Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 35
Page 35 of 72 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Hello all,

Got my Pistol permit in October 2010 in Erie County, restricted to Hunting/Target. Took the Rochester Personal Defense DPS101 class in April 2011, submitted my application to have my restrictions removed May 13th 2011. I was told it could take up to 3 months for a decision, so I wasn't going to call until 3 months had passed. I knew a couple of other guys that got their letters in 2 or 3 weeks. I was kind of surprised when almost 4 months pass and not a word from the pistol permit office. I decided to call today to see what the status was. The nice lady on the phone says "we sent you your approval letter in the first week of June, it must have gotten lost in the mail". I headed down there this afternoon, had my upgraded, unrestricted permit in less than 15 minutes. I got a bit of a chuckle out of the guy at the counter, he told me "man, what's wrong with you, we get lots of people who don't come in for months when we send them a letter saying their permit has been suspended, but usually when we send out upgrade letters we see the guys within a day or two". I sure am glad I called or I'd be waiting forever....

3. Im new to this page an just thought i would write my timeline i know i dont have it bad yet compared to alot of people but i sent my application in may 5th,2011- had my fingerprints done the same day. It is now sept 3rd none of my references have been contacted yet or anything. Im just going for a simple hunting and target pistol permit. I dont want to bother the pistol department to soon but does anyone know if i should call and see where in the process i am or just wait a couple months. I hear people talking who have pistol permits saying im prolly gonna be waiting a long time because kathy hochul just went to congress or whatever and she was just begining to speed the process up can anyone give me any good news haha.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke1975 View Post
    Hello all,

Got my Pistol permit in October 2010 in Erie County, restricted to Hunting/Target. Took the Rochester Personal Defense DPS101 class in April 2011, submitted my application to have my restrictions removed May 13th 2011. I was told it could take up to 3 months for a decision, so I wasn't going to call until 3 months had passed. I knew a couple of other guys that got their letters in 2 or 3 weeks. I was kind of surprised when almost 4 months pass and not a word from the pistol permit office. I decided to call today to see what the status was. The nice lady on the phone says "we sent you your approval letter in the first week of June, it must have gotten lost in the mail". I headed down there this afternoon, had my upgraded, unrestricted permit in less than 15 minutes. I got a bit of a chuckle out of the guy at the counter, he told me "man, what's wrong with you, we get lots of people who don't come in for months when we send them a letter saying their permit has been suspended, but usually when we send out upgrade letters we see the guys within a day or two". I sure am glad I called or I'd be waiting forever....
    Do you mind if I ask what you put on the application for your reasoning to have the restrictions removed? Also, did you mention the fact that you had taken a class at Rochester Personal Defense?

5. Wintermoon,

No problem. I did mention the class, I attached to the county's application the certificate provided by RPD for completion of the class (which also works as live fire training if you want your Florida non-resident permit), a one page description of the class's agenda. I stressed the de-escalation and situational awareness skills taught in the class. I also provided the doc for the NRA basic pistol class I took. I let the judge know I intend to seek more professional training as time and money permit. I also attached a multi page letter detailing the reasons for my request of the removal of my restrictions. I started with a brief history of myself, my history with firearms, firearms training I've taken, detailed my knowledge of Article 35 and how it applies to self defense. I then went into my reasoning for wanting my restrictions removed. I used the following reasons:

1. I spend a lot of time in the rural areas of Catt. and Chaut. counties, camping and hiking, over the last few years coyote and black bear activity has increased greatly, We have family land right next to State land that we hike on. I told the judge I could legally carry a rifle for protection, but would much prefer to carry a pistol as it would be much less likely to scare anyone I came across on the State lands (as the pistol would be concealed)
    2. My wife and I geocache for a hobby, we're in areas that are unknown to us quite frequently, both urban and remote rural areas. Sometimes we're in areas that we've run into shady characters, where if I were to dial 911 on my cell phone it could be 20minutes to an hour for police to show up.

I had a co-worker who recently got his restrictions removed read my letter over before I sent it in, lol, he said it looked like a legal brief, and if nothing else the judge would remove my restrictions in hopes I'd never write him again....

6. From start to finish, the process took me 1 day short of 6 months and i live in Cheektowaga. I submitted my packet on April 1, 2011, fingerprinted on the 6th, my refrences were called july 12-13 2011, and I received my letter on September 30, 2011. I received my actual permit, October 3rd, 2011 with pistol registered on it, best advice, be patient, it moves pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoon View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what you put on the application for your reasoning to have the restrictions removed? Also, did you mention the fact that you had taken a class at Rochester Personal Defense?
    We provide sample documents for applicants. Contact me via PM and I'll send them
    to you.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

8. Just got my letter this Saturday (11/05/2011) So I was just around 6.5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by jnnorris View Post
    Just to update on how my timeline is currently going in Kenmore:

4/20/11 - Submit Application
    4/21/11 - fingerprints
    8/12/11 - phone call from local police dept
    8/15/11 - interview with KPD investigator

From here:
    My references have to fill out a 2 page reference form for the Kenmore police department. Once all 4 send that back in, they will turn the paperwork back into Erie county within 7 days.

Detective said that it could be anywhere from 2-4 months after that. Hopefully I should have mine by the beginning of regular hunting season!!

9. I handed my pistol permit application in may,5th,2011 its been almost 7 months none of my references were contacted wrote a email to them no reply. Gonna call to see what the hold up is i just dont understand i live in buffalo ny erie county. Any one think they lost my application or something cause my understanding is from pistol permit holders i know is that atleast my references should of been contacted. Im getting a hunting an target permit i live in black rock could me living in a not so good area make a problem for me to get it. i have no record of any kind most i ever got was a parking ticket in my life. if anyone could shine some light or have any info would be appreciated.

10. i called the pistol permit department today they said its now with the buffalo police department should be sending stuff to my references any day now. im just thinking if i should call my cousin who a buffalo cop to see if he can hurry this process up for me. its not that i need it cause i got other toys its just the fact of haveing it lol il never understand this county so much for NYS laws that say we should have a answer within six months.

11. on the erie county application there is a question that asks if you have been arrested, accused, convicted, etc, basically ever in trouble with the law. is there any point in claiming this stuff, especially if you have previous YO offenses over ten years ago, even when you know for sure you don't have a criminal record? by you i mean me. thanks

Page 35 of 72 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast