Moving out of NY. Taking pistols with me questions.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving out of NY. Taking pistols with me questions.

1. Moving out of NY. Taking pistols with me questions.

Hi,
    I'm moving out of NY before Cuomo gets elected. I just sold my house and will be moving to New Hampshire which does not require a permit to own handguns. I have a hunting target permit in NY and would like some suggestions on how to move with my pistols. I can't get out of here fast enough but I am obligated to do this transfer legally. Truth be told, I wish I never took the time to even get a permit in NY. I had to deal with the horrible staff at the Erie county pistol permit office and it took 18 months to get a permit. Then I saw this and I know why it took so long:

Democrats officially nominated Cuomo for governor at the state convention in Rye Brook. His running mate, Rochester Mayor Robert Duffy, received the nod for lieutenant governor. Erie County Clerk Kathy Hochul beat the drum for Cuomo. Hochul said, “Ladies and gentleman, let’s make Andrew Cuomo the next governor.”

Any help or suggestions from people who have relocated from NY would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Congrats on the move. Forgive me, but I do have to chuckle, as this question could only come from a NY native.

Unload them, put them in some sort of gun case (which I would imagine you would do anyway to protect them), put them in your trunk, and drive to NH.

When you get to NH, take them inside your new house, and thank God you now live in a relatively free state.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Congrats on your move. I don't blame you this state sucks!
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

5. I wasn't sure what to do. I thought there may be a NY fee or surcharge to transfer my pistols out of state. Or some more fingerprints and photos plus a couple of trips down to see Kathy Hochul with a money order in hand.

I'll be sending my permit back to NY in less than six weeks! Can't wait to get rid of the thing.

Did you know you can OPEN CARRY in New Hampshire without a permit?? I can strap on my pistol and walk out in the woods legally!

If you really want to celebrate your freedom, once you get to Schenectady, take route 7 all the way in to VT. Once inside VT, feel free to reload all your handguns. Strap one onto your hip, visibly. Perhaps another one in a shoulder holster. Pop a mouse gun in your pocket. Stick one in the glove box, one in the center console, and one in the door flap. All legal, no permit required. Just make sure you unload them all before going into NH. But you don't necessarily have to put them all back in the trunk.

BTW, taking that route will also keep you out of MA, which eliminates one more hassle.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

7. Thanks for the reminder about MA. I won't be going anywhere near that state. Concealed carry permits in NH are simple and painless to get:

"The selectmen or mayor or chief of police shall issue a license to the applicant authorizing him to carry a handgun if he is a suitable person to be licensed and has good reason to fear an injury to his person or property or has any other "proper purpose." Hunting, target shooting or self-defense shall be considered proper purposes."

You've got to love that! I live in Buffalo and there's a shooting here every single day. Self defence is NOT a proper reason for requesting a CC permit and they denied me! I have a totally clean record and have not had so much as a traffic ticket in over 15 years but they denied me!

In NH, they have to issue you the concealed carry permit within 14 days! It took like 9 months for the Erie county pistol office just to call my references! 18 months total for a permit to own and target shoot only plus they said I need to keep trigger locks on it at all times when not in use.

I would like to see all the law abiding citizens move out of all the Marxist cities and states and leaving only street criminals and bureaucratic criminals. Let them devour each other. Leave places like Chicago, NY, LA, Detroit to be just what they have become, storage facilities for human garbage.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Now unfortunately you have to list being denied for a permit. Did they list any specific reason? Fight it your entitled to an appeal, lawyer up
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Movingsoon View Post
    Hi,
    I'm moving out of NY before Cuomo gets elected. I just sold my house and will be moving to New Hampshire which does not require a permit to own handguns. I have a hunting target permit in NY and would like some suggestions on how to move with my pistols. I can't get out of here fast enough but I am obligated to do this transfer legally. Truth be told, I wish I never took the time to even get a permit in NY. I had to deal with the horrible staff at the Erie county pistol permit office and it took 18 months to get a permit. Then I saw this and I know why it took so long:

Democrats officially nominated Cuomo for governor at the state convention in Rye Brook. His running mate, Rochester Mayor Robert Duffy, received the nod for lieutenant governor. Erie County Clerk Kathy Hochul beat the drum for Cuomo. Hochul said, “Ladies and gentleman, let’s make Andrew Cuomo the next governor.”

Any help or suggestions from people who have relocated from NY would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Just to be on the safe side, give Erie County a call and find out if there are specific things you need to do while moving out of the state. I know in NYC, you have to legally dispose of all firearms, which includes verification from the local authority of that particular jurisdiction that you notified them on your intent of possessing a firearm in their district. Plus, you have to attach a letter given reason for cancellation of permit, among other things. If you don't notify the police department first in writing, you could be charged with a Class A Misdemeanor(NYPL 265.10, sub. 7).

I know it sucks, but you would want to dot all i's and cross all t's when dealing with state of ny.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    Just to be on the safe side, give Erie County a call and find out if there are specific things you need to do while moving out of the state. I know in NYC, you have to legally dispose of all firearms, which includes verification from the local authority of that particular jurisdiction that you notified them on your intent of possessing a firearm in their district. Plus, you have to attach a letter given reason for cancellation of permit, among other things. If you don't notify the police department first in writing, you could be charged with a Class A Misdemeanor(NYPL 265.10, sub. 7).

I know it sucks, but you would want to dot all i's and cross all t's when dealing with state of ny.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding...what does disposing of have to do with moving out of state?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast