Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 17
Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. I suggest you file all your papers and then call County Clerk Kathy Hochul right away and let her know how you were treated by the staff. Let her know how much time you had to take off from work and how many hours you had to dedicate when dealing with HER worthless, lazy, rude employees. It might help you get your pemit in under a year, maybe 11 months if you are lcuky. It can't hurt, that's for sure. Either way, you have a LONG wait and one little error on the paperwork will make it even longer. ENJOY!

3. Update

I decided to send an email to Ms. Hochul asking her to look into my permit and about the 6 month waiting period. I received an email from one of her staff stating that the 6 months actually starts from the time the judge receives it and does not include any time used to gather information. It seems the delay comes from adding extra work to the corresponding Police Departments and the Judges involved rather then having a team dedicated to just permits, not that its an excuse and I'm not sure how other counties have managed to fast track it but that is neither here nor there. Here is the emails that were sent back and forth:

---My email sent---
    Ms. Hochul,

I was wondering if you would be willing to look into my
    permit process. I submitted my permit 5/15/09 and have
    been tracking it thus far, here is what I have been told:
    - 5/15/09 submitted finished application downtown and
    sched. my fingerprints
    - August 09 permit sent to FBI
    - 12/11/09 called downtown to find out permit status was
    told it was sent to Cheektowaga PD for my reference checks
    - 12/28/09 Cheektowaga PD says they received my packet
    -1/27/10 3 of 4 references contacted
    - 2/5/10 last reference contacted
    - 2/16/10 Checked in with the permit department downtown to
    find out my permit was returned and on the judges desk for
    final review and signing

It is my understanding that we should recieve some sort of
    approval within 6 months and I have been hesitant to contact
    you because I was afraid of some sort of retaliation,
    weather it be a paper "mix up" or lost application. Please
    understand that this is not an angry letter of complaint and
    I understand there is a need for the process but I also
    understand other counties/states have this process
    streamlined. It just bothers me that a process others have
    streamlined we take way beyond what the law says it
    should. Please feel free to contact me if you have any
    questions.
    "My Signature and phone number"

----1st response---

Thank you for contacting the Erie
    County Clerk's Office. Kathy Hochul has requested that
    I respond to your email. I have forwarded your email
    to a Clerk at the Pistol Permit Office for response, please
    let me know if you don't hear from someone in the next few
    days.

There will absolutely be no "retaliation" in asking the
    status of your permit. Some of the information
    necessary to process the permit comes is gathered by other
    agencies over which we have no control. However, you
    should receive a response directly from the Pistol Permit
    office in response to your email.

Please let me know if I can be of further service.

Patricia L. Fulwiler, Attorney

Deputy County Clerk - Legal

----My Response---

I can call there tomorrow, no need to forward it to them. I emailed you in November and you forwarded the email then too but I still have not heard a response from that email. I understand there is a process that each permit must go through and support the need for a detailed back round check. I was more or less just seeing if an email could speed the process. I have had all my back round checks done and my packet is on the judges desk waiting for a signature and I have heard that once you get your approval letter it still can take up to two months. With the warm weather approaching I just wanted to have everything in order once the snow melts and the ranges open. Thanks for the response and have a great day.

"My Signature"

---2nd Response---

Hopefully, we saved you the phone call, and Alan explained the process to you. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to call or email.

Patricia L. Fulwiler
    Deputy County Clerk - Legal

---3rd Response---

Mr. "My Last Name",
    I have reviewed the progress of your file and the dates you have suggested. Most information is correct except the 6months you are referring to actually starts from the time the judge receives the file as he is the licensing agent referred to in the state statute. this means that the "6 month" term starts when received by the judge and not for the gathering of information. this is a very common misconception. with regard to your application its status is in process for judge review and has not gone before the judge as he review the applications in groups. yours is in the next distribution to the judge. Once the judges review is final you will receive a letter in the mail as to his final decision. With regards to the streamlining process of other counties, we are in constant contact with surrounding counties with similar populations and the time frame of pistol distribution is comparable, another common misconception. We apologize for the extended period you have had to wait due to the extremely high volume of permits in 2009, and wish to reassure you your application is proceeding unimpeded. Please look to you mail for further correspondence.

Alan Brown
    Erie cty pistol permit dept.

So now I sit and wait.....I just wanted to let you guys know where I stand and give you an idea of what to expect through your "Permit Journey".

thanks for sharing your experiences mr. b.

Here is where I am at:

- 1/13/09 submitted finished application downtown and
    schedule my fingerprints

- 5/30/09 permit sent to FBI

- 6/11/09 called downtown to find out permit status was
    told it was sent to Amherst PD for my reference checks

-11/20/09 4 of 4 references contacted

-2/10/10 Checked in with the permit department downtown to
    find out my permit was returned and on the judges desk [Had been since early Dec.]

-3/31/2010 Received Approval Letter for Hunt/Target/Business

6. Wow that was fast! I like how it takes 4 months to send the info to the FBI for the background check. Way to go Kathy Hochul! Light a fire under those employees!

You should have your permit in another 14-18 weeks now that you got the letter. It's nice how Kathy Hochul has sped things up at the pistol permit department.

Quote Originally Posted by permitinNYtakesayear View Post

You should have your permit in another 14-18 weeks now that you got the letter. It's nice how Kathy Hochul has sped things up at the pistol permit department.
    I already went down town today and finished it up. I had bought my pistols months ago, just couldnt pick them up.

They are saying 2-3 weeks for the actual permit to arrive. We'll see...

8. Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    I already went down town today and finished it up. I had bought my pistols months ago, just couldnt pick them up.

They are saying 2-3 weeks for the actual permit to arrive. We'll see...
    They told me 8 weeks earlier this year. Three phone calls, five emails and 14 weeks later I got my restricted hunting/target permit. Good luck.

Don't worry, County Clerk Kathy Hochul is a friend of the taxpayer and the second amendment according to SCOPE. Forget the fact that she was legal councel for Senator Moynahan, one of the most ANTI-second amendment Senators in US History. When Sen Moynahan wanted to put a 1000% tax on guns and ammunition, Kathy Hochul was his his legal councel. Now she's in charge of the Pistol Permit office in Erie county and everyone wonders why permit issue times have doubled?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    Here is where I am at:

- 1/13/09 submitted finished application downtown and
    schedule my fingerprints

- 5/30/09 permit sent to FBI

- 6/11/09 called downtown to find out permit status was
    told it was sent to Amherst PD for my reference checks

-11/20/09 4 of 4 references contacted

-2/10/10 Checked in with the permit department downtown to
    find out my permit was returned and on the judges desk [Had been since early Dec.]

-3/31/2010 Received Approval Letter for Hunt/Target/Business

-4/2/2009 Received my Permit
    WOW, I already received my permit card! That must be a record!

Follow the law and apply for the unrestricted legally. Keep trying its not worth losing your priviledge.

Well said!

Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast