Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 23
Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by PFC WEBB View Post
    Hello gents, I've been reading this thread over the last months, and it has been very useful in my understanding of the process. Unfortunately I today received a letter of denial from Kathleen C. Hochul. My timeline is as follows.

October 2009 - Applied

April 2010 - References Contacted

May 2010 - Interview

July 21, 2010 - Denial

The Hon. M. William Boller states the reason for denial as: "The information received as the result of an investigation conducted by the Erie County Sheriff's Department and their subsequent recommendation for denial."

I have a clean record, military service, 2 years as a security guard, desire to be an armed guard, go hunting, and am a memeber of a range. What in the heck did they deny me on? I have a valid Florida license which is now no good to me whatsoever. Thoughts? Advice? I'm all ears gentlemen.
    Why is your Florida permit no longer any good? It was no good in New York before but it's still good elsewhere.

3. PFC Webb, the ECSO bases their recommendation after speaking to your references. Is it possible one of your references "deep sixed" you for some reason?

4. @Abacab: Well, since I live in NYS I simply mean I can't realistically purchase a firearm in another state and bring it home. Sure, IF I had a pistol, I could now carry it in about 30 other states, but even if I purchased one outside NYS I'd have to keep it out of state. Far too much trouble and too little utility. Funny how 30 other states are ready to let me carry concealed but the place I was born in and have called home for 21 years says, "no way."

@RottenII: Well, 3 of my 4 references should have been rock solid. 3 friends, of 2, 4, and 8 years, and my First Sergeant. Granted he was getting old so perhaps he got a little senile but I doubt it. He was NRA all the way. Only thing I can think of is maybe one of my references said something stupid? Good thought though Rotten, thx much.

Quote Originally Posted by PFC WEBB View Post
    @Abacab: Well, since I live in NYS I simply mean I can't realistically purchase a firearm in another state and bring it home. Sure, IF I had a pistol, I could now carry it in about 30 other states, but even if I purchased one outside NYS I'd have to keep it out of state. Far too much trouble and too little utility. Funny how 30 other states are ready to let me carry concealed but the place I was born in and have called home for 21 years says, "no way."

@RottenII: Well, 3 of my 4 references should have been rock solid. 3 friends, of 2, 4, and 8 years, and my First Sergeant. Granted he was getting old so perhaps he got a little senile but I doubt it. He was NRA all the way. Only thing I can think of is maybe one of my references said something stupid? Good thought though Rotten, thx much.
    Ohhhhhhh. I thought you had a Pistol Permit but were denied a Full-Carry permit. Sorry. :\

6. Have you had any luck in the upgrade REV72 ?

Quote Originally Posted by bbc55 View Post
    Have you had any luck in the upgrade REV72 ?
    Nothing yet. Still waiting for the hearing date. I'll keep ya updated...thanks for asking!

Scope gives $5k to saf for help in new york lawsuit

BELLEVUE, WA – The New York-based Shooters Committee On Political Education (SCOPE) has made a generous $5,000 contribution to the Second Amendment Foundation’s continuing legal efforts to roll back onerous gun laws in various states, including New York, where SAF recently filed a lawsuit in Westchester County over a state law that allows carry licenses to be denied because applicants cannot show “good cause.”

“This generous contribution from our good friends at SCOPE will help our battle against gun laws that tie the hands of law-abiding citizens in bureaucratic red tape,” said SAF Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “SCOPE’s donation is a financial right-hook to the indifference of public officials who really should be the ones required to show ‘good cause’ for withholding a gun permit.”

“For too long New York State has treated the right to keep and bear arms and even the basic right of self defense as privilege to be granted or denied at the whim of government officials,” added Stephen J Aldstadt, SCOPE president.

On July 16, SAF filed a lawsuit in federal district court on behalf of Alan Kachalsky and Christina Nikolov, both Westchester County residents whose permit applications were denied. Kachalsky’s denial was because he could not “demonstrate a need for self protection distinguishable from that of the general public.” Nikolov’s was denied because she could not demonstrate that there was “any type of threat to her own safety anywhere.” In addition to Westchester County, Susan Cacace and Jeffrey Cohen, both serving at times as handgun permit licensing officers, are named as defendants. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, White Plains Division.

“This case strikes right at the core of a problem that has existed in New York for generations,” Gottlieb said. “For far too long, the New York bureaucracy has treated our Second Amendment right as a second-class privilege. Thanks to SCOPE, we will fight to correct this unjust system in the courts. We’re restoring gun rights one lawsuit at a time.”

The Second Amendment Foundation (Second Amendment Foundation Online) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers and an amicus brief and fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

9. Thank you!

Contribution is appreciated by this licensed NYS resident. Hope the lawsuit goes further to benefit licensed New Yorkers. There should be no restrictions on permits once issued. If you qualify for a permit you should have the right, not the privilige to carry concealed without restriction for the range only. Arbitrary and capricious restrictions should not be lawful. They infringe upon our rights as law abiding and law respecting American citizens.

10. In Nassau and Suffolk the Police Commisioner is the primary reason why restrictions still exist.It has been rumored that restrictons may be lifted due to the law suit in Westchester and is causing a new out look with allowing full carry.

I've been following this bulletin since I found this forum, and I haven't heard a single good or fair thing that's happened to anyone else posting.

Just expressing my frustration at The System and the crap you and I are going through.

12/30/09 Attended NRA Marksmanship/Safety class, got app and photo for app ($55.00)
    01/06/10 Turned in app.
    01/06/10 Electronically fingerprinted and photographed for the license (@FFL; $106.00)
    Word from a FFL: "It's only taking about 6-7 months lately."
    08/14/10 No word on anything. References have not yet been called.

Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast