NYS Seven Round Ammo Limit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYS Seven Round Ammo Limit

1. NYS Seven Round Ammo Limit

I was at the Dutchess County Sheriff's office last week dropping of a pistol permit application for my wife and asked about the ridiculous Safe Act law of only allowing seven rounds of ammo in a magazine. The woman that worked there told me she just heard that ten rounds is going to be allowed again. I don't believe that she would give me inaccurate information, but I can not find any information anywhere on this change. Does anyone have any conclusive information? Thanks.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by RET.FD.CAPT. View Post
    I was at the Dutchess County Sheriff's office last week dropping of a pistol permit application for my wife and asked about the ridiculous Safe Act law of only allowing seven rounds of ammo in a magazine. The woman that worked there told me she just heard that ten rounds is going to be allowed again. I don't believe that she would give me inaccurate information, but I can not find any information anywhere on this change. Does anyone have any conclusive information? Thanks.
    It doesn't give the relevant case citations, but the following story does quote the opinion of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that overturned the 7-round limit:

...“But, the seven-round limit fails the relevant test because the purported link between the ban and the state’s interest is tenuous, strained, and unsupported in the record,” he continued in the 54-page ruling.

That article is dated as, "Published 2:28 p.m. ET Dec. 31, 2013," and updated only once later that same day, so the 10-round limit has been in effect for at least that long.

Other reports that I found described the 7-round limit as having been "laughed out of the courtroom." Hard to believe that the Second Circuit actually stumbled upon a Second Amendment infringement in NY (or any of its other state-responsibilities for that matter) that it found "laughable" to the degree of unconstitutionality, while at the same time upholding a ban on the most popular single rifle (the AR-15) in American history. Apparently the woman who told you that she "just heard" that 10-rounders will be allowed "again" is somewhere in the neighborhood of four years behind the curve. If her Sheriff was keeping that myth alive, you and your county-wide constituent base should keep that in mind when his/her next election rolls around.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

7-round limit? And here I am thinking California's ten-round limit was bad enough...lol.

5. Thanks for the info, I just found this on the NYS Safe Act website:

The Act included a high-capacity magazine provision, provided that beginning on April 15, 2013, only magazines with a capacity of seven rounds could legally be sold in New York.[11] The Act allowed ten-round magazines purchased before that date, but made it illegal to load more than seven rounds of ammunition into a ten-round magazine, except "at an incorporated firing range or competition recognized by the National Rifle Association or International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association."[11] Historic or antique guns (defined as those manufactured more than fifty years ago) were exempt from this requirement.[11] The magazine provisions were struck down by Judge Skretny in 2013,[13] and this ruling was upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in 2015, making it so "gun owners can legally load 10 rounds in a 10-round magazine."[10] Neither the Act nor the subsequent court cases affected New York's pre-existing ten-round magazine limit.[11] The Act does not place a limit on the number of magazines that individuals could purchase at any one time.[11]

6. Dutchess County is actually pretty good for being in NYS, they only issue full carry.

7. It actually started out worse than that. The NYS Safe Act originally banned 10 round magazines, when the all knowing Gov. Cuomo found out that 7 round magazines were not available he had to settle for max of 7 rounds in a 10 round magazine. Luckily I am finding that it has been struck down and we are back to 10 in 10.

It actually started out worse than that. The NYS Safe Act originally banned 10 round magazines, when the all knowing Gov. Cuomo found out that 7 round magazines were not available he had to settle for max of 7 rounds in a 10 round magazine. Luckily I am finding that it has been struck down and we are back to 10 in 10.
    Luckily?

How about 10 + 1, or is it 9 + 1?

Fortunately I don't have to count my boolets, and carry 17 + 1.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

It actually started out worse than that. The NYS Safe Act originally banned 10 round magazines, when the all knowing Gov. Cuomo found out that 7 round magazines were not available he had to settle for max of 7 rounds in a 10 round magazine. Luckily I am finding that it has been struck down and we are back to 10 in 10.
    Not trying to show support for this silly regulation but there are pistols that only have 7-round magazines. My Ruger LC9S is one of them.

10. Correct, but if NYS kept the original law of only using a seven round magazine, then many semi autos already owned would be rendered useless due to the unavailability of the magazines.

11. Since the law specifies magazine capacity I would believe it is 10 + 1. As far as "luckily", it's true here, Like California, NY is overwhelmed with a large population of liberals concentrated in a small area (NYC) of the state, most elections go their way. Even when Republicans win they are RINOS, Bloomberg for one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast