NYS NR Permit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NYS NR Permit

NYS NR Permit

Hi I thought I new most of the New York State laws but I guess not. A guy I work with who has a NYS permit-Ulster county. is moving to South Carolina. He called up the county clerk to ask how to turn in his permit when he moves. She said why would you do that. Here is the kicker. She said that once you establish a South Carolina residency , call the county clerk and fill out a form and you will be issed a NYS permit withe new SC resindency. But it must be done within 60 days.

please. do tell.

I am leaving this hell hole of a state, but because my family is here, I would love to be able to retain my "right" to self defense in NY legally even after I move.

Contact your county clerk. Its ultimately up to the Judge to sign off on it.

Blog Entries
    There is no provision in NY State law at this time for someone that has residency outside of NY State to have a NY Permit. I wish there would be, but that is not the case. Whomever you talked to is either unaware of this fact (which would get the guy in trouble) or ignorant of the laws.

If you live outside the state 51% of the time, then that state is your residence and you are no longer a NY resident. Don't risk it
    Dave
    Founder,
    Rochester Personal Defense
    www.safeinrochester.com

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    There is no provision in NY State law at this time for someone that has residency outside of NY State to have a NY Permit. I wish there would be, but that is not the case. Whomever you talked to is either unaware of this fact (which would get the guy in trouble) or ignorant of the laws.

If you live outside the state 51% of the time, then that state is your residence and you are no longer a NY resident. Don't risk it
    So as a recently relocated resident of NY, it's best to just not say anything? I still have a DBA filed in Dutchess County, so I was thinking I should just use that address. I'm planning on getting my TX carry permit anyway, since it would allow me to carry in more states anyway... I'm just glad the NY permit is honored in TX to allow me time to make the transfer.

Now that there's talk of enacting registration periods for NY CC permits, it might be academic anyway. I just don't see why I should give up the permit if it never expires, especially since I don't remember reading anything about having to surrender it if I moved out of state. I still have ties to NY, and would be annoyed if I had to lose the permit.

You have to notify the county within i thought 45 days of any change of address. I thought it said that right on my permit, but i guess not. They won't issue a permit to a non-resident, but if the county is willing to change the address on your permit to an out of state address, i say take it!

I remember reading somewhere that there is no set rules on surrendering a permit if you leave the state, other than notifying them of your change of address. I can see how each county would treat it differently, and would guess that most would revoke the permit if you move out of the state.

This is what it says on the Dutchess county Sheriff's webiste:

1. If you change your address within Dutchess County, you must come to the Pistol License Office in person to amend your license within 10 days.
    2. If you move to a different county within New York State, the Dutchess County Clerk must be instructed by you to transfer your records to your new county. A written request must be provided disclosing your old address, pistol license number, new address and new telephone number. The request must be mailed or brought to: Dutchess County Clerk, 22 Market Street 2nd floor, Poughkeepsie, New York 12601. Each county will charge a fee, currently the fee charged is $5.00$10.00 total.
    3. If you move out of New York State, your handguns should be shipped from a FFL Dealer in New York State to a FFL Dealer in your new State.* A receipt should be brought to the Pistol Permit Office to remove the guns from your New York State Permit. You should check the licensing requirements in your new state

Update------my co-worker who lived in Ulster county with a NYS permit now is a resident of SC. He turned in paperwork to Ulster county upon moving and now has a NYS non-resident permit with his new SC address, belive it or not!

NYS-Non Residence Permit

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNY View Post
    Update------my co-worker who lived in Ulster county with a NYS permit now is a resident of SC. He turned in paperwork to Ulster county upon moving and now has a NYS non-resident permit with his new SC address, belive it or not!
    New York State does not have a NON Residence Permit. once your primary place of residence changes to another state. the NYS Permit is no longer valid. NYS on issues permit's to applicants that resides in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by rheaj View Post
    This is what it says on the Dutchess county Sheriff's webiste:

[*] If you move out of New York State, your handguns should be shipped from a FFL Dealer in New York State to a FFL Dealer in your new State.* A receipt should be brought to the Pistol Permit Office to remove the guns from your New York State Permit. You should check the licensing requirements in your new state [/LIST]

Why would one do that? You're not selling the guns...? Just transport them yourself....

Similar discussion here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast