Alternative Self Defense - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Alternative Self Defense

  1. #11
    one reason i carry a knife and a high power flashlight the clips on my pocket. its a streamlight PT2L, u can get one for about $40 bucks, well worth it and u can use it to ur advantage.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    one reason i carry a knife and a high power flashlight the clips on my pocket. its a streamlight PT2L, u can get one for about $40 bucks, well worth it and u can use it to ur advantage.
    Sounds like a good plan for the OP...

    Chap. 1 NYC Public Safety 10-133 (Historical Note: Formerly 436-5.1)

    10-133 Possession of knives or instruments.

    B. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry on his or her person or have in such person's possession, in any public place, street or park any knife which has a blade length of four inches or more.

    C. It shall be unlawful for any person in a public place, street or park to wear outside of his or her clothing or carry in open view any knife with an exposed or unexposed blade unless such person is actually using suck knife for a lawful purpose as set forth in subdivision d of this section.

    In summary... four inch blade kept in your pocket is OK.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    1,315
    If they have a gun and you don't, cooperate. If they are unarmed, respond with a pen, pencil, keys, fingernails, absolutely any exposed vulnerable spot, especially eyes, groin, hip flexor, a sideways stomp to the knee, a knee to the nose. In other words, fight like a freakin' girl. Kick, scratch, bite, and strike hard the first time you see something that will bend, break, or otherwise succumb to a fist or foot.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oregon City, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    65
    Sorry to hear about that. I've been learning Krav Maga for the last 2 and a half months and I really like it. It's an Israeli martial art focused exclusively on Self Defense (not Katas or tournaments). A lot of LEO departments and Militaries are studying it too since it's effective and designed to be learned fairly quickly. It's a great tool to have in addition to a knife, firearm, and less lethal option.

    From my perspective - if I can carry a Ruger LCP I will. I also have a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. Great EDC blade. Not the best tactical knife but effective and the 2.9 in blade is pretty much allowed anywhere since it's under 3in and not auto or spring assisted (you're out of luck in England since it does lock). I figure this knife can always be with me wherever I go even if the Ruger is forbidden. I also have a Kimber Guardian Angel pepper spray - pyrotechnic 2 shot spray - great when wind would otherwise blow pepper spray back on you - but it's only two shots and it might not be legal in NY - better check that.

    I also carry a tactical pen as my EDC pen - not the best SD tool but you don't want to be at the receiving end of that "kubaton" style device, but that will help if all "dangerous things" are banned.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oregon City, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by marcparis View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. I've been learning Krav Maga for the last 2 and a half months and I really like it. It's an Israeli martial art focused exclusively on Self Defense (not Katas or tournaments). A lot of LEO departments and Militaries are studying it too since it's effective and designed to be learned fairly quickly. It's a great tool to have in addition to a knife, firearm, and less lethal option.

    From my perspective - if I can carry a Ruger LCP I will. I also have a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. Great EDC blade. Not the best tactical knife but effective and the 2.9 in blade is pretty much allowed anywhere since it's under 3in and not auto or spring assisted (you're out of luck in England since it does lock). I figure this knife can always be with me wherever I go even if the Ruger is forbidden. I also have a Kimber Guardian Angel pepper spray - pyrotechnic 2 shot spray - great when wind would otherwise blow pepper spray back on you - but it's only two shots and it might not be legal in NY - better check that.

    I also carry a tactical pen as my EDC pen - not the best SD tool but you don't want to be at the receiving end of that "kubaton" style device, but that will help if all "dangerous things" are banned.
    Another option to consider is carrying a "tactical" flashlight instead of a regular flashlight. It's not a weapon so you should always be able to carry it with you but it will hurt a lot if you hit someone with the bezel. I use the Fenix TK 15

  7. Get yourself into a good (combat oriented) martial art and learn to defend yourself. Guns are good but they're not for every situation. Canes are excellent but you have to know how to use them. Otherwise they are too easily taken from you. A knife is good if you know how to use it but if carried closed in a pocket takes too long to deploy. Bug spray is just begging for a lawsuit, & may not be as effective as pepper foam, which also sprays in a stream. Good training will teach you the best ways to quickly disable attackers. Even with a knife or gun, you may need to use empty hands to gain a few seconds to access your own weapon or to retain your weapon. Once you have the training you will be in a better position to decide what tools suit your needs.

    By the way, a closed knife makes an excellent impact weapon, and a cupped hand slapped over someones ears is extremely painful and disorienting.

  8. Watch this video. Executive Course - YouTube
    I had the privilege of taking an advanced handgun class taught by James Williams where he also touch on some of what he talked about in the video.
    He's the real deal with real self defense techniques.
    Learning something like this may have made the difference in the outcome.

  9. #18
    Thank you all for you responses!

    Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Drive away and never come back? Seriously, sorry you had that experience and I would also say mace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Never spend another dime in any city that does not allow you to protect yourself.
    Unfortunately I currently work in the city, this will fortunately be changing by the end of the year!

    Quote Originally Posted by blazemyowntrails View Post
    Im a big proponent of empty hand self defense skills
    Quote Originally Posted by marcparis View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. I've been learning Krav Maga for the last 2 and a half months and I really like it.
    I agree, and I had already been looking into taking classes, I've just had a hard time finding a class that works with my hectic work schedule, and it doesn't help that I moved here in Jan and will be moving again before the end of the year. But I most definitively (more so now of course) want to get this type of training.

    Quote Originally Posted by smudley View Post
    I had the privilege of taking an advanced handgun class taught by James Williams ....Learning something like this may have made the difference in the outcome.
    I will definitely check this video out this week.

    Thanks again everyone!

  10. Sue the City Of New York. You'll probably loose but it'll still send a minor message. Or like someone said, leave the city and never come back. Who's to say next time you'll be a white outlining on the sidewalk. I love the food n view of nyc but I love my safety and life more so I never go there unless I'm with 6+ ppl.

  11. #20
    Another vote in favor of a good cane. From NYC to airports, no one questions your right to have it with you. And some make formidable defenive tools.
    Last edited by JohnD13; 08-23-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: can't spell this morning!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast