Permit stamped "recreational purposes"
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Permit stamped "recreational purposes"

  1. #1

    Permit stamped "recreational purposes"

    Does anyone here have this restriction stamped on thier permit. Im curious as to how you perceive the word recreational. Does this mean any type of activities like target shooting, golf, softball, bowling. I think its a little vague myself..Any thoughts?

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by riffmaker View Post
    Does anyone here have this restriction stamped on thier permit. Im curious as to how you perceive the word recreational. Does this mean any type of activities like target shooting, golf, softball, bowling. I think its a little vague myself..Any thoughts?
    I agree it is vague but using reason I believe that it means you can only carry your firearm to the shooting range on the way home you would need to unload it and place it were you would need to get out of the car to reach it.

    I find it odd that you would need a permit to take your firearm to a shooting range but need another permit to carry your firearm concealed when you go about your day.

  4. #3
    Actually it is a carry permit with the recreational restriction, so I have to carry it concealed to and from the range. I was curious about the wording of the restriction. Most other people have hunting and target on thiers. I was wondering if anyone in NYS had that same restriction.

  5. #4
    out in suffolk county they use the word sportsman. Concealed carry, stay out of manhattan and the 5 burroughs. Drive around the city, not thru it. I was pulled over upstate in Walton, no problem. Had my brights on while driving past cop. Was worried about hitting a dear, a couple of days before my father in law hit one with his pickup. I saw the damage, i have a little car, so going back on a saturday nite. had the brights.
    Pulled me over because they thought that i was drunk, which according to them is they find drunk drivers doing what i was doing.
    Assured i wasnt, Gave them my permit along with my license. said i have the registration in glove along with hand gun. they said ok just dont open the glove compartment. Went back to there car, ran my plates and or info, explained thre deal about the drunks and brights. I was in the car the whole time, was very professional and cordial. Never once did they ask about the permit or class of. I tend to think that the important issue is having a current pistol permit in the first place. After giving me back my paperwork, they said to turn the brights off when an oncoming car is approaching. Thats it, no ticket.
    I will say that i was very respectful with the 2 officers, and i apologized for blinding them. Sure story could have went a different way, depending on the LEO, and if i was not polite i guess.

  6. #5
    I agree Hammer..a little courtesy goes a long way. I just wish they would get rid of the unlawful restrictions..but then again..we would have nothing to talk about on the forums...

  7. #6
    Erie County has only 3 types - "hunting/target", "business" and "unrestricted."

    The first two have gray areas, but also some bright lines. For example, get caught carrying at a zoo with your grandchildren under a "hunting/target" or "business" and you might get your permit pulled.

    "Recreational" was probably intended to mean "firearms recreation" - which would probably mean target and hunting. But the broad meaning of "recreational" would include hiking, fishing, and even playing basketball.

    If you want to be safe, you can call the issuing officer and ask for a clarification.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by riffmaker View Post
    Does anyone here have this restriction stamped on thier permit. Im curious as to how you perceive the word recreational. Does this mean any type of activities like target shooting, golf, softball, bowling. I think its a little vague myself..Any thoughts?
    Maybe they mean if you need to shoot someone in self defense, you can only do it if you enjoy yourself?

  9. #8
    I live in a rural county of upstate NY. It might mean recreational bar hopping and cow tipping

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by riffmaker View Post
    I agree Hammer..a little courtesy goes a long way. I just wish they would get rid of the unlawful restrictions..but then again..we would have nothing to talk about on the forums...

    they can label it any way they want, or have to. As long as law abiding people are aquiring them. My wife got hers last summer. She got it in a few months, maybe less, back in 1990 it took me almost a year. Even her interview went faster than mine did. So this is a good thing. I remember when i worked in a gun shop calling Nics, for a background check for a customer. I cant say for all, but people that did not get the ok, there was always a skelaton in thier closet, as far as a spout with a girlfriend etc...

    And the person in nics, on the other end of the phone, had a no, a wiating and a yes as far as someone passing. Someone that gets into fights or worse are not going to pass. System i think works. this is what the antis dont get. you will not have a handgun permit if you are a bad type person. I tell them, go and apply if you think its easy, you may not be able to get one yourself. that is the difference from the wild west days, the NiCS background check when purchasing and the actual process of inquiring a hand gun permit from your state of residence. we are all on a level playing field so to speak.

  11. #10

    not being truthful

    Quote Originally Posted by steelhammer View Post
    out in suffolk county they use the word sportsman. Concealed carry, stay out of manhattan and the 5 burroughs. Drive around the city, not thru it. I was pulled over upstate in Walton, no problem. Had my brights on while driving past cop. Was worried about hitting a dear, a couple of days before my father in law hit one with his pickup. I saw the damage, i have a little car, so going back on a saturday nite. had the brights.
    Pulled me over because they thought that i was drunk, which according to them is they find drunk drivers doing what i was doing.
    Assured i wasnt, Gave them my permit along with my license. said i have the registration in glove along with hand gun. they said ok just dont open the glove compartment. Went back to there car, ran my plates and or info, explained thre deal about the drunks and brights. I was in the car the whole time, was very professional and cordial. Never once did they ask about the permit or class of. I tend to think that the important issue is having a current pistol permit in the first place. After giving me back my paperwork, they said to turn the brights off when an oncoming car is approaching. Thats it, no ticket.
    I will say that i was very respectful with the 2 officers, and i apologized for blinding them. Sure story could have went a different way, depending on the LEO, and if i was not polite i guess.
    im origanlly form jamaica queens nyc. im currently uspstate new york.i have my ccw for new york state and non residency for pa. there is no carry conceal permitt anywhere avalible in long island new york.what is avalible you may ask?. a carry permit restricted to target.meaning you can only carry a weapon to and from the range. the gun must be locked empty and away from ammo.i must say all you long island guys think you can carry on a target permit but you get arrested. so dont tell people you went from long island to upstate with your gun. also new york state does not require you to inform the officer that your armed.my my carry license reads the following. state of new york underneath it list the county .license to carry pistol is hereby granted then it has my name and adress occupation employer . it list no restriction.on the back it says not valid to carry in new york city.dont listen to your wannabe buddies that misread the law and say they can carry because you cant my wife has her licences also and was an armed gaurd b4 we moved upstate. just some advise get your facts straight please. i know all about new york city and state gun laws.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast