Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 16
Page 16 of 72 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Quote Originally Posted by mjb1956 View Post
    I spoke with Kathy Hochul this morning. First let me say that she seems genuinely concerned about the problems at the PPB and she outlined some of the things she is planning to do to get the entire process down to four months.

Things discussed:

She told me that th last full year prior to NOBAMA's election the PPB had a total of 700 applications, after his election 3000.

There's a tendency for the clerks to wait on walk in customers who are making amendments to their existing permits instead of processing new applications. This is being addressed.

The office supervisor's wife is ill and has required him to only work part time over the year. While that cat's away the mice will play.

The software that processes the actual permits cannot keep up with the increased volume of permits.

They have to use standard typewriters.

Other counties only use their county sheriff department for reference checks, Erie County uses local PD's.

What she's planning on doing.

Next week she and her staff are taking a road trip to Monroe County to see how they do things and to see if they can incorporate some of Monroe Counties procedures to streamline EC's operation.

She is attempting to get a software upgrade to help process more permits faster.

She has authorized overtime for the PPB staff.

She has allocated additional staff to the PPB to help with the backlog.

Longer term, she is hoping to implement an all electronic system to dramatically improve processing times.

Mrs Hochul agreed that the current situation in "unacceptable" and needs fixing. She also mentioned that she responded to my e-mail because it wasn't sent anonymously and included a contact number. She also said that she will respect anyones request for confidentiality and not disclose you name to the employees at the PPB. In addition, Mrs Hochul stated that she would be happy to receive constructive suggestions from any citizen.

I don't know if my chat with Mrs Hochul will make the process any faster, but perhaps if enough people approach her in a professional manner she can continue to pressure the PPB to improve it's performance.

She also said that if things didn't improve "heads will roll".

Send her an e-mail and express your concerns. ( with your name, phone number and request for confidentiality )
    Great job! From my prior posts, I have spoke with Hocul as well as Will Fowler and had tried to contact various other public officials, but Hocul was the only true public official to respond to me as well. She offered various explanations and so did Will Fowler, but the process has been broken for a long, long time and I truly dont know if it can be fixed with some of the current staff in the pistol dept. I seen another post saying that diving into this could be a bad thing and piss off people, well damn it, we need to piss off some people! It's letting the status quo ride that is taking not only this process with it, but so many other things in out localities, state and fed gov... If we dont speak up and make others aware then we will be stuck with what we have now. Red tape to no end and nobody wanting to do anything about it. we are the only ones that can institute reform, to pressure our officials is our right, it's why we elect them, to do what the people need! I myself will continue to send e-mails, snail mails, post to blogs, boards, etc to get my views across, but for one thing to get done it needs support, and the community here are the supporters! If you havent, send an e-mail and be truthful with your name, as an official is much more likely to respond to someone who can cast a vote for them, or for the person who appoints them!

3. Received approval letter !

I don't know if my e-mail to or conversation with Kathy Hochul had anything to do wiyh it but I received my approval letter today. It's kind of coincidental that the date of my approval letter was the same day as my phone conversation with Mrs. Hochul.

Called the PPB after I received the letter, 6-8 weeks to receive the physical permit.

Best wishes to everyone who's still waiting!

12/30/09 Attended NRA Marksmanship/Safety class, got app and photo for app ($55.00)
    01/06/10 Turned in app.
    01/06/10 Electronically fingerprinted and photographed for the license (@FFL; $106.00)
    Word from FFL: "It's only taking about 6-7 months lately."
    02/24/10 No word on anything. Patiently waiting. References have not yet been called.

5. ok so i just called there office and ask if they fingerprint and took the photo at the office, the say no and tell me to go one of the pre approved places for that, me being new to buffalo/orchard park i ask where that would be, they tell me they dont know and to look it up online? can anyone help? i have my app all filled out all i need in the finger prints and photo to hand into the office

Quote Originally Posted by lurchmuffins View Post
    ok so i just called there office and ask if they fingerprint and took the photo at the office, the say no and tell me to go one of the pre approved places for that, me being new to buffalo/orchard park i ask where that would be, they tell me they dont know and to look it up online? can anyone help? i have my app all filled out all i need in the finger prints and photo to hand into the office
    what office did you call? I think you got incorrect information

Erie County takes your photo for $10 when you submit your application. Then they give you one photo and your fingerprint card with instructions to take it to either your local police (if your local police do the finger printing) or the Erie County Sheriff's Department (if your local police don't do fingerprinting.)

In either case, you'll want to make an appointment for the fingerprinting.

7. Quote Originally Posted by lurchmuffins View Post
    ok so i just called there office and ask if they fingerprint and took the photo at the office, the say no and tell me to go one of the pre approved places for that, me being new to buffalo/orchard park i ask where that would be, they tell me they dont know and to look it up online? can anyone help? i have my app all filled out all i need in the finger prints and photo to hand into the office
    I assume you took the madatory safety course? Most of these places take the photos for you as part of the fee for the course. You need passport type photos. I suggest the Yellow Pages. Buffalo Gun Center give the course several times a month but there are many others.

You may want to read the instructions carefully on the application to save yourself some headaches. Getting a simple hunting/target permit in Erie County NY takes well over a year. See my user ID name? I did everything right and it still took me 14 months. The prints are done at the Sheriffs office downtown when you turn in your initial app. they will tell you where to go when you turn in your papers at the pistol permit office. Hope this helps and good luck. Question: Why would anyone move here? Most are going the other way.

8. Starting in Dec '09 the local police depts are no longer allowed to handle the fingerprints for your pistol permit application. There are several designate locations that have been arranged and they will now zing you a nice fee for doing you that favor.(I don't know if this is a state thing our just Erie Co.) I don't have the info in front of me but if no one else chimes in I will get back here in a day or two with it.

take your safety class. they take photo there. use that photo and hand in your app at county hall. they'll look over your paperwork, then give you a list of places to go. but you have to call the main number on the sheet and use your 'reason code' to make an appointment. on that phone call, you pick the location and schedule an appt. the Delaware ave location is like a week wait usually.

make sure your postal money order (only postal m.o.) is for exactly $106.00. bring that to the appt.

the directions on the app are old. the info I gave is correct.

also, cut your photos out (they give you 4 at the safety class) and write your full name on the back of each.

metal detectors at county hall, just to let you know. permit office is on first floor.

sorry, one more... don't make the money order out to anyone until you get to your appt.

Page 16 of 72 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast