Downstate Dems want a fee of $15 per gun and an annual renewal fee of $10 for each

Thread: Downstate Dems want a fee of $15 per gun and an annual renewal fee of $10 for each

Downstate Dems want a fee of $15 per gun and an annual renewal fee of $10 for each

How much is this new TAX gonna cost you?

If you haven’t heard the poem by Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 1892 – 6 March 1984) a Protestant pastor, now is a good time to revisit it.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

How does that apply to New York Gun owners today?

If Senate Bill 2994, which Sen. Eric Adams (D-Brooklyn) has sponsored, becomes law in New York State, owners of all long guns will have to register every such weapon.
    Along with an annual registration, Adams’ bill would impose a fee of $15 per gun and an annual renewal fee of $10 for each gun a state resident owns. The bill also would require that all firearms acquired in the future be registered with information on where and how the gun was obtained.
    State and national gun groups strongly oppose such gun-control legislation. New York State SCOPE president Stephen Aldstadt noted that at this point it is only a one-house bill—just on the floor of the state senate. “But it could easily find sponsorship in the Assembly,” Aldstadt added. SCOPE representatives will be in Albany during sessions in March. To view the SCOPE summation of this and other anti-gun state legislation, go to nyscope.org.

For all you gun owners that are letting the other guy do your fighting,
    this poem is for you.

When the Downstate Dems came for the .50 calibers,
    I didn’t care;
    I didn't shoot or own .50 Calibers….. (Shotguns over 20 Gauge are .50 cal)

When the Downstate Dems outlawed black scary looking rifles and call them Assault Rifles,
    I didn’t care;
    I did not own an AR-15, or a black rifle with a folding stock.

When the Downstate Dems required that any citizen wanting to touch a handgun needed a license to do so,
    I remained silent;
    I didn't own or want to touch a handgun

When the Downstate Dems wanted a fee of $15 per gun and an annual renewal fee of $10 for each gun I own,
    There was one left to speak out.

Gun fee, registration proposed - Outdoors - The Buffalo News

JOIN A GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATION!

JOIN TODAY

Part of the problem is going to be that citizens of states will probably get no help from the feds on this.

SCOTUS seems to feel that registration is not an infringement and was unaddressed in Heller or McDonald (the question wasn't asked and this court doesn't make many extraneous comments). I don't know what they would do if you tried to claim that the state is making you pay to exercise a Constitutionally recognized right. I don't trust this court -- even with 5 who appear to 'sort-of' support 2A rights.

I believe the only hope for preserving - or restoring - rights is for a sufficiently large number of people to make sure elected officials are afraid to infringe lest they lose at the next election.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

4. Enormous Waste of Time and Money

Canadians have been registering all legal handguns since 1934. Not a single crime has been prevented or solved by the handgun registry.

They have tried to register long guns and shot guns for about the last ten years or so. It's cost about two billion dollars, is filled with database errors, ahd has been hacked dozens of times, making it a shopping list for criminals.

Not a single gun criminal has ever registered a gun. Not a single crime has ever been solved or prevented as a result of the long gun registry.

New Zealand eliminated theirs and Canada is in the process of eliminating theirs.

And now, New York State wants to tra-la-la down the same path?

If you are a letter writer, you can find zillions of anti-registry facts and figures. Just google Canada long gun registry and have a feast.

The bottom line is this: Criminals do not register their guns.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. NRA CSSA GOA 2AF CCRKBA / Tactical Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by v65magnafan View Post
    Canadians have been registering all legal handguns since 1934. Not a single crime has been prevented or solved by the handgun registry.

They have tried to register long guns and shot guns for about the last ten years or so. It's cost about two billion dollars, is filled with database errors, ahd has been hacked dozens of times, making it a shopping list for criminals.

Not a single gun criminal has ever registered a gun. Not a single crime has ever been solved or prevented as a result of the long gun registry.

New Zealand eliminated theirs and Canada is in the process of eliminating theirs.

And now, New York State wants to tra-la-la down the same path?

If you are a letter writer, you can find zillions of anti-registry facts and figures. Just google Canada long gun registry and have a feast.

The bottom line is this: Criminals do not register their guns.
    The point is not to get criminals to register, they aren't stupid they know criminals are called criminals because they break the law. The point is to get YOU to register your guns so they know where they are when they want to come for them.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Well, the wealthy don't want to be taxed any further by the state, so the legislature needs a new target(no pun intended). And if they succeed in passing this, which I doubt at this time, due to the shift in the state senate to a Republican majority, then you can expect to see the amounts raised annually. The prices I have heard are $15. per gun to register and then $10 per year tax. If they really wanred to save some money, they could do away with the "ballistic library" for shell casings. It has not solved one crime since it was started about 15 years ago, and costs the state millions a year.

This is because we all know that gun registration prevents crime. Hey bud, we can't rob that 7-11, our guns aren't registered!

I believe it's another ploy to find another way to raise $$ for a broke state. Can't tax us anymore, we're already bleeding out and leaving in droves.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS