Quote Originally Posted by ccdodge View Post
The local range officer at the SP, who is considered the freindly reference for local FFLs told me this:

1. No to non-permitted persons on own property, except for the 18yo to 21 yo loophole, which permits them use at a range. He says a home range in a rural setting fills that loophole, in his opinion.

2. Otherwise a permit is needed, even for spouse. His recommendation was for everyone to get a permit, and in his opinion they will be getting harder to get, especially if the FBI gets backlogged with "other" work, which is a higher priority.

3. He said that open carry on one's property is expected, whether hunting or not. He discourages contact with the public while carrying open, because that tends to cause person with gun reports. He was familiar with my property area, and indicated that he would be carrying if he was in those woods. Made some Thomas Jefferson quote.

Cougars? First one I saw here was 6 jan 96. Many since then. Neighbors have videos, prints. DEC didn't want scat samples, they just say "no cougars". Librarian's husband was paced by one out jogging a couple of years ago. They come and go, but the first year they were here heavy, deer carcasses were in hedgerows, and allot of people lost their dogs when "Fifi went outside for dodo." I've seen them hunting, crusin' the woods, and even with my .45, i probably wouldn't have a chance if one decided I was lunch. nogods, do you work for DEC?
Your friend is wrong about the home range in a rural setting. the exception requires:

at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms

or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by the National Rifle Association for the purpose of loading and firing the same,

A home range won't qualify under those two exceptions.

No, I don't work for the DEC but I know many who did or some that still do. No former DEC employees have ever claimed to have any evidence of such a conspiracy. There is no DEC conspiracy about cougars.

There have been thousands of people involved in wildlife studies in NY over the last decade, both with and without participation by the DEC. None has ever found any credible evidence of cougars in New York.

Claiming there is DEC conspiracy to hide cougars in NY is about as sane as claiming there US is hiding aliens at Roswell.

If you believe either of those then I have to talk about a distant cousin I have in Nigeria who needs someone to help him transfer his recent lawsuit winnings of $6 million dollars to the US. Because of Nigerian laws it can't be a relative to any degree so I can't help him. If you agree to help he'll split the $6 million with you. He just needs your bank account and online access password to transfer the funds into your account.