Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 15
Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. I'm not so sure that there is anything we can do to fix the situation with the length of time it takes to get permits in Erie County. They have created a system that takes entirely to long to complete. If we were to file some sort of suit or run to the news I doubt we would get anywhere. The reason I say this is that there are to many agencies involved( Erie Count Pistol Permit, FBI, All the local Police Departments, the Judge who signs off on it, Departments in Albany and possibly many others. I doubt any news agency or lawyer would want to take on such an ordeal. I'm afraid any mass complaints would just slow the process any more and frankly piss those involved with approvals off, resulting in the denials of permits for the smallest(but justifiable) reasons. Sorry for the negative outlook but I'm afraid they have us over a barrel and all we can do is wait it out. Good luck to everyone and I hope the process goes quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    Well - I started putting together a list of e-mails and most of the stations have form mail or Face book etc
    YNN is ok with [email protected]

The other and possibly more effective way would be to invest in 3 stamps and snail mail all three stations on the same day.
    signing off with
    I'm sorry but in fear of retribution and discrimination by our own Government Agency I cannot supply a return address and only give you my first name.

Sincerely,

(Your first Name)

Again, just thinking - please lets discuss further.
    The sign off won't work. First, it sounds too aluminum foil helmet like. But more importantly, TV stations want live bodies.

If someone who has been approved but has not yet received their permit called Al Vaughters of WIVB and offered to tell their story on air, and reminded him that the Supreme Court hears oral argument in McDonald v. Chicago on march 2, he would probably pitch it to his editors. but timing is everything, after March 2 the story won't be of much interest again until late june when the court renders it opinion.

4. I'm glad there are a few others that agree with me! No w we just need to organize, no form letters they may be more prone to do something if each letter is a little unique! It's a disgrace that we have to take extra steps, but this department and their shortcomings must be exposed!

But on another note, I did finally yesterday get my real card in the mail. Well over 14 months after my initial application!

5. Quote Originally Posted by holdmdwn View Post
    I'm glad there are a few others that agree with me! No w we just need to organize, no form letters they may be more prone to do something if each letter is a little unique! It's a disgrace that we have to take extra steps, but this department and their shortcomings must be exposed!

But on another note, I did finally yesterday get my real card in the mail. Well over 14 months after my initial application!
    I may have " taken one for the team" on this one. Over the weekend I e-mailed EC Clerk Kathy Hochul and outlined my experience with the EC PPB ( 11 months and counting ). I approached her in a professional and polite manner but pointed out; a.) the current length of time for the application process, b.) procesing times in other NY counties are much shorter and that c.) based upon the number of applications that are purportedly being received by the PPB each employee in the office is processing just under 2 applications per day.

I asked for, but never expected a response. But low and behold there was a message on my cell phone this morning from Mrs. Hochul asking me to call her back and discus my application.

I will post the results of my conversation with Mrs. Hochul later today.

PS. I did mention to her my fear of retribution from the EC PPB employees should they find out that I expressed my concerns to her and asked that she keep my correspondence confidential. We'll see what happens.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mjb1956 View Post
    I may have " taken one for the team" on this one. Over the weekend I e-mailed EC Clerk Kathy Hochul and outlined my experience with the EC PPB ( 11 months and counting ). I approached her in a professional and polite manner but pointed out; a.) the current length of time for the application process, b.) procesing times in other NY counties are much shorter and that c.) based upon the number of applications that are purportedly being received by the PPB each employee in the office is processing just under 2 applications per day.

I asked for, but never expected a response. But low and behold there was a message on my cell phone this morning from Mrs. Hochul asking me to call her back and discus my application.

I will post the results of my conversation with Mrs. Hochul later today.

PS. I did mention to her my fear of retribution from the EC PPB employees should they find out that I expressed my concerns to her and asked that she keep my correspondence confidential. We'll see what happens.
    I spoke with Kathy Hochul this morning. First let me say that she seems genuinely concerned about the problems at the PPB and she outlined some of the things she is planning to do to get the entire process down to four months.

Things discussed:

She told me that th last full year prior to NOBAMA's election the PPB had a total of 700 applications, after his election 3000.

There's a tendency for the clerks to wait on walk in customers who are making amendments to their existing permits instead of processing new applications. This is being addressed.

The office supervisor's wife is ill and has required him to only work part time over the year. While that cat's away the mice will play.

The software that processes the actual permits cannot keep up with the increased volume of permits.

They have to use standard typewriters.

Other counties only use their county sheriff department for reference checks, Erie County uses local PD's.

What she's planning on doing.

Next week she and her staff are taking a road trip to Monroe County to see how they do things and to see if they can incorporate some of Monroe Counties procedures to streamline EC's operation.

She is attempting to get a software upgrade to help process more permits faster.

She has authorized overtime for the PPB staff.

She has allocated additional staff to the PPB to help with the backlog.

Longer term, she is hoping to implement an all electronic system to dramatically improve processing times.

Mrs Hochul agreed that the current situation in "unacceptable" and needs fixing. She also mentioned that she responded to my e-mail because it wasn't sent anonymously and included a contact number. She also said that she will respect anyones request for confidentiality and not disclose you name to the employees at the PPB. In addition, Mrs Hochul stated that she would be happy to receive constructive suggestions from any citizen.

I don't know if my chat with Mrs Hochul will make the process any faster, but perhaps if enough people approach her in a professional manner she can continue to pressure the PPB to improve it's performance.

She also said that if things didn't improve "heads will roll".

Send her an e-mail and express your concerns. ( with your name, phone number and request for confidentiality )

7. Interesting. I was also contacted. Permit arrived the next day. It only took 14 month.

One question for Ms. Hochul: There are seven people in this office and before Obama they STILL took 8 to 12 months to process 700 applications in a YEAR? That works out to 70 applications per employee per YEAR. Three thousand applications for 7 employees is not a heavy work load. There are people on this forum who could do 5 times that number without breaking a sweat. Did you mention the rude behavior from the employees? Especially the women?

Thanks for your effort. Now that "overtime" has been authourized, maybe the permits will start flowing. That's what it's all about when it comes to county workers.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mjb1956 View Post
    I spoke with Kathy Hochul this morning. First let me say that she seems genuinely concerned about the problems at the PPB and she outlined some of the things she is planning to do to get the entire process down to four months.

Things discussed:

She told me that th last full year prior to NOBAMA's election the PPB had a total of 700 applications, after his election 3000.

There's a tendency for the clerks to wait on walk in customers who are making amendments to their existing permits instead of processing new applications. This is being addressed.

The office supervisor's wife is ill and has required him to only work part time over the year. While that cat's away the mice will play.

The software that processes the actual permits cannot keep up with the increased volume of permits.

They have to use standard typewriters.

Other counties only use their county sheriff department for reference checks, Erie County uses local PD's.

What she's planning on doing.

Next week she and her staff are taking a road trip to Monroe County to see how they do things and to see if they can incorporate some of Monroe Counties procedures to streamline EC's operation.

She is attempting to get a software upgrade to help process more permits faster.

She has authorized overtime for the PPB staff.

She has allocated additional staff to the PPB to help with the backlog.

Longer term, she is hoping to implement an all electronic system to dramatically improve processing times.

Mrs Hochul agreed that the current situation in "unacceptable" and needs fixing. She also mentioned that she responded to my e-mail because it wasn't sent anonymously and included a contact number. She also said that she will respect anyones request for confidentiality and not disclose you name to the employees at the PPB. In addition, Mrs Hochul stated that she would be happy to receive constructive suggestions from any citizen.

I don't know if my chat with Mrs Hochul will make the process any faster, but perhaps if enough people approach her in a professional manner she can continue to pressure the PPB to improve it's performance.

She also said that if things didn't improve "heads will roll".

Send her an e-mail and express your concerns. ( with your name, phone number and request for confidentiality )
    Good stuff mjb1956

MJB1956,

We all thank you for taking one for the team. It shows your deadication. Please let us know when you finally get your permit. that way we can see if your Conversation with Mrs. Hochul helped. and, she really does what she says she is going to do

good work mjb - that's how to approach problem. Better than flying airplanes into a building.

but seriously, do they still sell pats for typewriters?

Glad to hear things are looking better.

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast