Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 18
Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    -4/2/2009 Received my Permit
    WOW, I already received my permit card! That must be a record!
    I'm a bit confused by your time line. As I recall, you can't purchase a handgun until after you receive the approval letter. Then you only have 60 days to purchase a handgun or the approval letter expires.

After you purchase a handgun you take the receipt (the handgun stays at the dealer) to the Clerk's office to get your actual permit. It had been taking 8 to 12 weeks for the Clerk to send you the actual permit. After you get the actual permit you can then you can pickup your handgun from the dealer.

As I read your post, it sounds like you purchased some handguns before you got the approval letter. How did you pull that off?

Then it sounds like you submitted the receipts on 3/31 and got the actual permit on 4/02, which means the Clerk's office processed the printing of your actual permit in just 2 days - a new world record.

you can purchase, but you can't touch it to inspect it or take posession of it until you get your golden ticket from ms. hochul's office. a store front still needs to do a quick FBI background check though.

I just turned my app in in January, and have a Taurus waiting for me at the shop.

be aware of who charges holding fees.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm a bit confused by your time line. As I recall, you can't purchase a handgun until after you receive the approval letter. Then you only have 60 days to purchase a handgun or the approval letter expires.

After you purchase a handgun you take the receipt (the handgun stays at the dealer) to the Clerk's office to get your actual permit. It had been taking 8 to 12 weeks for the Clerk to send you the actual permit. After you get the actual permit you can then you can pickup your handgun from the dealer.

As I read your post, it sounds like you purchased some handguns before you got the approval letter. How did you pull that off?

Then it sounds like you submitted the receipts on 3/31 and got the actual permit on 4/02, which means the Clerk's office processed the printing of your actual permit in just 2 days - a new world record.
    As pointed out above, you certainly can purchase a handgun in advance, you simply cannot take possession of it. They will give you a receipt that you can take downtown with your letter, the same as if you had waited FOR your letter, and purchased the handgun after- it is just the reverse order of things, and saves an extra stop later. After getting your letter... head to the ECPPD, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and then you can pick up your purchase once the card shows up in the mail.

And yes, that time line is correct. I got my letter on Wednesday, went down to the ECPPD the same day with my [then old] receipts for the handguns I had purchased and were being held for me, and I received my permit card on Saturday. All in all, 2 day processing time. Perhaps mine being for business protection sped the process up a bit? Perhaps they are caught up, the machine wasn't broken, I got in on the end of a card run, the wind was blowing from the east at 3.78 MPH and the postal employees were in a good mood for once?

I will be at the Niagara Gun Range Monday night with a few people, feel free to drop by and investigate... it wont be hard to find me based on what I shoot.

5. RE: Timeline

I was talking to a buddy of mine and all we could come up with is that maybe they changed the way they send out the cards. I was under the impression that once you registered your guns everything was sent to Albany and they sent you your card and coupons, maybe the cards and coupons are sent out from the downtown office now. If they did I'm sure it's because of someone in Albany losing their job and not to fast track the process for us. Either way congrats on the speed of the permit, mine has been downtown waiting for the judge to sign off on it for 8 weeks (that I know of) so hopefully the gun gods shine on me like they did you and I get my permit soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    I was talking to a buddy of mine and all we could come up with is that maybe they changed the way they send out the cards. I was under the impression that once you registered your guns everything was sent to Albany and they sent you your card and coupons, maybe the cards and coupons are sent out from the downtown office now. If they did I'm sure it's because of someone in Albany losing their job and not to fast track the process for us. Either way congrats on the speed of the permit, mine has been downtown waiting for the judge to sign off on it for 8 weeks (that I know of) so hopefully the gun gods shine on me like they did you and I get my permit soon.
    I can tell you that mine came from the ECPPD if that makes a difference...?

dropped of my app on 3/17. sent out about about a week ago to the FBI. hopefully when it gets to wspd there is going to be a fast turn around becuse of connections

8. I called down to the Pistol Permit Office today for my bi-weekly call to see if there was any progress in my permit. The lady who answered (Janet) told me that it was still in the same spot that it was when I last called. Apparently they keep track of how often people call for status updates. If they truly are just "middle guy" in the process who just gets the application to and from the agencies needed to do checks and sign offs, then why would it be important to keep track of when I last called. Seems very suspicious but from what I have been able to find out my application has only been back downtown for a little over 9 weeks so there's not much I can do. I'll keep you all posted but I have a lurking feeling that my application will mysteriously take the full 6 months they legally have to respond with a response to my application. I'll update the group as things progress.

Stats :

- 5/15/09 submitted finished application downtown and sched. my fingerprints
    - August 09 permit sent to FBI
    - 12/11/09 called downtown to find out permit status was told it was sent to Cheektowaga PD for my reference checks
    - 12/28/09 Cheektowaga PD says they received my packet
    -1/27/10 3 of 4 references contacted
    - 2/5/10 last reference contacted
    - 2/16/10 Checked in with the permit department downtown to find out my permit was returned and on the judges desk for final review and signing
    - 4/15/10 Called downtown again only to find out my permit still has not been up to see the judge by Janet (Permit Office employee) who said "it was still at the same spot it was the last time I called"

Ok are you ready for this?

Seven months- None of my references have been contacted.
    Called a month ago and they said it was in the hands of the investigator.

My daughter turned in her app 3 months ago using the electronic fingerprints and here references have all been contacted as well as her interview. Her packet is going to the Judge.

golocx4, that's fast for your daughter. did she have connections that you didn't? I'm still waiting for the judge to get mine, and I had e-fingerprints too.

the process of this process is so confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by smylypy View Post
    golocx4, that's fast for your daughter. did she have connections that you didn't? I'm still waiting for the judge to get mine, and I had e-fingerprints too.

the process of this process is so confusing.
    Nope, no connections used. Good for her though.

Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast