reason for wanting a CC permit in Erie county.

    I applied for the full, unrestricted permit and was granted a hunting target permit which is useless for home defence because I live in Buffalo and must have trigger locks on the pistols at all times when not in use.
    If you are asked about any denials, (I think NH does ask this question) it would probably still be wise to disclose that info on your NH permit application. In the interest of not seeming like you are trying to hide anything, a simple explanation (just as you have done so here) should do well to set the record straight. I think most issuing authorities in shall issue states know well enough that a denial in NY, NJ, MD, et al, does not mean that they are dealing with a trouble maker.
    Last edited by utimmer43; 07-11-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added content
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania, Delaware County
    Posts
    451

    Beach vs. Kelly!

    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP View Post
    if I cross the border leaving NY state (permanently), how exactly is it any business of NY my whereabouts, with respect to me or my weapons? Forgive me I'm rather simple minded ... and don't understand "authority" seemingly extending beyond their jurisdiction. I'll take that towel now!

    Joe
    A NYC resident had his permit revoked and his guns confiscated when he took his firearms to Nevada for a gun convention. He possessed a premise permit and is ONLY allowed to take their firearms to authorized gun ranges in the city, PERIOD! The court rejected the FOPA argument and determined he violated the NYPD socialist rules & regs. "Possession of a handgun is a privilege, not a right, and is subject to the broad discretion of the New York City Police Commissioner"
    Matter of Beach v Kelly (2008 NY Slip Op 05814)

    They also discussed this on defensive carry's forum.
    Beach vs Kelly NYC - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

  9. #18
    New Hampshire does ask...and as already mentioned...I'm guessing a denial from NY doenst necessary cause a stir.

    Although NH doesn't ask for specifics...just Yes/No on denials.

  10. #19
    wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    A NYC resident had his permit revoked and his guns confiscated when he took his firearms to Nevada for a gun convention. He possessed a premise permit and is ONLY allowed to take their firearms to authorized gun ranges in the city, PERIOD! The court rejected the FOPA argument and determined he violated the NYPD socialist rules & regs. "Possession of a handgun is a privilege, not a right, and is subject to the broad discretion of the New York City Police Commissioner"
    Matter of Beach v Kelly (2008 NY Slip Op 05814)

    They also discussed this on defensive carry's forum.
    Beach vs Kelly NYC - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum
    That resident's mistake was GOING BACK TO NYC. The OP is permanently moving out of NYS jurisdiction.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    If you are asked about any denials, (I think NH does ask this question) it would probably still be wise to disclose that info on your NH permit application. In the interest of not seeming like you are trying to hide anything, a simple explanation (just as you have done so here) should do well to set the record straight. I think most issuing authorities in shall issue states know well enough that a denial in NY, NJ, MD, et al, does not mean that they are dealing with a trouble maker.
    I was NOT denied a permit. I was GRANTED a permit for Target/Hunting only. I applied for an unrestricted permit and they gave me what they wanted......hunting & traget only. Here is what it says, Word for Word:

    Dear Permit Holder:

    Please accept my congratulations on recieving your pistol permit. Enclosed are your permit and a letter outlining some of your rights and responsibilities as a pistol permit holder.

    In addition, please be advised that the Licensing Officer has ordered the use of trigger locks on all handguns.

    Please pay particular attention to the classification under which your permit is issued. To carry your weapon outside that classification may result in revocation of your permit.

    ( ) Unrestricted
    (X) Restricted

    Target only
    *Target & Hunting*
    Security
    Business

    Very Truly Yours,
    Kathy C. Hochul
    Erie County Clerk


    There was also a letter enclosed by Pistol Permit Supervisor William Fowler that has all kinds of warnings about Article 35 NY State Penal law, and using the pistol for self defence, etc. I have no idea how I can use the pistol for self defence when I am required to have trigger locks on it at all times except at the range or when hunting. Nice.. Eighteen months of this crap, hundreds of dollars and multiple trips downtown for fingerprints, paying fees, dropping off receipts etc. All for this?? Thank you Kathy Hochul.

    New York State and New York CITY are very different when it comes to handguns. Only people like Robert DeNiro, Howard Stern, etc can get any type of handgun permit in NY City. I'm not in NYC so those laws do not apply to me. By the way, my NY STATE pistol permit is invalid in NY City. If I were to take my pistol into NY City, it would be like having no permit at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Moving To NY / long Island
    By error404 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 01:44 PM
  2. New To The Site, Had A Few Questions, Open To All Suggestions, 1st Post
    By FieldTester in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
  3. Concealed Carry Self Defense Knife
    By NMGunIt in forum New Mexico Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 10:49 AM
  4. Rental ranges in NY
    By willyNH in forum New York Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast