how many pistols can you have on your permit - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how many pistols can you have on your permit

Quote Originally Posted by FJ40 View Post
    I thought that Gov't buildings (state, county, local) were all no carry zones. Along with mental health facilities. I could be wrong but I thought I remember that from my unrestricted carry class.
    No. There is nothing in the NYS Penal Law (Articles 265 or 400) that prohibits carry anywhere other than a school. Any organization other than a municipality (withstanding court-rooms and jails) may post a no-weapons sign but it is not a misdemeanor or felony to carry into that facility. The sign has weight of law in NY but if caught carrying you are only asked to remove the firearm. Failure to comply could result in a trespass charge but does not constitute a gun crime. The advice is anytime you're asked to take your firearm out of the building to peacefully comply to avoid trespass charges. Remember, any property owner can request you don't carry. It is not a violation of the second amendment to do this as the second is a guarantee against the government disarming you. Private property owners are not bound by the second amendment. The same holds tru for many constitutional amendments constituting the bill of rights... incluing free speech. One has no right to free speech on private property (1st amendment) as they can be asked to leave without consequence.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    No. There is nothing in the NYS Penal Law (Articles 265 or 400) that prohibits carry anywhere other than a school. Any organization other than a municipality (withstanding court-rooms and jails) may post a no-weapons sign but it is not a misdemeanor or felony to carry into that facility. The sign has weight of law in NY but if caught carrying you are only asked to remove the firearm. Failure to comply could result in a trespass charge but does not constitute a gun crime. The advice is anytime you're asked to take your firearm out of the building to peacefully comply to avoid trespass charges. Remember, any property owner can request you don't carry. It is not a violation of the second amendment to do this as the second is a guarantee against the government disarming you. Private property owners are not bound by the second amendment. The same holds tru for many constitutional amendments constituting the bill of rights... incluing free speech. One has no right to free speech on private property (1st amendment) as they can be asked to leave without consequence.

Thank you for the clarification on this. I have been very careful where I carry due to this.

NY is a very friendly gun state - once you qualify for a conceal carry permit. No long list of prohibited places, no paranoia over letting people carry in bars, or churches, or hospitals, or airports.

Unfortunately, a significant proportion of the population still thinks that eliminating the ability of law abiding citizens to carry will somehow eliminate criminals from using guns. It's as if they never heard of the failed prohibition experiment, or don't know that vice laws have not eliminated prostitution and gambling.

The problem is that guns have become a political issue instead of a social issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FJ40 View Post
    I thought that Gov't buildings (state, county, local) were all no carry zones. Along with mental health facilities. I could be wrong but I thought I remember that from my unrestricted carry class.
    The NYS penal law includes the term "notwithstanding state and local law." Notwithstanding mean "in spite of." A county or municipality can have ano guns policy under home rule but a violation of it doesn't constitute a gun crime in NY as long as the person is licensed. At best it's a code violation which is essentially nothing. It's used more as a deterrent to those who don't know the law. The laws are very convoluted so the average Joe would rather follow the sign. As far as a mental health facility there is no provision in Article 265 (Firearms and dangerous weapons) prohibiting the carry thereof. Firearms (other than carried by peace officers and federal officers) are NOT permitted in courthouses under the rules of the NYS Office of Court Administration, which have the force and effect of law.

Here's a place you can get a quick check of prohibited use or locations - Article 265 - Penal Law - Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Don't forget, though, that the federal government prohibits carry in some places, i.e., post offices, et al. Federal laws supersede state and local laws.
    TANSTAAFL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123