New York Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: New York Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    New York is very unique when comparing how other counties in the state issue permits to there citizens.The trend to getting a permit in a few weeks to waiting over 6 months is common where you apply.Depending what county you live in the paper work is very simple.In NYC and surrounding counties the application is more detailed requiring you to answer more question's.Many people hire a service to fill out the paper work but you still need to get the photos and notories on your own, in some upstate counties the clerk provides that service when you submit the application. It appears that pistol license applications have skyrocketed due to Obama being elected and now creating a delay.As long as you put all the correct information and get four good character refrences your permit well get approved.Remember your permit maybe restricted for target aka sportsman license this is just how many of the counties do it now.Deleware county is the only county in the state that issues unrestricted to every permit holder.Many NY permit holders apply in PA and Florida for a CCW which allows them to carry in over 20 states.
    Any idea how Columbia County is with issuing carry permits?

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by g30sheepdog View Post
    Any idea how Columbia County is with issuing carry permits?
    I know a guy from 20 years ago that had a restricted permit from Columbia county.You need to show proper cause to have a full carry.

  4. Columbia County..

    I am a Columbia County resident...this is a pretty gun friendly area. My permit is "un-restricted" and most others that I know of are the same. I think they have a new process here for permits with a finger print scanner..no more ink. We also have the new style plastic cards which are a major improvement over the old paper versions.

    wilmasboy
    Last edited by wilmasboy; 03-30-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: correct spelling

  5. #14
    Hi Guys,
    I'm new to the Forum and trying to read up on all the good information posted on NY. I live in NYC and have restricted pistol permits. I would like to apply for a NYS CCW permit. can anyone point me in the right direction here? Not sure if I apply with NYPD or elsewhere?

    Many thanks,
    Mike

  6. #15
    You apply where you live. Being that you have a restricted permit from NYC, you would have to convince NYC to give you an unrestricted permit. (Probably not going to happen) You have to apply where you live. Since you live in NYC, your permit is issued from NYC. Your NYC permit is valid in the rest of NY, but you have to follow the restrictions on it.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania, Delaware County
    Posts
    451

    a quick correction

    Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    Your NYC permit is valid in the rest of NY, but you have to follow the restrictions on it.
    If you have a NYC permit(premise/not for carry), you are not allowed to take your firearm out of NYC, not even Long Island. It's on the faq on NYPD's website. NYPD - Permits
    Can I go target shooting outside NYC?

    A NYC carry business license is valid throughout NYS. Premise residence and premise business licenses are only valid in NYC except as indicated in the next section.


    Now saying that, many city residents learned how to circumvent that policy by requesting a "Hunting Authorization Card" which allows NYC permit holders to take their firearms throughout New York State for target and hunting purposes. But the permit wardens at 1PP caught on and stop issuing them unless you can produce a valid NYS Hunting License.

    Like what Sights on Target stated, living in NYC will only allow you to own a NYC permit. A well spent $440.

  8. #17
    1018397-
    Is your permit a premise permit or a restricted carry permit? I assumed you have a restricted carry when you said you have restricted permits. If you have a premise permit, they are not valid carry permits as ricardo900 said. If you do have a restricted carry permit or a business carry permit, you are fine.

  9. It is possible for a NYS permit holder who has no restrictions or Full carry to obtain a NYC Special Unrestricted handgun permit.With the Supreme court ruling of Heller and Chicago handgun ban.Expect more law suits against cities/counties that prevent law abiding citizens from getting concealed permits.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    15

    NYS vs NYC

    I am a former resident of NYC and currently reside in Western New York. Getting a pistol permit was comparatively easy where I am now in comparison to NYCs strict standards. It is very difficult, if not impossible to get a NYC full carry permit unless you are a big name celebrity, retired LEO, or a member of the judicial/legislative system.

    As far as getting a NYC special carry with a NYS permit...good luck! You will not get one unless, well, see above. Bloomberg is such a staunch anti-gun advocate that I can only see regulations tightening. Even with the 2nd Amendment victory in D.C., it will be a while before we see, if we do, any relaxation of NYC gun laws.

    But I wish you luck! After living in Florida for a number of years and having a full carry permit there, it is hard to live in a state that heavily restricts my right to carry a concealed weapon. I have heard that after a few years with a restricted license a full one will be granted, but that remains to be seen! Stay tuned...

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    I am a former resident of NYC and currently reside in Western New York. Getting a pistol permit was comparatively easy where I am now in comparison to NYCs strict standards. It is very difficult, if not impossible to get a NYC full carry permit unless you are a big name celebrity, retired LEO, or a member of the judicial/legislative system.

    As far as getting a NYC special carry with a NYS permit...good luck! You will not get one unless, well, see above. Bloomberg is such a staunch anti-gun advocate that I can only see regulations tightening. Even with the 2nd Amendment victory in D.C., it will be a while before we see, if we do, any relaxation of NYC gun laws.

    But I wish you luck! After living in Florida for a number of years and having a full carry permit there, it is hard to live in a state that heavily restricts my right to carry a concealed weapon. I have heard that after a few years with a restricted license a full one will be granted, but that remains to be seen! Stay tuned...
    The reason for getting a special carry in NYC has to be valid.Remember this is New York & NYC have a May Issue stance.It is posible to obtain a NYC permit, but you need to know how to proceed.Bloomberg has changed his stance,what I mean by this is that he has extended the hours at One Police Plaza to better serve pistol permit holders.The next couple of years expect further challenges to cities & states.SCOTUS said reasonable restrictions,It took two years after Heller for SCOTUS to decide Chicago.Best of luck to all.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast