Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 33
Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

how long should i wait to apply for an upgrade? from hunting/target to unrestricted. I hear Judge Boller is pro 2nd and a active outdoorsmen

3. I was downtown for jury duty last week and stopped by there permit office and asked one of the workers that very question. I explained I had my unrestricted permit for PA and he told me to wait 5 years, anything earlier gets denied as they are received. Now I wait.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    I was downtown for jury duty last week and stopped by there permit office and asked one of the workers that very question. I explained I had my unrestricted permit for PA and he told me to wait 5 years, anything earlier gets denied as they are received. Now I wait.......
    Based on posts in this very thread, the information the employee told you is incorrect. There have been numerous people who have gotten their restriction lifted in under 5 years.

My plan is to apply to have my restrictions removed after a year. If I am denied, I will reapply every year thereafter.

5. Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    We have had 3 students in Cheektowaga get theirs in less then 4 months and 5 from Buffalo all go theirs in about 3 and 1/2 months. I had two from West Seneca say they got theirs in 4 and 1/2 months. These were all people who had submitted late last year. As you can see these three departments must be moving swiftly.
    I find this very very hard to believe.
    I am from West Seneca and have been waiting a disturbingly long time. 16 months.

Completed Application submitted January 2010.
    References were all contacted in February of this year.
    Had interview with the WSPD Chief in March.

... and I am still waiting.

Called the permit office a few times during that period for an ETA, but they never really provided one. "It's in the process."

Clean unblemished record, a four year degree behind me, and experience that one would think would aid in attaining a permit, but again... still waiting.

6. Talking

It's correct. I'm in Cheektowaga turned my paperwork in on October 18 had my letter january 24th

7. Quote Originally Posted by Perseus301 View Post
    I find this very very hard to believe.
    I am from West Seneca and have been waiting a disturbingly long time. 16 months.

Completed Application submitted January 2010.
    References were all contacted in February of this year.
    Had interview with the WSPD Chief in March.

... and I am still waiting.

Called the permit office a few times during that period for an ETA, but they never really provided one. "It's in the process."

Clean unblemished record, a four year degree behind me, and experience that one would think would aid in attaining a permit, but again... still waiting.
    I would call again and ask what has been holding this up, in the process is not a detailed answer. Usually they will let you know where in the process it is. If they tell you it is still with West Seneca PD then you know that you have to contact them and ask them why they still have it (ask nicely and ask them if they need more info from you). If it is on the judges desk then you will just have to wait for him to sign. The permit office has gotten to be very efficient and fast, these usually get held up somewhere else, or even "misplaced" when at one of the local PDs. If you need to, go to the Pistol Permit office and ask for Will Fowler, he runs the office.
    Good Luck!

8. I am not to anxious to call again. I called last month asking about the permit and was told that "it's in the same place it was last time you called". The call abruptly ended as they hung up. I don't think my calls are bothersome in any way. I called a month before that, and a month after the interview at WSPD. I believe its still in line to be signed by a judge at this point... but its easily been months since this was indicated to me.

When I asked after the one-on-one interview, West Seneca stated that they only had the application for three weeks; that they do not actually "talk" with the county. They further told me that the hold up is on the county end as they receive, process, and send out all application within three weeks. Was told that I should have the permit in my hands within one and a half to two months, tops. Obviously this did not happen.

I have been told by members of the Law Enforcement community and others that my application is one of the longest lasting that they've heard of. I was told by another, "I had my application finalized and the permit within my hands in three weeks. You should definitely have yours by now. You should contact them."

I sent one email to the county during this process. I received a response about two months after I sent it, that one, was not helpful, and two, was meant to be condescending and demeaning. Going down in person is useless. Walk in, ask for an update, provide ID and walk out, because as you know, "It's in the process." Calling and asking gets nowhere and really at this point, I don't know if I want to communicate at all with these people. Its as if every-time you call, they deliberately put you application at the end of "a pile". I guess its better to sit down and twiddle ones thumbs instead.

There's politics behind all this. I just do not understand it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoon View Post
    Based on posts in this very thread, the information the employee told you is incorrect. There have been numerous people who have gotten their restriction lifted in under 5 years.

My plan is to apply to have my restrictions removed after a year. If I am denied, I will reapply every year thereafter.

I was thinking the same thing. Besides the obvious application form what else do you plan on sending in? Not exactly sure what should be including in the upgrade prep process.

After you get fingerprinted, what comes next, I am helping a friend thru the process, but it has been a while since I got mine. Do you just mail the packet in with the prints. Or do you deliver the packet somewhere downtown

11. Erie county pistol permit process

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumman View Post
    After you get fingerprinted, what comes next, I am helping a friend thru the process, but it has been a while since I got mine. Do you just mail the packet in with the prints. Or do you deliver the packet somewhere downtown
    You take the required Handgun Safety course (we offer this for Erie and Niagara Counties)
    Fill out your application along with having you 4 references sign. You will then sign and get your app notarized. At this point you must submit your application in person. You cannot mail it in, You will submit it in person to the pistol permit office located at:
    Erie County Clerk's Office
    Pistol Permit Department
    92 Franklin Street
    Buffalo, NY 14202

They will review your application for possible mistakes (this is done right in front of you)

If everything looks fine, they will give you a sheet of paper with about a dozen locations listed for you to go get electronically fingerprinted. You will choose a location that works best for you and call the phone number on the top to schedule your fingerprinting. Once your prints have been taken, all you need to do is go home and wait for the investigating officer to call you for your interview.

You can see our site for more details or a class schedule.
    www.ftwny.com

Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast