Need some information on New York States Regulations on receiving an AR15 as a Gift. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some information on New York States Regulations on receiving an AR15 as a Gift.

1. This might help:
    http://www.co.ulster.ny.us/downloads/SAFE-Act.pdf

However, the statement below from the pdf file only applies if the immediate family members are both residents of New York State (to comply with Federal law):
    "Transfers of guns between immediate family
    members (spouses, domestic partners,
    children, step children) are exempted from
    this requirement."
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

It gets worse than that. Best to keep in FL for this year in hopes that the courts will throw out the unConstitional SAFE Act.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

4. Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    It gets worse than that. Best to keep in FL for this year in hopes that the courts will throw out the unConstitional SAFE Act.
    Personally.... I wouldn't bother with the AR-15 either. But hey, maybe sometime in the future a New York bastardized AR-15 will be a highly sought after rare collectors item? Maybe the gun grabbers will want them in the future to put over their fireplaces to remind them of the "good old days" when they almost succeeded in disarming the serfs. Gun control is 99% about the control and only 1% about the guns.
    Last edited by NavyLCDR; 08-03-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Changed "liberals" to "gun grabbers". Not all liberals are gun grabbers.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. When it comes down to it, I would rather have my AR15 than nothing at all. Laws change, people change, & regulations change. The AR15 will remain the same.

It will defend my home & my family just the same with, or without what New York tries to do.
    To me, it's actually not the Weapon itself. It's the person behind the weapon. You could have a bow, and arrow and properly defend your home.

Plus, it's a Christmas Present from my Son........

Sent from my AT300SE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Actually the NY AR rules are not changed much except for the magazine stupidity. You can have a pistol grip, no flash hider, no bayonet lug, and no collapsible stock. The big differences are you will be required to register the AR and you can not have more than 7 rounds in the mag. The mag must also be no larger than 10 rounds. Previously pre ban 30 rounders were allowed. Should you have any 30 rounders they should be destroyed, sent to a free state, or something else.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by usmeu25 View Post
    Thank you NavyLCDR, I really wasnt an 100% on the transfer laws,but had a rough idea.

Does the transfer have to be done prior to my son leaving Pensacola? Or can he being it home with him, and from there we go to FFL Dealer

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I would ensure the gun is NY compliant before he enters the state with it. He may be committing a crime. The gun may also have to be registered. You can find information on which rifles are legal at two sources: NYS Penal Law S265.00 (paragraph 22) Defines Acceptable Features and Cuomo's office has a website to check the gun first.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12