2011 Anti-Gun Owner Agenda for Albany
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Anti-Gun Owner Agenda for Albany

2011 Anti-Gun Owner Agenda for Albany

Here is the list -
    SCOPENY.org has more details on these proposed bills.
    Question to all readers. What Caliber is your Shotgun? Hmmmmmm.
    Now look closely at the 50 caliber bill.

Cooling Off Period Bill
    Bill to Prohibit Trading or Firearms
    Bill Requrirng FFL on Long Guns
    Bill to add more restrictions to Gun Sales
    Bill to Require FFL on Long Guns #2
    Bill to Require Five Year Renewals on Pistol Licenses
    Bill to Dictate Storage in your Home
    Bill to Expand Gun Show Definition
    Bill Requiring Destruction of Government/Taxpayer Owned Firearms.
    Bill Prohibiting Possession of 50-caliber weapons.
    Bill Allowing Citizens to Touch a Firearm Without a License with Conditions
    Bill to Exempt Wholesalers from COBIS
    Bill Defining Deadly Force Conditions
    Bill to Repeal and Eliminate COBIS
    Bill to Requiring Local PD to Provide Three Hour Safety Course
    Bill Creating the Offense of Sale to a Minor
    Bill Prohibiting Possession of a Firearms in Restuarants Serving Alcohol
    Bill Prohibiting "Undetectable Knives"

Be sure to watch for another run at microstamping too. The new A.G., was pushing hard for it when he was in the legislature, and I'm sure he will use the power of his new office to try again. Should be an interesting season in Albany, lots of calls to make and letters to write.

NY restrict firearms? No, say it ain't so...

I feel for you. I live in MA, and hate this 4-King state. I spend summers in NY at a family summer home. I bring my rifles along to use at a local gun club I have a membership at. I hope they don't start messing with that...

With the current events in AZ, the heat is coming...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

How is this bill anti-gun?

The bill is sponsored by Betty Little, a Republican and Conservative candidate with an "A" rating from the NRA and a 0% rating from "New Yorkers Against Gun Violence"

Did SCOPE just pick out legislation with the words "pistol" in them and jump to the conclusion they were about gun control?

If so, how do we trust SCOPE's claims in the future?

Here is the bill's explanation:

EXISTING LAW :

Section 265.20 of the penal law does not permit any individual applying for a pistol or revolver permit to handle such firearm prior to obtaining a license.

JUSTIFICATION : The current law does not allow for what the safety course was originally planned for allowing the certified instructor to watch how the applicants handles and acts when holding a handgun.

How can a certified firearm safety course instructor accurately judge if someone who has applied for a permit will safely handle a handgun if it is illegal for the applicant to handle a handgun in the presence of that instructor?

Permitting an individual to handle a handgun during the safety course will give the instructor additional criteria in judging whether that person is prepared for the responsibility of owning a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

The bill is sponsored by Betty Little, a Republican and Conservative candidate with an "A" rating from the NRA and a 0% rating from "New Yorkers Against Gun Violence"

Did SCOPE just pick out legislation with the words "pistol" in them and jump to the conclusion they were about gun control?

EXISTING LAW :

Section 265.20 of the penal law does not permit any individual applying for a pistol or revolver permit to handle such firearm prior to obtaining a license.

JUSTIFICATION : The current law does not allow for what the safety course was originally planned for allowing the certified instructor to watch how the applicants handles and acts when holding a handgun.

How can a certified firearm safety course instructor accurately judge if someone who has applied for a permit will safely handle a handgun if it is illegal for the applicant to handle a handgun in the presence of that instructor?

Permitting an individual to handle a handgun during the safety course will give the instructor additional criteria in judging whether that person is prepared for the responsibility of owning a handgun.
    The mere fact that the law making it illegal to handle a firearm is on the books (Section 265.20 of the penal law does not permit any individual applying for a pistol or revolver permit to handle such firearm prior to obtaining a license.) makes this new law just as anti-gun. It acknowledges and affirms the other law as being necessary.

Instead of repealing the previous law making it illegal to handle the firearm, they create another law that allows for it with conditions... WTH??? You really need it spelled out?

Critical thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    The mere fact that the law making it illegal to handle a firearm is on the books (Section 265.20 of the penal law does not permit any individual applying for a pistol or revolver permit to handle such firearm prior to obtaining a license.) makes this new law just as anti-gun. It acknowledges and affirms the other law as being necessary.

Instead of repealing the previous law making it illegal to handle the firearm, they create another law that allows for it with conditions... WTH??? You really need it spelled out?

Critical thinking...
    Uh...maybe you should read the bill first...and then maybe you should look up the meaning of "critical thinking."

The problem I see, generally speaking, is that many laws involving firearms tend to be vague and ambiguous. If you live in a politically liberal state, you are practically guaranteed this ambiguity. I'm sure there are a few states out there that have decent laws, though. Look at anything from New Jersey. Actually, New Jersekstan has gone beyond ambiguous in some areas in that they want to serialize all ammunition in the state, so they can trace and arrest the law abiding citizen who was robbed of his ammunition at gun point by a gang thug. Even in Pennsylvania, the current "semi-castle doctrine" law is pretty vague, and has nothing to prevent civil suits. There's also a few threads currently churning on the "Gun Free School Zone" law and that laws complications. Some of these laws are hard enough to understand and follow, so complicating them further seems pointless, coming from a practical thinker like myself.

Uh...maybe you should read the bill first...and then maybe you should look up the meaning of "critical thinking."
    Read the bill... I see that they don't oppose the bill... Would not need the new law if the other law was not in place...

CONCEPT
    The proposed legislation would permit individuals to receive training in the safe handling of firearms under controlled conditions prior to the issuance of a license. The purpose is to provide for more effective pre license training.

While I agree with the premise of training, its the controlled conditions part that is gray... What stipulates controlled conditions?

If I a permit holder, was to decide to take a friend to the range to introduce him/her to pistol shooting with a 22LR pistol. I am not a NRA certified instructor, but have been formally trained in firearms safety and handling and have a structured approach to handling and using firearms safely. The person I'm with does not have a permit at the time I take them to the range. If this law is still in place Section 265.20 of the penal law does not permit any individual applying for a pistol or revolver permit to handle such firearm prior to obtaining a license. And I allow the person with me to handle my firearm without having an NRA instructor present in a "controlled condition", we have violated the law. Yet I am controlling the firearm and the situation as a licensed gun owner.

Ridiculous...Really... So the father who takes his son to the range with the 22LR pistol breaks the law as well. If the son has no permit because he is under age, he has broken the law. Most of the best gun safety lessons and handling techniques come from this kind of activity... Responsible father and son shooting activity.

Repeal the first law and the need for another law no longer exists. Yet they still see the need to control and restrict...With conditions...

EXISTING LAW :

There are proposed bills that SCOPE supports, Some are need of watching and the others we oppose.
    You must have missed the part that shows that.

We are supporting the repeal of COBIS and we are supporting the Bill you referenced.
    Currently you can handle a handgun if you are under 21 for training but as soon as you turn 21 you are forbidden to handle unless you have a license.
    Does the whole concept need overturning? Yes.
    Will it be over turned? Not if the voters keep voting like they did in November.
    We in NY are stuck with what we have. Between SCOPE,NYSRPA,Conservation Federation and others, we are doing what we can in a desperate situation.
    There are more Metro NY Democrats than there are upstate anythings.
    They will vote the way Bloomberg tells them to vote and unfortunately if not for the work these groups have done in the past, we would be worse off that the folks in Chicago or NY City.

2nd Annual Sportsmen & Outdoor Recreation Legislative Awareness Day is January 25th. Many of the above mentioned groups are sponsoring bus transportation to Albany that day so the politicians can see first hand that responsible gun owners are sick and tired of being blamed for gun crime.

If you can take off work that day you should consider going to Albany with us.

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    The mere fact that the law making it illegal to handle a firearm is on the books (Section 265.20 of the penal law does not permit any individual applying for a pistol or revolver permit to handle such firearm prior to obtaining a license.) .
    I totally agree and the whole catch 22 situation created by that law was no accident. These anti gun groups are tricky to say the least and they got $$$.

Just as I believe that the 50 caliber ban is no accident. Your 20 gauge shotgun or larger can fall into that bill.
    Not only that but this bill requires that anyone in possession but turn them in.
    Once this bill gets in their foot is securely in the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast