Dont buy Ammo from Walmart - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dont buy Ammo from Walmart

I show them the BACK of my permit where it states the caliber of weapons I own. They don't get to touch it, and they don't get to copy my info, and I always pay CASH....

Walmart can't sell you ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver unless you are authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. Thus, it makes sense for Walmart to require you to show our pistol permit, and for Walmart to record the information to protect itself from prosecution.

New York State Penal law, Section 270.00(5):

"... it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
    ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
    person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
    of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor."

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Let me explain why. In NYS no store may sell handgun ammunition to any person not allowed to posses such. Walmart is not recording permit information and even if they were there is no one to report it to. No one in this state or in the federal government is currently keeping track of who purchases ammunition from a retailer. Some smaller retailers are unaware of this requirement and sell without checking.

NYS Penal Law

ARTICLE 270--OTHER OFFENSES RELATING TO PUBLIC SAFETY
    Section 270.00 Unlawfully dealing with fireworks and dangerous fireworks

(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any ammunition designed for use in a pistol or revolver to any person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.

Walmart is merely following the NYS penal Law.

Excellent reason to purchase ammo in a more "gun friendly" state if moving isn't an option.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Excellent reason to purchase ammo in a more "gun friendly" state if moving isn't an option.
    Many people in these so-called "gun friendly" states you speak of can't enter a bar or restuarant, ride public transportation or enter a church, bank or hospital by law. many others must renew their license. In NY we enjoy these freedoms that many states don't. If one is required to have a permit to own a handgun then I prefer he show it to purchase ammo. The local night life will have to look elsewhere for retail ammo purchases.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Walmart can't sell you ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver unless you are authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. Thus, it makes sense for Walmart to require you to show our pistol permit, and for Walmart to record the information to protect itself from prosecution.

New York State Penal law, Section 270.00(5):

"... it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
    ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
    person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
    of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor."
    You can buy a 9mm carbine without a permit, but can't buy ammo for it because its considered "handgun ammo". The problem here is that it says "exclusively designed for use in a pistol". I dont know about all handgun ammo, but 9mm and .40 can be used in long guns that don't require a permit.

Walmart has asked me for my permit, but other stores, including Dicks in the same mall, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Many people in these so-called "gun friendly" states you speak of can't enter a bar or restuarant, ride public transportation or enter a church, bank or hospital by law. many others must renew their license. In NY we enjoy these freedoms that many states don't. If one is required to have a permit to own a handgun then I prefer he show it to purchase ammo. The local night life will have to look elsewhere for retail ammo purchases.
    Do you seriously believe that restricting ammo purchases will keep them out of the hands of criminals? They've somehow figured out how to get firearms, which by the way should be a lot more difficult due to applicable FEDERAL LAW.

Criminals find a way to get what they need to continue their criminal activities. Restricting law abiding citizens does more harm than good. As a firearms instructor who works with a team of other instructors, we often share responsibilities in preparing for our classes. Having one person pick up all of the ammo for the class would not be possible if a permit was required to purchase ammo, as no single individual in our group owns a firearm of each caliber.

I sure wish more effort would be made to enforce existing laws to shut down criminals rather than creating more laws to restrict law abiding citizens.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Do you seriously believe that restricting ammo purchases will keep them out of the hands of criminals? They've somehow figured out how to get firearms, which by the way should be a lot more difficult due to applicable FEDERAL LAW.

Criminals find a way to get what they need to continue their criminal activities. Restricting law abiding citizens does more harm than good. As a firearms instructor who works with a team of other instructors, we often share responsibilities in preparing for our classes. Having one person pick up all of the ammo for the class would not be possible if a permit was required to purchase ammo, as no single individual in our group owns a firearm of each caliber.

I sure wish more effort would be made to enforce existing laws to shut down criminals rather than creating more laws to restrict law abiding citizens.
    The same logic could be used with regard to every item whose possession without authorization is prohibited, like prescription drugs.

Laws serve many purposes, and although a law prohibiting a person from possessing certain items without authorization might not prevent every criminal from obtaining the item, it does make it more difficult, thereby eliminating possession by some criminals and more importantly gives us the ability to prosecute those who are caught with the illegal possession.

Moreover, if you don't have a permit that allows you to possess a handgun, then there is no need for you to be buying handgun ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The same logic could be used with regard to every item whose possession without authorization is prohibited, like prescription drugs.

Laws serve many purposes, and although a law prohibiting a person from possessing certain items without authorization might not prevent every criminal from obtaining the item, it does make it more difficult, thereby eliminating possession by some criminals and more importantly gives us the ability to prosecute those who are caught with the illegal possession.

Moreover, if you don't have a permit that allows you to possess a handgun, then there is no need for you to be buying handgun ammunition.
    Prescription drugs is a different issue. For one, the US Constitution does not guarantee the right to bear prescriptions. Also, there are many factors involved in the prescription and dispensing of drugs. Proper dosage, adverse reactions, drug interactions, etc. As a matter of public safety, certain drugs should be dispensed through a licensed pharmacy.

There are rifles that take handgun cartridges, as well as sporting equipment that uses handgun cartridges (bang sticks). Individuals who are looking to purchase a handgun may want to purchase various calibers of ammunition so they can try a friend's firearm prior to purchase.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that restricting the sale of handgun ammunition will reduce crime. Funny how NYC has a high rate of violent crime and many times firearms are involved. With the restrictions on handgun possession and ammo purchase, one would think that the numbers would be a lot less.

Restriction on handgun ammo harms law abiding citizens more than it helps.

Prescription drugs is a different issue. For one, the US Constitution does not guarantee the right to bear prescriptions. Also, there are many factors involved in the prescription and dispensing of drugs. Proper dosage, adverse reactions, drug interactions, etc. As a matter of public safety, certain drugs should be dispensed through a licensed pharmacy.
    What's the difference? Ammo can only be sold by a licensed dealer. We are talking about the purchaser, not the seller. In both cases the purchaser has to be authorized to purchase the item. It has nothing to do with the seller.

The 2nd amendment doesn't provide an unrestricted right to own a firearm. In fact, the courts have upheld permit schemes. Thus, the second doesn't prohibit limiting ammunition purchase to licensed gun owners.

Individuals who are looking to purchase a handgun may want to purchase various calibers of ammunition so they can try a friend's firearm prior to purchase.
    Yeah, and it would be nice if my 16-year old kid could pick me up a bottle of bourbon while on the way back from the mall so I didn't have to be inconvenienced buying it myself.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that restricting the sale of handgun ammunition will not reduce crime.

Violent crime rates in Alaska, South Carolina, and Florida are more than twice that in New York State. The violent crime rate in Texas is 50% more.

Some infor on this:

- Neither NYS or Walmart require you own the caliber gun you're buying for. Their policy does no require the clerk check the license to see if you own that caliber. So one instructor can pickup all the ammo. We do it all the time. If he's denied that's a Walmart thing, not a law.
    - This is not a restrition on law-abiding citizens. All law-abiding citizens who want a gun are required to get a permit in NY. No one will deny or restrict your right to buy the ammo.
    - Ammo is regularly sold to anyone at gun shows throughout the state without a license check.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast