Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 27
Page 27 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    wow, just 5 1/2 months. mine took 16 months. I heard a political ad for Kathy Hochul the other day claiming she has significantly reduced the time it takes to get a pistol permit. Sounds like she was telling the truth.
    By the sounds of it She really has been improving the time of the process. I think the electronic finger prints by a 3rd party helps the process (this is supposedly a state wide thing, not just specific to Erie County), the third party company does the finger prints, and the FBI background check. I was able to make an appointment online for within one hour of turning in my permit application to the county.

3. Quote Originally Posted by smylypy View Post
    Congratulations to you all! :)

I applied the first week of January. Would it be normal not to have heard a single word yet? (No references contacted, etc)

I'm so tempted to contact them... but I don't want to jynx it.
    I would definitely call the pistol permit office, and ask where in the process your application is. They usually tell people not to contact them for 6 months, but you with no news in almost 11 months, I'd definitely call. It could be sitting on a detective's desk waiting for him/her to check your references. I've had a couple of friends who had to call their local PD and push them along in the reference check process. Just talk to the detective in charge of pistol permits. I called the guy here in Hamburg before I even applied to see how many of my character references had to be from the Town of Hamburg. Really great guy, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by smylypy View Post
    Congratulations to you all! :)

I applied the first week of January. Would it be normal not to have heard a single word yet? (No references contacted, etc)

I'm so tempted to contact them... but I don't want to jynx it.
    Don't be afraid. They will help you.
    They will also note that you called on your record but they will help you with what they know.
    I called every month after six until month 12 but I turned mine in before electronic printing and upfront photo.

Just called the permit office today to check on the status of my permit because west Seneca had contacted all my referencesin October. The office said that its still at WSPD. Its been there since April. To me this is beyond ridiculous. 7 months and its still there. Not to mention that the guy at the office made it seem like I was bothering him because of the call

Now you know, Time to call WSPD.
    Just so you know, Erie Co Sheriff had mine from Nov to August. 9 months,
    Normally I have heard good things about WS PD.

7. LOONNGG Wait

Let me tell you my rundown: March 2009 took course. Had the prints done w/in 30 days. The Town was done in maybe three total months and I had it moved to Erie Co. they got ahold of me early 10' to say I need a new reference as one of mine, they could not contact. Got my neighbor, an ex-marine and permit holder. Now, it's late November 10' and still nothing. This totals 19 mths. thus far. I WAS told I got set back when I had to get a new contact. Last TWO calls to check they told me"It's on the judges desk". Let me say I've had one minor arrest in my late teens 25 yrs. ago (expunged--misdemeaner) and I passed a full Federal backround check for Dept. of Treasury about 12 yrs. ago. I don't get it. If the new reference is the restart date, I'm gonna allow 1 full yr. from there and project out to Feb. of 2011. If I'm on that's almost 2 full yrs. start to finish.

8. Erie County Pistol Permit

I have been hearing that permits may be held up by the police department that is looking into references due to the availability of investigators or even the references you have given. One of my students received theirs in Hamburg in 7 months and another student in Grand Island received theirs in 11 months.

James
    Firearms Training Of Western New York
    Firearms Training of WNY
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    I have been hearing that permits may be held up by the police department that is looking into references due to the availability of investigators or even the references you have given. One of my students received theirs in Hamburg in 7 months and another student in Grand Island received theirs in 11 months.
    FTWNY, you're onto something.

I called to inquire just before Thanksgiving. I made it clear that I know the office is busy, but 11 months without references being contacted is quite the wait. I explained that, for all I knew, my application hadn't physically made it to their filing system. And I was sincere.

He had me call him back a few minutes later while he went to go check. He explained that, unfortunately, I live in Buffalo, which meant that my app had to be processed the lone person handling all Buffalo apps... and there are MANY. To paraphrase, he didn't want to get my hopes up and promise me that the ball would be rolling soon, but he said it did appear that my application was coming up soon for review.

Thus, depending on where you live, processing time takes longer.

So... I guess the moral of the story is to be patient.

Holy cow this is horrible. I can't believe in Upstate this is going on. I hear of things being tough in Downstate (Long Island and Westchester Counties), but nothing like that. Here in Rockland County, they mail a form letter out that scares you because it's labeled "Criminal Investigation". The person that gets it usually pisses in their pants, even thou they might remember signing up to be a reference, it catches them off guard. How quick these references mail in the response has an impact on the timeliness of things. In Rockland they tell you four months, but expect six. I got mine in 70 DAYS!!! None of my friends could believe me. I feel sorry for you guys. I just submitted a few pistols to be added to my license and I think the Judge is going to take his time with that one. Hang in there and keep the faith.

Just another great thing from my friends at WSPD. The interviewing officer called me the week before Thanksgiving to set up an interview with me and the assistant chief. Well the 2 days the had available were no good for me. So they said they'll call me back in December. Well they have not called me back yet so I decided to give them a call. So I called talked to them and they said I have to wait till January or February. So now that adds another month or 2 on my wait time.

Page 27 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast