CCW Leaving Firearm in Car
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Leaving Firearm in Car

CCW Leaving Firearm in Car

Hello all,
    I am confused over how to leave my gun in the car when entering a prohibited carry area. I have purchased a lockable safe with a steel cable. I just lock it in when needed. Is this considered adequate? Do I have to unload a revolver or magazine each time I run into a bank? Thanks for any feedback.

Here the CU I bank at has not restrictions on guns, so I just carry it.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

It wouldn't matter whether or not it's loaded while in your vehicle. Plus, the less handling you have to do, the better, so leave it loaded while you're inside.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by joeykatp View Post
    Hello all,
    I am confused over how to leave my gun in the car when entering a prohibited carry area. I have purchased a lockable safe with a steel cable. I just lock it in when needed. Is this considered adequate? Do I have to unload a revolver or magazine each time I run into a bank? Thanks for any feedback.
    Banks, like Movie Threatres, Malls, Supermarkets, etc. are privately owned, not a federal facility, you may (and probably SHOULD) carry into a bank.
    I highly advise NOT leaving it in your car.

A. it does you NO GOOD there if the SHTF and you need it.
    B. If you car gets stolen so does your gun....
    C. if you car gets broken into,....bye bye gun.

Think about where you are going when you leave the house. If you CAN carry where you are going, then bring it, if not,... leave it home maybe?

Hope that helps.

6. If you are going to a court house or school, you know before you leave home, so leave the gun home. If it is a private business that prohibits, then find another business to partonize. It's about time gun owners realize, we can't have our guns and democrat or rhino republican senators at the same time. We can't have our guns and continue to support those businesses that support anti gun lobbys. I don't care if the franchise is locally owned. If the franchise is supporting gun control, so is the customer at the local level. We are only going to keep our guns if we unite at the ballot box and the pocket book. Hit them where it hurts. Tough if you own a pizza hut but that's the way it has to be. This goes all the way down to the schools and the school board. Teachers can't be pulling this anti-gun crap unless the school board is supporting them and school boards are local people that YOU vote in. Quit trying to play it both ways and pick a side. (sorry for hijacking your question joeykatp, I'm just venting)

Thanks for feedback. I generally carry when i leave the home, and will run into areas that are off limits, like my town hall, which also serves as a courthouse, so I lock the gun loaded in the car. But living in New York, i was just unsure of the legal ramifications.

Quote Originally Posted by XD357grandpa View Post
    If you are going to a court house or school, you know before you leave home, so leave the gun home. If it is a private business that prohibits, then find another business to partonize. It's about time gun owners realize, we can't have our guns and democrat or rhino republican senators at the same time. We can't have our guns and continue to support those businesses that support anti gun lobbys. I don't care if the franchise is locally owned. If the franchise is supporting gun control, so is the customer at the local level. We are only going to keep our guns if we unite at the ballot box and the pocket book. Hit them where it hurts. Tough if you own a pizza hut but that's the way it has to be. This goes all the way down to the schools and the school board. Teachers can't be pulling this anti-gun crap unless the school board is supporting them and school boards are local people that YOU vote in. Quit trying to play it both ways and pick a side. (sorry for hijacking your question joeykatp, I'm just venting)
    Firstly, sorry you have to deal with NY firearm laws. Secondly, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment above.

As for the thread question, it depends on the State (assuming you are in NY since it's under that thread). North Carolina is an open carry state... it is sufficient to store the gun in a closed container in a locked car or in a locked container attached to the vehicle (like a truck's locked tool box that is bolted to the bed)... the law allows for you to enter and exit the car, as long as you immediately lock the doors behind you...it's a pretty broad definition. I have a CC permit, but we went to a restaurant (ale house) that serves alcohol, so per NC law, I was not allowed to carry into the business. So I stored it in the glove box of the locked car. I made sure I could see the car from the window of the restaurant since I wasn't 100% comfortable with doing that. (I probably could have just kept it concealed, but it would be my luck, right?) Follow your State's General Statutes...you should be able to Google them, since I would hope most States have their laws online now. I did a search on transportation of firearms within NY state laws....Good Luck!

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&[email protected]+&LIST=SEA8+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=58732750+&T ARGET=VIEW

If I absolutely have to leave my firearm in the truck then I just lock it up in the portable safe, and when when I get back I put it back on. Easy Peezy

Worst case if I have to leave it in a vehicle, especially where car break ins are common, such as a parking garage, I field strip the gun and put the barrel in my pocket. With an SA XD, takes only seconds to do, or to re-assemble.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

11. Just remember, you cannot have a firearm in the vehicle when driving onto US Postal Service property. Even if you are just using the drive through mail drop. We have had a few people here in Vegas get arrested with a firearm in the glove box or trunk. Just remember to park outside the property and walk to it if you have one in the vehicle or else go next time and leave your firearm at home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast