Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 14
Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Sample Letter:

As a registered voter I would like to express my support for gun rights and opposition to any further gun control legislation. More anti-gun rights law will only prevent law abiding citizens from defending themselves, and will not deter criminals who already disobey the laws against murder, robbery, etc. As my elected official, please keep my viewpoint in mind and vote in favor of gun rights and the right for law abiding citizens to defend themselves.
    I also ask that you please investigate the long delays occurring in the Erie County Pistol Permit Office.
    NY State Law states in Section 400.00 of the NYS Penal Code, Paragraph 4-a

4-a. Processing of license applications. Applications for licenses
    shall be accepted for processing by the licensing officer at the time of
    presentment. Except upon written notice to the applicant specifically
    stating the reasons for any delay, in each case the licensing officer
    shall act upon any application for a license pursuant to this section
    within six months of the date of presentment of such an application to
    the appropriate authority. Such delay may only be for good cause and
    with respect to the applicant. In acting upon an application, the
    licensing officer shall either deny the application for reasons
    specifically and concisely stated in writing or grant the application
    and issue the license applied for.

The Eire County web site clearly state the process take between 6 and 8 months.
    I know of people that have waited waited over 12 months to get their NY State Pistol Permit , despite the fact that the law requires the permit be issued or denied within six months.

Please investigate and determine what gives a County Government Agency the right to disregard and violate New York State law.

Sincerely,

3. Just another quick update...my packet has made its way back downtown to the judges desk for final review and signing...here are the stats thus far:

- 5/15/09 submitted finished application downtown and sched. my fingerprints
    - August 09 permit sent to FBI
    - 12/11/09 called downtown to find out permit status was told it was sent to Cheektowaga PD for my reference checks
    - 12/28/09 Cheektowaga PD says they received my packet
    -1/27/10 3 of 4 references contacted
    - 2/5/10 last reference contacted
    - 2/16/10 Checked in with the permit department downtown to find out my permit was returned and on the judges desk for final review and signing

4. Well sitting here still at the 14 month point, called last week and they said my permit was done, but the printer was broken, so they needed to have a new printer overnighted in to resume making permits. Sad to see that we have more then doubled the time frame it should take here in Erie county. But honestly not, enough people complain, I have made it rough on myself I am sure, I have complained each and every time I was treated rudely when I called in or any other time I was displeased. I have sent e-mails to my congressmen, senators, the county exec, county clerk and all 3 news organizations in the area. The only one to ever get back to me was the county clerk and that did little or no good. I am so fed up with this county and state. We all need to complain at once to one of the news agencies and make them do a story on this! We cant expose this any other way, so who's in? I think we need a good 50 people e-mailing one agency all in one day with real contact info to turn them onto this and make them know there are some in Erie county who want answers!

Mr.B ,

Did they say how long it was going to sit on Judges desk?

If the Supreme's hold that the 2nd applies to this state, then I think a lawsuit or threatened lawsuit over the time it takes issue a permit will be successful in speeding up the process.

7. Quote Originally Posted by holdmdwn View Post
    Well sitting here still at the 14 month point, called last week and they said my permit was done, but the printer was broken, so they needed to have a new printer overnighted in to resume making permits. Sad to see that we have more then doubled the time frame it should take here in Erie county. But honestly not, enough people complain, I have made it rough on myself I am sure, I have complained each and every time I was treated rudely when I called in or any other time I was displeased. I have sent e-mails to my congressmen, senators, the county exec, county clerk and all 3 news organizations in the area. The only one to ever get back to me was the county clerk and that did little or no good. I am so fed up with this county and state. We all need to complain at once to one of the news agencies and make them do a story on this! We cant expose this any other way, so who's in? I think we need a good 50 people e-mailing one agency all in one day with real contact info to turn them onto this and make them know there are some in Erie county who want answers!
    You won't get any help from SCOPE, Erie County chapter. They think Hathy Hochul is doing a good job because she authorized overtime for pistol permit personel to work at the Hamburg gun show! This office and this county clerk are a total disgrace.

The lovely people from the Pistol Permit office will be at the Hamburg Fairgrounds gun show March 6th and 7th. Maybe we can meet up and ask them in person why it is taking them so long to issue permits? Just a thought.

8. Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    Mr.B ,

Did they say how long it was going to sit on Judges desk?
    Mine sat there for around 2 months or so. You know what else? My approval letter was dated 3 weeks before they even mailed it to me so it sat at the pistol permit office all that time before they stuffed it in an envelope and mailed it to me. Now I'm waitng over 3 months for them to print my permit card so I can pick up my long ago purchased handgun that I bought last year. SCOPE seems to think Kathy Hochul is pro-second ammendment. What a joke.

Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by holdmdwn View Post
    We all need to complain at once to one of the news agencies and make them do a story on this! We cant expose this any other way, so who's in? I think we need a good 50 people e-mailing one agency all in one day with real contact info to turn them onto this and make them know there are some in Erie county who want answers!
    Great Idea.
    All three TV Stations
    TV stations in Albany
    Buffalo News Website all log in and start a thread.
    All it will take is one to mention something and the others will feel scooped.
    That could start a feeding frenzy.
    I dunno just thinking.

I ask that you please investigate the long delays occurring in the Erie County Pistol Permit Office.
    NY State Law states in Section 400.00 of the NYS Penal Code, Paragraph 4-a

4-a. Processing of license applications. Applications for licenses
    shall be accepted for processing by the licensing officer at the time of
    presentment. Except upon written notice to the applicant specifically
    stating the reasons for any delay, in each case the licensing officer
    shall act upon any application for a license pursuant to this section
    within six months of the date of presentment of such an application to
    the appropriate authority. Such delay may only be for good cause and
    with respect to the applicant. In acting upon an application, the
    licensing officer shall either deny the application for reasons
    specifically and concisely stated in writing or grant the application
    and issue the license applied for.

The Pistol Permit web site clearly states the process takes between 6 and 8 months, when it is actually taking between 12 and 18 months. Again please refer to the law that states the permit be issued or denied within six months.

What good are laws if they are simply ignored.

Well - I started putting together a list of e-mails and most of the stations have form mail or Face book etc
    YNN is ok with [email protected]

The other and possibly more effective way would be to invest in 3 stamps and snail mail all three stations on the same day.
    signing off with
    I'm sorry but in fear of retribution and discrimination by our own Government Agency I cannot supply a return address and only give you my first name.

Sincerely,

(Your first Name)

Again, just thinking - please lets discuss further.
    Last edited by golocx4; 02-17-2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: omission of details

11. They gave me a time line of 1-2 months on the judges desk and another 1-2 months once I get my letter and register my guns before I get my actual permit.

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast