Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 13
Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The permit came today. The end of an 18 month odyssey, starting with my decision to get a permit, then waiting for the course to be held, then 16 months from the time I submitted my application to the day the permit arrived.

If the Supreme Court rules that the second amendment applies to the state, I wouldn't be surprised to hear some politicians in Erie County clamoring to revoke all revocable handgun permits on the theory that they were issued under a "revocable at anytime" premise. If the second amendment applies to the states, the county might not be able to issue "revocable at anytime" permits. So they might simply revoke all such existing permits and make everyone apply for permits that can't be revoked at any time. I'm sure blumberg has already thought of this for NYC.

But if that happens I think one could successfully argue that a constitutional right that takes more than 6 months to exercise is a denial of those rights. Unfortunately, it will take lengthy litigation to get to that conclusion.
    Then give me my money back.
    Well, my son-in-law put in his permit on July 15.
    Finally got the PD Interview on Feb 7th.
    Just about 7 months in.
    Of course, now that the investigating officer is done. It goes to the Chief of Police's desk.
    After he signs it it will go to a going downtown pile, for who know how long.
    Once the Permit Office receives it the next pile will be to the Judge.
    What a joke.

There are 250 work days in a year. 1000 applications divided by 250 = an average of 4 per day.
    What a workload.

3. Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    Then give me my money back.
    Well, my son-in-law put in his permit on July 15.
    Finally got the PD Interview on Feb 7th.
    Just about 7 months in.
    Of course, now that the investigating officer is done. It goes to the Chief of Police's desk.
    After he signs it it will go to a going downtown pile, for who know how long.
    Once the Permit Office receives it the next pile will be to the Judge.
    What a joke.

There are 250 work days in a year. 1000 applications divided by 250 = an average of 4 per day.
    What a workload.
    Try calling Kathy Hochels office but talk real fast. As soon as they ask why you are calling, they patch you right over to the pistol permit office. Ask to speak to Kathy Hochel about poor service from some of her employees. Tell the person who answers the phone that you want to talk to her only. It's time we stand up people. These seven slugs in this office are crapping all over us.

Did ypu get through to her? what did she say about the delay in mailing your permit?

5. She was out of the office. She was attending the Auto Show . I'll try again Monday and this time I will talk real fast because the minute you say the words "pistol permit" they click the phone and it rings at the psitol permit office.

EDIT: Monday is a PAID county holiday so there will be an additional delay in trying to make contact. Unreal.

I joined a Forum called MyGunSpot - Kinda like a Facebook for Gun Owners.
    One of the admins told me that Illinois is having the same exact problem. Their law says must issue in 30 days.

He gave me a link to show me what the guys in Illinois are doing.
    Illinois State Police Delaying Firearms Owner Identification FOID Cards | LearnAboutGuns.com*

7. I spoke to the Erie County Pistol Department mid December and was told my permit was on its way to the Cheektowaga PD. I called them Jan. 27th and talked to the pistol departments secretary. As soon as I told her my name she was able to tell me where in the process I was (mine was on the Detectives desk and next to be called for reference checks) and even took my info so she could call me back after she talked to the detective. Four hours later she called me back to tell me the detective would start my references soon. That night they talked to 3 of my references and left a message for the 4th, and a week later they were all contacted. I plan to call the PD Monday to see if my permit has been sent back to Erie county or if its still on a desk there. Sad thing is that once it gets back down town I hear it can sit on the judges desk for up to 3 months and then another 2-3 to get my actual permit from Albany. Even sadder is I now have a .357 S&W, Glock 27 and Beretta .22 paid for, waiting to be fired and collecting dust at the gun store. So now the hope is to have my permit by summer.

Quick Stats
    - 5/15/09 submitted finished application downtown and sched. my fingerprints
    - August 09 permit sent to FBI
    - 12/11/09 called downtown to find out permit status was told it was sent to Cheektowaga PD for my reference checks
    - 12/28 Cheektowaga PD says they received my packet
    -1/27 3 of 4 references contacted
    - 2/5 last reference contacted

8. I'm almost 4 months ahead of you and still no permit. You have a long way to go if current trends are any indication. Plan on Fall of 2010 or even 2011. It's been one year for me already and mine has been approved since last year!

Quote Originally Posted by permitinNYtakesayear View Post
    I'm almost 4 months ahead of you and still no permit. You have a long way to go if current trends are any indication. Plan on Fall of 2010 or even 2011. It's been one year for me already and mine has been approved since last year!
    Have you contacted the NYS Rifle and Pistol Association or the NRA. I'm not sure if they could help, but it can't hurt.

10. Erie County Pistol Permit Bureau

I e-mailed Senator Dale Volker today and detailed my experiences with the EC PPB and application process time line.

I think that it may be more effective to put things in writing when contacting a politician. They tend to respect the fact that there's a paper trail, makes it much harder for them to deny not being informed.

It might not be a bad idea for everyone to politely contact Senator Volker by e-mail and express your concerns. If enough people make enough noise we may get some results.

Tens months and counting. Application received by the PPB from my local PD on December 14, 2009. Clerk at the PPB said it takes 3 months for the licensing judge to get around to signing off on the application and then another 8 to 12 weelks to just to print out my permit and send it to my home.

Anyone have a shorter wait for the judge to ok you application, 3 months seem excessively long and the additional 8 to 12 weeks just to print it out is just outright insulting.

11. Insulting is about as mild a word as one could use in describing these delays. Kathy Hochul has been known to get things moving at this office (she's the BOSS of the Pistol Permit Office) but she's still a Liberal Dem and these delays seem to be by design. I'd also write to Ms. Hochul also. She takes questions now and then when she's interviewed on WBEN. I plan on calling her on the radio and putting some heat on her the next time she appears on Sandy Beach show. Maybe a letter to the Buffalo News asking that they look into pistol permit delays? It's a long shot but worth a try.

Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast