Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 34
Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

I went for my prints while I was downtown, I believe that I went directly to the BPD headquarters and was printed by a short man who was almost BLIND...Anyone who went to this place knows what I an talking about. Is going here no longer an option? It was really easy to do it all at once!

Reasons I used to Request an Upgrade and was granted Unresticted Status

Good Day all,

I have been a little out of commission lately and need to apolojize to some members for not getting back to them. Concerning Up-Grade Process.

I'm not an expert in this field but, What I'am about to post about requesting an Up-Grade request worked for me after having my permit for 2 years and also, my neighbor who only had his permit for 6 months.

When Addressing Judge Boller, I used very respectful words and, Humbling Pharses. at no time did I seem to be demanding or, talking like it was my right under the 2nd. Amendment. Before I sent in my Up-Grade Request I obtained my Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms and also, My Florida Concealed Weapon Permit I made Copies of both to submit to Judge Boller.Along with being an Member of USCCA
    United States Concealed Carry Association for Responcible Armed Citizens also made copy of membership card.to send in with Up-Grade Request.
    I began Under the reasons for Up-Grade Request.by respectfully requesting an Upgrade for the following reasons:
    #1-I explained to Judge Boller why I appiled for my PA & FL CCW'S I told Judge Boller the truth about all statements. My Cousin Gene owns Property in PA and I, was going to be hunting this year in PA Also, That I would be making several trips to Florida Due to the fact my Uncle lives there and, his heath is not the greatest and, he has no other family except myself. Who ever is requesting upgrade will have to add their own statements to work for you.Now, I explained to Judge Boller that in order for myself to travel to and, from PA while in Possesion of my weapon I would need to completely obey all of New Yorks States Gun Laws. and given the fact that I only had Target & Hunting Permit it would seriously put me at an dis-advantage while driving in and, out of New York. Restricted permits does not give you the right to be Traveling at 3-4 am while on the New York states Thruways ,There are No Legal Shooting Ranges that are open 24 hours along the thruway or any, route of travel and, also if in the event I was pulled over Each LEO Department handles things differently and could leave myself open for trouble my main reason for requesting upgrade was to be completely compliant with New York State Gun Laws. I didnt want the Judge to think I just wanted to Carry my weapon anytime. In hopes he would see the bigger picture that I was making an honest effort to Comply with the law. I also used similar reason for Traveling to and, from Florida prior to sending upgrade request in I found out Judge Boller is an big Supporter and I, think an member of (scope) Shooters Commitee on Political Education so once again I made a copy of my membership card to include that as well.After I completed everything that was needed I ended the request by saying
    (Judge M.William Boller I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respectfully consider my Up-Grade request I Realize that This is an Great Responcibility That I'am Respectfully Requesting I adivsed Judge Boller that with each passing day I gain more knowledge and respect for New York States Gun Laws and what it means to be an Responcible Armed Citizen we used the same format formy neighbor but different wording . It seems like allot to go through but, the reward is great due to the fact that Our Pistol Permits are for Life.I went to the Pistol Permit Office and turned in my request on Monday Jan 10,2011 and, recieved the Approval letter on Tuesday Jan18,2011 from there I headed directly topermit office and, recieved my new Unrestricted permit.I hope this Information helps some of you or all of you. Once again I greatly Apolojize for the Delay in responding to those of you who PM me. I Hope this will redeemed myself to those of youAnd ,if any of you need more Info feel free to PM me and I, will do my best to help.I Also forgot to Mention that I sent in My EPL Membership for the NRA (EPL) Easy Pay Life Member...
    NRA,NYCCW,PALTCF,FLCCW,ARCCW,DCM,NYSRPA,SCOPE

4. Erie county pistol permit process

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumman View Post
    I went for my prints while I was downtown, I believe that I went directly to the BPD headquarters and was printed by a short man who was almost BLIND...Anyone who went to this place knows what I an talking about. Is going here no longer an option? It was really easy to do it all at once!
    I believe Erie County has been doing live scan prints for about 2 years now. I am not sure of exactly how long it has been, but they no longer do ink prints.

Utah & Florida CCW permit classes, NY residents can carry concealed in up to 34 states!
    NY pistol permit classes for Erie and Niagara Counties as well.
    see the site for schedule and full details http://www.ftwny.com

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    Good Day all,

I have been a little out of commission lately and need to apolojize to some members for not getting back to them. Concerning Up-Grade Process.

I'm not an expert in this field but, What I'am about to post about requesting an Up-Grade request worked for me after having my permit for 2 years and also, my neighbor who only had his permit for 6 months.

When Addressing Judge Boller, I used very respectful words and, Humbling Pharses. at no time did I seem to be demanding or, talking like it was my right under the 2nd. Amendment. Before I sent in my Up-Grade Request I obtained my Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms and also, My Florida Concealed Weapon Permit I made Copies of both to submit to Judge Boller.Along with being an Member of USCCA
    United States Concealed Carry Association for Responcible Armed Citizens also made copy of membership card.to send in with Up-Grade Request.
    I began Under the reasons for Up-Grade Request.by respectfully requesting an Upgrade for the following reasons:
    #1-I explained to Judge Boller why I appiled for my PA & FL CCW'S I told Judge Boller the truth about all statements. My Cousin Gene owns Property in PA and I, was going to be hunting this year in PA Also, That I would be making several trips to Florida Due to the fact my Uncle lives there and, his heath is not the greatest and, he has no other family except myself. Who ever is requesting upgrade will have to add their own statements to work for you.Now, I explained to Judge Boller that in order for myself to travel to and, from PA while in Possesion of my weapon I would need to completely obey all of New Yorks States Gun Laws. and given the fact that I only had Target & Hunting Permit it would seriously put me at an dis-advantage while driving in and, out of New York. Restricted permits does not give you the right to be Traveling at 3-4 am while on the New York states Thruways ,There are No Legal Shooting Ranges that are open 24 hours along the thruway or any, route of travel and, also if in the event I was pulled over Each LEO Department handles things differently and could leave myself open for trouble my main reason for requesting upgrade was to be completely compliant with New York State Gun Laws. I didnt want the Judge to think I just wanted to Carry my weapon anytime. In hopes he would see the bigger picture that I was making an honest effort to Comply with the law. I also used similar reason for Traveling to and, from Florida prior to sending upgrade request in I found out Judge Boller is an big Supporter and I, think an member of (scope) Shooters Commitee on Political Education so once again I made a copy of my membership card to include that as well.After I completed everything that was needed I ended the request by saying
    (Judge M.William Boller I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respectfully consider my Up-Grade request I Realize that This is an Great Responcibility That I'am Respectfully Requesting I adivsed Judge Boller that with each passing day I gain more knowledge and respect for New York States Gun Laws and what it means to be an Responcible Armed Citizen we used the same format formy neighbor but different wording . It seems like allot to go through but, the reward is great due to the fact that Our Pistol Permits are for Life.I went to the Pistol Permit Office and turned in my request on Monday Jan 10,2011 and, recieved the Approval letter on Tuesday Jan18,2011 from there I headed directly topermit office and, recieved my new Unrestricted permit.I hope this Information helps some of you or all of you. Once again I greatly Apolojize for the Delay in responding to those of you who PM me. I Hope this will redeemed myself to those of youAnd ,if any of you need more Info feel free to PM me and I, will do my best to help.I Also forgot to Mention that I sent in My EPL Membership for the NRA (EPL) Easy Pay Life Member...
    I hope you used better spelling and grammar when you wrote to the judge! lol

Sorry, I'm using my phone that has the Swype features and I'm not used to it

Tomorrow is my one year anniversary of being granted my target/ hunting permit. I wanted to apply soon to see if I could get the restrictions lifted and I started writing my letter. I cited many reasons, but it sounds like "self defense" just isn't good enough, but let me know what you guys think. I put out there all of the following:

-I've undergone a defensive tactics course, NYS 47 hr firearms certification, ass. degree in criminal justice- all of which dove into use of force issues in depth

-Good moral standing and responsibility demonstrated throughout my work in the security industry, being armed for my duties for most of the last year (I was granted the permit in june and started working armed after my 47 hr in november)

-One of my co workers being shot not too long ago at a Family Dollar less than three miles from my house

-11 years empty hand self defense training in various martial arts that placed emphasis on nonviolent conflict resolution and minimal force necessary to stop an attack

Obviously I expounded on all of these points but you get the bare bones idea. I believe that the right to protect myself and my family should be extended from simply being "on the clock." If anybody has any tips for me, or has been through the process and knows what else I can say that can help with my "reasonable grounds," the help would be appreciated.

Make a copy of the certificates from your defensive tactics course, NYS 47 hr firearms certification, ass. degree in criminal justice- and attach them to the application.
    Add in any other certificates or diplomas or record of training.

9. That was fast.

Well. Here is an update for me.

I finally received my congratulations letter. Thankfully the process was just over 18 1/2 months. Here I was, thinking that it was going to take a full two years. What a funny thought.

Sometime this week I will go purchase a pistol and then head down to the Pistol Permit Office and hopefully pickup my physical permit.

God willing, within two weeks I'll be capable of picking up my pistol.

So for potential applicants, it can take you as long as 19 months for a Erie County Pistol Permit to be processed.

10. Post Kenmore, NY Process

Just to update on how my timeline is currently going in Kenmore:

4/20/11 - Submit Application
    4/21/11 - fingerprints
    8/12/11 - phone call from local police dept
    8/15/11 - interview with KPD investigator

From here:
    My references have to fill out a 2 page reference form for the Kenmore police department. Once all 4 send that back in, they will turn the paperwork back into Erie county within 7 days.

Detective said that it could be anywhere from 2-4 months after that. Hopefully I should have mine by the beginning of regular hunting season!!

Update: Permit issued 6/21/10. Submitted application to have restrictions removed on 7/13/11. Got my approval letter 8/31. Woohooo!

Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast