Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 19
Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Just contacted ecpd to inquire about the status of my permit and learned its been down at wspd for little over a week now.

3. I received my letter for hunting and target shooting in the mail today, so Monday I go downtown and register my guns. I'll update again once I get my actual card in the mail.

Stats :

- 5/15/09 submitted finished application downtown and sched. my fingerprints
    - August 09 permit sent to FBI
    - 12/11/09 called downtown to find out permit status was told it was sent to Cheektowaga PD for my reference checks
    - 12/28/09 Cheektowaga PD says they received my packet
    -1/27/10 3 of 4 references contacted
    - 2/5/10 last reference contacted
    - 2/16/10 Checked in with the permit department downtown to find out my permit was returned and on the judges desk for final review and signing
    - 4/15/10 Called downtown again only to find out my permit still has not been up to see the judge by Janet (Permit Office employee) who said "it was still at the same spot it was the last time I called"
    - 4/30/10 Got my approval letter in the mail

Congratulations

I received mine in the late 90s it took only 4-6 months. Is this for target/hunting?

5. Well after getting my Hunting & Target permit back in Feb 2010, the next week I went back and applied for unrestricted, even though most wait, and low and behold about a week and a half ago, bingo. Unrestricted letter in the mailbox. So always worth a try. So that was a mere 2 1/2 month turnaround to get that change.

Judge M. William Boller is becoming a little more leanient these days with reguards to issuing Unrestricted Permits. After you have had your permit for at least a year he usaually will grant your request for Unrestricted Status But there is an small problem that we as permit holders and new applicants need to help the Pistol permit office As all of you are aware there are extremely allot of applications beiing submitted these days. and, To complicate issues about 85% of permits that are approved , are turning around and submitting an upgrade request within an few days after they get their permits which I think is great... Im all for NO RESTICTIONS But, an good friend of mine works as an LawClerk to the Judge and explained the situation to me. ECPPD is so back logged with new permits and also everyone is submitting Upgrade request at the same time. Why They are so slow is the million dollar question but, to all new applicants once you recieve your permit In order to better improve your chances of getting Unrestricted you should wait about 6 months to apply for the Upgrade request this way it gives new applicants the chance to get their permits. Its only fair to them. Believe me Im not triing to deny anyone of us our rights to carry but as an permit holder I want to give the new applicants the chance to get theirs approved. and, if everyone keeps submitting upgrade request as soon as they receive their permit it does but a longer time frame on new applicants. Im not justifying anything for ECPPD just triing to allow new applicants the chance to get theirs approved in an timely manner. we are all out to achieve the same thing to get our permits. but, lets think of all the new applicants and give them the chance too Judge Boller is getting allot more relaxed on Issuing Unrestricted status once you been approved . Im sorry if this post will upset some of you that is not my Intention. Im only triing to allow all the new applicants the same thing we all already have their permits or If any of you have some better Ideas on how we can improve the system please post everyone always says we need to change how the system works here is our chance lets try to work this out so all applicants can get their permits in an timely manner we have the power to improve the system. the least we can do is try. Thanks all..

Quote Originally Posted by holdmdwn View Post
    Well after getting my Hunting & Target permit back in Feb 2010, the next week I went back and applied for unrestricted, even though most wait, and low and behold about a week and a half ago, bingo. Unrestricted letter in the mailbox. So always worth a try. So that was a mere 2 1/2 month turnaround to get that change.
    Just curious, what was your reasoning?

I had heard through the grapevine a while back that I may have been "targeted" based on the types of vehicles and parts I deal with, and I am hopeful that may be enough? I currently have a Business Carry/Target/Hunting, and I am self employed, so those will cover me 99% of the time, but that last 1% would be nice to have just in case. Being a business owner with these types of cars/parts, I have a bullseye on my forehead whether or not I am actually working. I work on the road, 24 hrs, etc... but some places are just tough to explain, lol. If I ever did find myself in a bad situation, the last thing I want to be doing is explaining why I was where I was carrying my handgun if it happens to be a less than obvious business location for what I do.

8. I received my actual permit in the mail today, total time between turning in the application and receiving the permit was 1 year and 5 days. I plan to apply for the upgrade in the next few months so I will update the group when I get a response. Good luck to everyone and I hope my info helps other with providing a time line for the permit process.
    Stats :

- 5/15/09 submitted finished application downtown and sched. my fingerprints
    - August 09 permit sent to FBI
    - 12/11/09 called downtown to find out permit status was told it was sent to Cheektowaga PD for my reference checks
    - 12/28/09 Cheektowaga PD says they received my packet
    -1/27/10 3 of 4 references contacted
    - 2/5/10 last reference contacted
    - 2/16/10 Checked in with the permit department downtown to find out my permit was returned and on the judges desk for final review and signing
    - 4/15/10 Called downtown again only to find out my permit still has not been up to see the judge by Janet (Permit Office employee) who said "it was still at the same spot it was the last time I called"
    - 4/30/10 Got my approval letter in the mail
    - 5/3/10 Handed in my approval letter and gun receipts downtown
    - 5/20/10 Received my actual permit in the mail and picked up my guns

9. It is expensive to get a permit but if u have no problems with ur background cheeck and references ull get it.
    I was suprised when i got mine in just 3 months.

10. Talking

but it dont have to take that long after 3 months i have got approved just have to buy a firearm and wait for the actual permit::

11. Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    Just curious, what was your reasoning?

I had heard through the grapevine a while back that I may have been "targeted" based on the types of vehicles and parts I deal with, and I am hopeful that may be enough? I currently have a Business Carry/Target/Hunting, and I am self employed, so those will cover me 99% of the time, but that last 1% would be nice to have just in case. Being a business owner with these types of cars/parts, I have a bullseye on my forehead whether or not I am actually working. I work on the road, 24 hrs, etc... but some places are just tough to explain, lol. If I ever did find myself in a bad situation, the last thing I want to be doing is explaining why I was where I was carrying my handgun if it happens to be a less than obvious business location for what I do.
    Well I just told the truth about my interest in firearms, as well as starting to teach hunters ed, which I will be doing my second class with a master instructor next month, my interest in NRA certification and such. I fed no BS to the judge, but also said that I have been around firearms all my life, since both mom and dad have carried unrestricted since the 60's sometime. Dont know if I worded things the correct way or what.

Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast