Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 32
Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    We keep getting more and more of our students coming back and telling us that their Erie County permit letters were issued in less then 4 months. This seems to be a trend that has been steady lately.
    Long time lurker, first time poster. That being said, it took, almost to the date, 6 months to get a call from my local police. And I'm still waiting!! FYI, submitted my application in early September.

3. Quote Originally Posted by graficdsignr View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster. That being said, it took, almost to the date, 6 months to get a call from my local police. And I'm still waiting!! FYI, submitted my application in early September.
    Only a few counties issue a license less than 6 months in NY.Nassau, NYC,Suffolk PD are always less than 6 months.Other upstate counties are very slow and take over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    We keep getting more and more of our students coming back and telling us that their Erie County permit letters were issued in less then 4 months. This seems to be a trend that has been steady lately.
    FTWNY - do you know if they are coming from a particular town?

The first holdup used to be the clerk's office which took 4 to 6 months to send the file to the local PD for investigation. Kathy Hochul was able to reduce that a bit, but I'm not sure by how much.

The second holdup was the local PD. Lots of towns have just one officer assigned to pistol permit background checks, and when that officer also has other duties, it can take 6 to 9 months for the officer to get to a particular file.

The there is the return trip to the clerk's office and the delay in submission to Judge Boller.

5. We have had 3 students in Cheektowaga get theirs in less then 4 months and 5 from Buffalo all go theirs in about 3 and 1/2 months. I had two from West Seneca say they got theirs in 4 and 1/2 months. These were all people who had submitted late last year. As you can see these three departments must be moving swiftly.

Thanks for the info, FTWNY. When I did talk with the Sgyt. from the Amherst Police, it did seem that he was very busy and had many permit applications. That doesn't make an excuse for them taking so long though.

7. just an update for Orchard park

1/12/11 paper work pix and got my prints taken care of same day

3/21/11 my 4 people got the sheet to fill out ( collected them that night and sent them back in)

3/30/11 I was contacted and did my phone interview

3/31/11 At least one of my references were contacted and did the phone interview as well.

Hopefully ill have me permit soon but im not holding my breath

8. Upgrade question

Sorry if this post seems out of place but I didn't see one that would fit and this seems to be the thread with the most traffic. I have had my target and hunting permit in NY for almost a year and have had my PA permit that clearly states my permit is for self protection for around the same time as my NY permit. Would the fact I have had a conceal carry permit for PA have any impact on an attempt to upgrade to an unrestricted permit here in NY? I have friends who have upgraded after 3 years but only held a NY permit and I haven't run across anyone who has the same situation as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    Sorry if this post seems out of place but I didn't see one that would fit and this seems to be the thread with the most traffic. I have had my target and hunting permit in NY for almost a year and have had my PA permit that clearly states my permit is for self protection for around the same time as my NY permit. Would the fact I have had a conceal carry permit for PA have any impact on an attempt to upgrade to an unrestricted permit here in NY? I have friends who have upgraded after 3 years but only held a NY permit and I haven't run across anyone who has the same situation as myself.
    What county? If Erie, probably not.

Oneida County is usually less than 6months after submitting the whole application. I've seen a little as 6 weeks. A lot depends on court load, case load, judge's vacation schedule, illness, etc.

Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast