Need some information on New York States Regulations on receiving an AR15 as a Gift.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some information on New York States Regulations on receiving an AR15 as a Gift.

1. Need some information on New York States Regulations on receiving an AR15 as a Gift.

My son who is Active Duty in the US Navy was off duty, and driving around Pensacola Fl. Area when he, and his girlfriend found a pawn shop. After entering the shop he noticed the owner had a AR15 for sale.

After agreeing on the price, he purchased the AR .He wants to give it to me as a Christmas Gift. He is coming home in November on leave, and is bringing the AR with him. What are the proper procedures for him to give this AR to me as a gift?

Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my AT300SE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. Since you live in New York, he can not legally transfer the AR-15 to you.

Don't you fell SAFE now?

Quote Originally Posted by thoricuncle View Post
    Since you live in New York, he can not legally transfer the AR-15 to you.

Don't you fell SAFE now?
    Absolutely false information. He takes the AR-15 to an FFL in New York and the FFL in New York transfers the AR-15 to the recipient. That being said, I don't know if there are any stupid assault firearms laws in New York, but that is the legal way to do it - it gets transferred through an FFL.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. Thank you NavyLCDR, I really wasnt an 100% on the transfer laws,but had a rough idea.

Does the transfer have to be done prior to my son leaving Pensacola? Or can he being it home with him, and from there we go to FFL Dealer

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by usmeu25 View Post
    Thank you NavyLCDR, I really wasnt an 100% on the transfer laws,but had a rough idea. Does the transfer have to be done prior to my son leaving Pensacola? Or can he being it home with him, and from there we go to FFL Dealer Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    It can't be transferred to you unless you are in person at the FFL to fill out the paperwork and have the background check done. Make sure and find an FFL and make the arrangements beforehand. Also, at first glance of the new laws, the AR-15 and magazines will have to be made New York compliant before it enters the state, so he will also have to modify it, otherwise it will be illegal for him to bring it into new york:

Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. Where can I view the AR15 Laws, I want to make sure both the AR,and my Son are legal before he transports the weapon home. Thank you again for your help.

Where can I view the AR15 Laws, I want to make sure both the AR,and my Son are legal before he transports the weapon home. Thank you again for your help.

Your best bet would be to talk to 2 or 3 FFLs to determine what a legal AR-15 is. I say 2 or 3 because you are likely to get different answers, but if you get answers common amongst them, it might be close to correct. Also try the New York State Police. Also the New York State Attorney General's office - but many times the Attorney General won't work with ordinary citizens.

9. Once agian thank you, for your time, and information. I will call a few FFL dealers.

To determine what the Legal Procedures are for Transferring & Ownership of an AR15 in New York State.

Once agian thank you, for your time, and information. I will call a few FFL dealers.

To determine what the Legal Procedures are for Transferring & Ownership of an AR15 in New York State.

Just at first look, it appears as if it will require a new permanent non-collapsible stock that does not have a pistol grip, the flash hider/muzzle break on the end of the barrel will have to be removed (and depending on the length of the barrel left, a barrel extension may have to be added), if there is a bayonet lug on the barrel, that will have to be removed as well. The only "assault weapon" feature listed in New York law that can be left on the gun is "semi-automatic". And then I have no idea if magazine capacity over 7 rounds is allowed now and just illegal to load more than 7 rounds - or if the magazines have to be permanently altered to only accept 7 rounds. It will definitely make a unique gift if your son can modify a standard AR-15 to meet New York requirements. Makes you feel all warm and safe there, doesn't it? I would suggest taking multiple photos of the new gun once it is chopped up to meet New York requirements and get it OK'd with the receiving FFL before the gun is brought into New York.

AR-15 assault rifle returning to stores | WIVB.com

NY Safe Act Compliant AR-15 - The Firing Line Forums

11. Unbelievable, no matter how many laws they create, the weapon itself, in the end will do the same thing.
    That will never change. All New York State wants to do is make it hard for the Legal citizens to own Firearms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast