NYS NR Permit - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NYS NR Permit

There have been cases where business owners were allowed to obtain non-resident permits. I am somewhat hesitant to believe that this was allowed in Ulster County. There has been a recent crackdown on the permit system in Ulster County. There was even talk of only issuing premise permits with range and hunting privileges, not restricted concealed carry permits. It this is true, it is great news. It needs to be verified though.

3. NY Penal Law Article 400 Section 1:

1. Eligibility. No license shall be issued or renewed pursuant to this
    section except by the licensing officer, and then only after
    investigation and finding that all statements in a proper application
    for a license are true. No license shall be issued or renewed except for
    an applicant (a) twenty-one years of age or older, provided, however,
    that where such applicant has been honorably discharged from the United
    States army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard, or the
    national guard of the state of New York, no such age restriction shall
    apply; (b) of good moral character; (c) who has not been convicted
    anywhere of a felony or a serious offense; (d) who has stated whether he
    or she has ever suffered any mental illness or been confined to any
    hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness; (e) who
    has not had a license revoked or who is not under a suspension or
    ineligibility order issued pursuant to the provisions of section 530.14
    of the criminal procedure law or section eight hundred forty-two-a of
    the family court act; (f) in the county of Westchester, who has
    successfully completed a firearms safety course and test as evidenced by
    a certificate of completion issued in his or her name and endorsed and
    affirmed under the penalties of perjury by a duly authorized instructor,
    except that: (i) persons who are honorably discharged from the United
    States army, navy, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard
    of the state of New York, and produce evidence of official qualification
    in firearms during the term of service are not required to have
    completed those hours of a firearms safety course pertaining to the safe
    use, carrying, possession, maintenance and storage of a firearm; and
    (ii) persons who were licensed to possess a pistol or revolver prior to
    the effective date of this paragraph are not required to have completed
    a firearms safety course and test; and (g) concerning whom no good cause
    exists for the denial of the license. No person shall engage in the
    business of gunsmith or dealer in firearms unless licensed pursuant to
    this section. An applicant to engage in such business shall also be a
    citizen of the United States, more than twenty-one years of age and
    maintain a place of business in the city or county where the license is
    issued. For such business, if the applicant is a firm or partnership,
    each member thereof shall comply with all of the requirements set forth
    in this subdivision and if the applicant is a corporation, each officer
    thereof shall so comply.

No where in this Section is "NY State residency" an eligibility requirement.

NY Penal Law Article 400 Section 7:

7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall,
    except in the city of New York, be approved as to form by the
    superintendent of state police. A license to carry or possess a pistol
    or revolver shall have attached the licensee`s photograph, and a coupon
    which shall be removed and retained by any person disposing of a firearm
    to the licensee. Such license shall specify the weapon covered by
    calibre, make, model, manufacturer`s name and serial number, or if none,
    by any other distinguishing number or identification mark, and shall
    indicate whether issued to carry on the person or possess on the
    premises, and if on the premises shall also specify the place where the
    licensee shall possess the same. If such license is issued to an alien,
    or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the
    licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for
    the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good
    character of the applicant.
    Any license as gunsmith or dealer in
    firearms shall mention and describe the premises for which it is issued
    and shall be valid only for such premises.

Looks to me like it's up to the licensing officer in the county, and has to state right on the license why a non-resident has rec'd it and the names of their references. Probably not all that common, but, by law, can happen. At least, that's the way it reads to me.

7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall,
    except in the city of New York, be approved as to form by the
    superintendent of state police. A license to carry or possess a pistol
    or revolver shall have attached the licensee`s photograph, and a coupon
    which shall be removed and retained by any person disposing of a firearm
    to the licensee. Such license shall specify the weapon covered by
    calibre, make, model, manufacturer`s name and serial number, or if none,
    by any other distinguishing number or identification mark, and shall
    indicate whether issued to carry on the person or possess on the
    premises, and if on the premises shall also specify the place where the
    licensee shall possess the same. If such license is issued to an alien,
    or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the
    licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for
    the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good
    character of the applicant. Any license as gunsmith or dealer in
    firearms shall mention and describe the premises for which it is issued
    and shall be valid only for such premises.
    How big is this license that is has a place for all of those possible options?

I read thru that too....and thought maybe a non-resident might have better luck going thru somewhere like Jefferson County...trying to get as far from NYC as possible?

5. If you have a lifetime permit from that county I guess it can be done.Some states honor the NY permit so no need to even bother.However some counties in NY are very restrictive and want you to surrender the permit along with the handguns if you were moving out of state.There has been non resident permits issued before but there are very difficult to obtain.A person I knew who attended Front Sight said he now has the ability to carry in almost evey state except Wisconsin, Illonois & DC.He said when he attended the class they give you all the information for every state.Florida & Utah non resident permits are good in over 30 states.NY,NJ,MA,ME,RI,CT,MD,CA,OR are the only states not included.

6. Quote Originally Posted by JohnNY View Post
    Update------my co-worker who lived in Ulster county with a NYS permit now is a resident of SC. He turned in paperwork to Ulster county upon moving and now has a NYS non-resident permit with his new SC address, belive it or not!
    This is not that remarkable. You can obtain a pistol license in the county where you live OR WORK. He got a pistol license based on his place of work. That pistol license lists his home address. His home address changed. Big deal.

But I'm a little surprised no one thought to ask whether he's still working in Ulster...

Quote Originally Posted by davej View Post
    This is not that remarkable. You can obtain a pistol license in the county where you live OR WORK. He got a pistol license based on his place of work. That pistol license lists his home address. His home address changed. Big deal.

But I'm a little surprised no one thought to ask whether he's still working in Ulster...
    I don't believe it for a minute, I still have my life time full carry and when I left that was the end of my permit. no I did not turn in my weapons to them either, still have my permit as a keep sake. got my sc and fla. and don't need ny anymore and will never go back there. too much bs.
    people get so use to being bullied arround and don't know any other way, GET OUT OF NY.
    THERE IS LIFE AFTER NY

Quote Originally Posted by one each View Post
    I don't believe it for a minute, I still have my life time full carry and when I left that was the end of my permit. no I did not turn in my weapons to them either, still have my permit as a keep sake. got my sc and fla. and don't need ny anymore and will never go back there. too much bs.
    people get so use to being bullied arround and don't know any other way, GET OUT OF NY.
    THERE IS LIFE AFTER NY

and that permit is still valid...it does not void itself just because you move out of NY. Its good until revoked and moving out of state is not ground for revocation.

you can live in nys your whole life, carry, be a honest citizen, never be arrested and then move out ??? stop paying taxes etc..
    now we move to adiff. state, optain our permits there, try and come back into nys with your ccw and now your the criminal, doesn't make any sense to me and others that left for a better way way to live..

I can't find any law that say's even tho we left that our permits are no good there. as for the clerk giving him a non res. , she broke the law cause it will never stand up when he gets stopped with a sc D.L...

your the criminal when you return ????? altho you left an HONEST citizen. just my 2-cents

Quote Originally Posted by one each View Post
    you can live in nys your whole life, carry, be a honest citizen, never be arrested and then move out ??? stop paying taxes etc..
    now we move to adiff. state, optain our permits there, try and come back into nys with your ccw and now your the criminal, doesn't make any sense to me and others that left for a better way way to live..

I can't find any law that say's even tho we left that our permits are no good there. as for the clerk giving him a non res. , she broke the law cause it will never stand up when he gets stopped with a sc D.L...

your the criminal when you return ????? altho you left an HONEST citizen. just my 2-cents

So then who said it isnt any good?

11. The basic problem is that some counties have "read in" a requirement that licenses be canceled when a licensee moves out of state. There is no such affirmative requirement in the Penal Law. Subpart (4) of s. 400.00 (not quoted above) requires a person to apply where they live or work. If you do not live or work in NY you cannot apply, period. Subpart (7) says that when a license is issued to a non-resident (e.g. someone who lives outside NY but works in NY) the licensing authority has to state the reasons why. So while it is clear that you must live or work in NY to APPLY for a license, there is nothing that states that you must continue to hold the residence or place of employment or else your license becomes invalid. Bear in mind, it is a somewhat common practice for people to move to different counties (within NY) and notify their old county of their new address, but NOT transfer their licenses because the new county has bad issuance policies. So why can't you move to PA (for example) and just notify them of your new address?

Realistically - what could be done to help persuade more counties that there is no reason to cancel an otherwise valid pistol license when the licensee moves out of state?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast