Driving through NY with a handgun. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving through NY with a handgun.

Even locked and empty, your gun is still illegal to have in NYS.
    You don't have a permit to own a gun in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Hordyk View Post
    Alright you chilled Northerners, I am going up to upstate NY for a funeral. I carry through all states that recognize my 2nd amendment rights, and carry permit. other than separating ammunition from firearm and locking up the firearm, is there anything else that I should be aware of? I am taking a Glock 23 it has a 13+1 rd magazine, which will be empty upon reaching the ny state line. Is having the gun locked in the glove box and the ammunition in my center compartment enough, or should I throw a safe (sarcasm) Handgun case in the trunk?
    no can do, legally you can drive THROUGH new york, however your journey ends in NY so you obviously are not driving THROUGH ny
    WARNING:
    This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

4. Well being a once resident of New Russia i can tell you once you cross the state border in to Ny you have 4 option. 1. Hide your Glock in PA. 2. Have current ID stating you are current or retired Law Enforcement under LEOSA. 3. Try fate and keep it in vehicle with 50/50 chance of getting caught. 4. If stopped and glock is found become a future inmate at any NYS correctional Facility.

And yes a 13 round mag in NY is like owning a rocket launcher. Both will get you deep in the poo pool. Just another reason i left New Russia for North Dakota where it is gun friendly.

5. Going to NY??? I hope you don't get caught and if you do I pray you have a good lawyer! Good Luck!
    NEVER holster the SAFETY Between your EARS!!!

6. Sadly I am a New York State resident - thank God I do not live in the city!!!! If you are going through NYC you face a mandatory one year sentence. The city of New York does not recognize NYS permits of any kind. They do not recognize any other state permits. They only recognize NYC permits which are next to impossible to get. There is also no drive through courtesy in the city. I am ashamed to say I live in this state and my wife and I are beginning to plan to move.

There is only one way to bring a handgun into NYS without a New York permit. You can do this if you are registered to attend/compete in a NRA sanctioned event. In which case you can be there two days and two days after the event. That does not mean carrying. It means locked up except at the event itself. Navy was very clear on his correct advice. What I have posted here really has nothing to do with the actual question but I thought I would throw it in. Sorry but there you go. Any NRA event around the time of your visit? Plenty of less SAFE states to attend an event. I'd avoid NY NJ MD.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Travel in a toilet, expect to be **** on.

9. So this post is a couple years old and I was wondering if anything has changed. I am driving to the Rochester Area from Louisiana and would very much like to have my gun with me on the trip. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by OffshoreJim View Post
    So this post is a couple years old and I was wondering if anything has changed. I am driving to the Rochester Area from Louisiana and would very much like to have my gun with me on the trip. Any help would be appreciated.
    Nothing has changed. Obey the law and leave the gun at home, or break the law and take it with you. What is more important to you? Getting caught with it or getting caught without it? That's pretty much a decision you have to make for yourself.

11. Quote Originally Posted by OffshoreJim View Post
    So this post is a couple years old and I was wondering if anything has changed. I am driving to the Rochester Area from Louisiana and would very much like to have my gun with me on the trip. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim,
    If you are coming from Louisiana, I'd bypass NJ and NYC completely and go up to Western NY through PA. I'd then defer to NY State laws which aren't good but NJ and NYC are are Draconian.

The Place To Be

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast