Good reason for Schenectady County.

Thread: Good reason for Schenectady County.

1. Good reason for Schenectady County.

I have a friend in SChenectady county who has his ccw with (target/shooting), any idea how hard it is to have those amendments removed. I told him to look for good reason , but I do not know what that would be in his county.

Quote Originally Posted by trol View Post
    I have a friend in SChenectady county who has his ccw with (target/shooting), any idea how hard it is to have those amendments removed. I told him to look for good reason , but I do not know what that would be in his county.
    Typically the only reason that works in states like ,NY,MA,NJ is being a target due to the fact you carry large sums of money, high value equipment etc. The problems with using that excuse "reason" is NY may also have an "Employment" restriction. (MA does). So your still screwed. The fact is just like MA, NY has a system in place so if you want to exercise your constitutional rights you have to choices. 1. Get Screwed. 2. Lie on your app so that they can catch you in a lie or disprove your reason and completely disqualify you. Then theres "one less gun owner" to deal with. From what I know of the NYS system it pretty much identical BS as Mass, I'd advise your friend to contact a firearms attorney. Did he apply for a sporting only permit, or what the just all they'd approve him for? That can be a factor as well.

4. You should have your friend contact Vic, the instructor for the Schenectady county pistol class. He is a wealth of information on how to apply of an unresricted license. 518-882-5626. Chances your friend was in one of Vic's classes.

5. I took the course in Saratoga county and the instructors were from Schenectady. They told us that if we applied for unrestricted we would be denied and have to go through the whole process again. The only counties that have favorable outcomes for unrestricted license are those that have judges that believe strongly in the right to carry. Is there a list of which counties in NY are most likely to issue unrestricted? We are possibly moving to Essex County in years to come and I'm wondering how they are?

Quote Originally Posted by trol View Post
    Trol;

He should request an amendment to his permit to allow "hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, target, competition, mountain biking, carrying sums of money." Since he wants the permit for so many activities he would request the permit be unrestricted to avoid any unintentional or perceived violations of the restrictions, but state he has no intention of carrying a gun on a regular basis. He should take an advanced concealed carry class and write a letter of request to the judge. If there is still a question he may obtain pistol instructor credentials from the NRA and also specify that he will need to carry the gun in numerous teaching venues including sporting stores, private businesses, residences and lands. If approached right this can be done.

At Personal Protection Associates we provide permit services throughout NYS. If you send me an email address I can provide four or five sample letters written by our company attorney. Or have your friend contact me directly and we'll help him free of charge... [email protected].
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by tlester7 View Post
    I took the course in Saratoga county and the instructors were from Schenectady. They told us that if we applied for unrestricted we would be denied and have to go through the whole process again. The only counties that have favorable outcomes for unrestricted license are those that have judges that believe strongly in the right to carry. Is there a list of which counties in NY are most likely to issue unrestricted? We are possibly moving to Essex County in years to come and I'm wondering how they are?
    Generally the licensing officer will still issue the permit but will impose restrictions. Few people will receive an unrestriced permit out of the gate. most counties want to see a period of experience and maturity before lifting restrictions. NYS will not issue permits for personal protection as this is already provided for in article 35 of the NYS penal law.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    Typically the only reason that works in states like ,NY,MA,NJ is being a target due to the fact you carry large sums of money, high value equipment etc. The problems with using that excuse "reason" is NY may also have an "Employment" restriction. (MA does). So your still screwed. The fact is just like MA, NY has a system in place so if you want to exercise your constitutional rights you have to choices. 1. Get Screwed. 2. Lie on your app so that they can catch you in a lie or disprove your reason and completely disqualify you. Then theres "one less gun owner" to deal with. From what I know of the NYS system it pretty much identical BS as Mass, I'd advise your friend to contact a firearms attorney. Did he apply for a sporting only permit, or what the just all they'd approve him for? That can be a factor as well.
    this is incorrect. At PPA we have provided permit services to over 1,700 new applicants with only one denial... a convicted felon who thought he'd slip through the background check. Don't believe the hype about NY. It's a process but once you have the permit you're set for life. No renewals, no qualifiers, no restrictions on churches, banks, public transportation, bars, restaurants, etc.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

It is true that you can and will get a full carry in N.Y. easier than people think, other than NYC. After a couple minor convictions on minor issues I got exactly what I asked for. Target,hunting, hiking, fishing,walking,all buisness purposes which basicly cover 90-95% of the time. It took me 22 months because of unreadable prints and non-notification of the problem to me even after numerous calls. I will get a full carry after a year when I resubmit my reasoning for this. I had NO interview with the judge either. To my knowledge the one for my jurisdiction, not county-wide, is pro-2nd. I think they are too overwelmed with the number of permits here and other issues. List as many REASONABLE reasons for the permit and they should be listed on the permit. Just fill up 90% of your time. You are able to carry to and from all activities I believe, at least thats what the letter I received said. This was in Orange county N.Y. I am always going on a buisness dinner or estimate or to collect money, always on my way to my friends house to go camping,hiking, fishing etc. Oh, I'm out for a walk.

I got my unrestricted just recently, here is what my letter to Judge McGrath (rensselaer county) said.

It is with the utmost respect that I request to have any and all restrictions removed from my New York State Pistol Permit.

I have been a firearm owner for nearly 15 years and a pistol owner since the fall of 2001. My original permit was issued through the state of North Carolina. I received my NYS permit in 2005 after my Honorable Discharge from serving 5 years active duty in the United States Marine Corps. During my time in the military I learned how to safely handle and use firearms of all types. After attaining the rank of Sergeant I received my pistol qualification with a marksman shooters badge.

I consider myself a responsible citizen by all accounts. I have no criminal record and a clean driver's license. For the past 6 years I have been employed by the Department of Defense at [******]. I serve as a [my job] for my department. I am a registered voter, current member of the National Rifle Association, and a small/big game hunter.

The reasons that I request my restrictions removed are simple. I have owned my pistol for 9 years and feel fully capable of proper, safe, and responsible firearm handling. I have been married 4 years and feel it is my responsibility to be the protector of my family. If granted, I do not intend to carry a pistol with me at all times but only in times where I feel it would be appropriate and legal.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter.

Here is a map of countys of NYS put together by a SAF lawyer. Chose wisely if you intend to move here!
    Revised Permit Map
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!