Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 21
Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. I called once a month after the 6 month mark to see where my application was in the process. I wouldn't call more than that and expect nasty people on the other end of the phone. The best thing you can do is to let your references know once the application gets to your police department so they can have an idea of when to expect calls for a reference check. Some places only do a few calls a day and if can't get a response from your references they put your app on the bottom of the pile. Good luck.

3. I received my letter in less then 3 months (applied in mid march got my letter 6/2). I didn't purchase anything until 6/29 and when I went down with my letter and receipt I was told it'd be another 4-6 weeks to get my actual permit. Why is there such a long wait for that? I believe they can print the cards out right there.

4. Less than 3 months ??!! I submitted my application in September '09...and still haven't received a letter yet !! It's been 10 months and still not close. Last time I called the permit office, they told me they hadn't received my background check from the DOJ yet. Maybe an excuse, maybe not..who knows. Meanwhile I wait...

Quote Originally Posted by jayrab View Post
    Less than 3 months ??!! I submitted my application in September '09...and still haven't received a letter yet !! It's been 10 months and still not close. Last time I called the permit office, they told me they hadn't received my background check from the DOJ yet. Maybe an excuse, maybe not..who knows. Meanwhile I wait...
    I also submitted in Sept 09.
    May 15 Erie CO Sheriff showed up to interview me and my wife.
    Went to neighbor but they were not home.
    Messages were left by him to my references.
    June 13 Sheriff finally contacted neighbor and reference's.
    June 30 Called Permit office. Still have not received from Sheriff Dept.

Meanwhile - my daughter submitted in Jan 10 with electronic Fingerprints
    May 1 received interview from PD
    June 1 received letter that license was ready.

Things appear to be improving at the office unless you were part of the pre electronic fingerprinting system.
    Depending on the Local PD that is doing your background check. This can take between 1 week and 5 months.

Called the office and the people are helpful on the phone.

My guess on the additional 4 to 6 week delay is (and this is only a guess)
    Its kind of like getting a divorce. Your divorce is granted by the judge, but not official until it is registered and stamped.
    This can be 30 days later.

My guess is since I submitted in Sept 09 than I should be finished by Sept or Oct 10.

6. Denial letter...

I received my denial letter for my upgrade to full unrestricted today...the official letter shows I do not have "proper cause" for the upgrade and can reapply after 5 years with proper cause....what a load of bull ****...so if I'm walking down the street and see someone getting robbed at gun point and I happen to have my firearm on me I'll turn and walk away and if anyone asks why I'll direct them to the wonderful team at the Erie County Pistol Permit Office. I received my full unrestricted permit for PA in 3 weeks...no interview..no hassle...I mailed my upgrade for Erie County at the same time and it took twice as long to get denied...I'm thinking it may be time to leave this state when the next opportunity to move within my company comes up...good luck to everyone else...

submitted very early in January, no clue where I'm at yet in the process.*

meanwhile, 3/4 of my references have moved or had their phone numbers changed.

if my company downsizes me next month, I will be moving out of state. sooooo sick of nys and its inability to get its ::stuff:: together.

I am sorry about the denial. May I ask what you put on your unrestricted application. I pointed out that I and my familly owned property in a high crime area in Buffalo, I had years of experience in the military with open carry, and I understand all of the restrictions of the unrestricted license.

9. Yea I guess the E-fingerprints would be the way to go. The woman at the permit office did mention to me that they had to resend my prints for some reason or another. The fact that people wait a year for these permits is so absurd. Add to that the fact they can just arbitrarily deny anyone that wants an unrestricted permit. It's not a good system here but the good news is we 're not in Chicago. When is the government and liberals going to realize that when the good guys are armed, crime rates drop ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    ...so if I'm walking down the street and see someone getting robbed at gun point and I happen to have my firearm on me I'll turn and walk away...
    Did your application say you wanted an unrestricted permit so you could protect other people from crime? If so, I bet that is why you were denied, and if so it was the right decision.

We should all be allowed to carry concealed for personal protection, but I don't think we need people carrying to play Dirty Harry.

11. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Did your application say you wanted an unrestricted permit so you could protect other people from crime? If so, I bet that is why you were denied, and if so it was the right decision.

We should all be allowed to carry concealed for personal protection, but I don't think we need people carrying to play Dirty Harry.
    Good point about people "playing Dirty Harry" but that was not nor is it my intention...that was just an off comment made out of frustration...I forgot that people take things so literally sometimes ...I put that I was robbed at gun point and now that I have a 6 month old son I would like to be able to defend my family and myself should the need present itself and only as a last resort...I also stated that my in laws live on a one way street that has an apartment at one end that has had shootings and drug activity....in addition I noted that I have no intention on being a hero and I would leave that to the trained professionals and that using my firearm would be an absolute last resort..it is a much better practice to avoid situations that may result in violence than to have an "i'll rely on my gun" mind set...when I was robbed at gun point I was at work and a gun walked up to me, asked for all the money in the drawer and pointed a gun in my face...nothing could have been done to avoid that situation and thank god it ended with just a loss of $106.52 to the store...but I would not want to rely on luck should a situation present itself like that again .. my opinion on the matter is that the lovely staff that intercepts the upgrade forms saw that I only had my permit for a short time and put it into a denied pile without the judge actually reading it....when I went to get my card printed and asked for an upgrade form the nasty lady told me "not to bother because they won't even consider it unless you have had your permit for 5 years"...so I'll wait the 5 years...oh and I probably won't be leaving the state either...that was another comment based out of frustration..just wanted to clear that up too....take care...Happy 4th

Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast