Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 38
Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

What town are you in? You can call the pistol permit office to find out if the file has been sent to your local police, then call them to find out if it has been assigned.

3. Hi Folks,
    I'm new to the site, but have learned alot from reading thru this thread. I have just started my Erie Co. permit process and will try to keep activity posted, and its cost, as it occurs. It seems as though the process may be a little faster than back in 2009 when this thread began, early on people were waiting a year or more, perhaps it's a little better now ? Anyway I hope I'm not using a different year on these posts when my process ends. I was advised by the young man in the office who took my application that it would be 6-8 mos.

1/29/2012 - Completed classroom work. 50.00
    2/14/2012 - Dropped off completed app at ECPP office downtown. 30.00
    2/17/2012 - Completed finger printing in sunny downtown Lackawanna. 105.00

Semper Fi.

The two biggest factors are 1. the time it takes the permit office to send your application out for the background check; and 2. the time it takes the investigating agency (I'm presuming Lackawanna PD from your post) to complete the investigation and send the file back to the permit office.

In the past, "6-8" months meant it would take the permit office 6 to 8 months to send your file out to the local investigative agency. I don't know if that is still true, but you can call the permit office in 30 days to ask if your file has been transmitted to Lackawana PD, and if so, the check with the PD on their time frame.

Greetings, I am new to this forum as I am just beginning my process to apply for my NYS pistol permit. I have signed up for my Firearms Training of WNY course where I will fill out my official application. I admit I have read the majority of pages in this tread before signing up and would like to see if I could get some updated responses tomy questions regarding the process. To start my main intent is to apply for a full carry and conceal permit. I've read the requirements to whom can posses this type of permit and admittingly meet the requirements. I've never been arrested, never been in a fight, no mental issues, never did drugs, don't drink any more, etc. I live in hamburg, ny but also have family and private land that I hunt, hike, recreationally use in Jefferson County. I am preparing for a solid 12-18 month process but would like to know, rather than risking being completely denied shall I only go for a target/hunting permit and in time upgrade to a full unrestricted? My concern with this type of limitations, my family and I travels the thru-way to get up north quite frequently, sometimes late at night, and I don't feel complete secure leaving a firearm in my vehicle unattended when stopping. Even if the judge puts the limitations on the permit, is it true that I must leave it in the vehicle locked up to and from hunting / target use? I could continue with questions but this is a good starting point. Thanks everyone in advance for your patients with me and for your response to my beginning questions. I look forward to corresponding with you in the future. Thanks.

6. I completed my finger printing in early October. Last week I got a call from my local PD (Town of Tonawanda) for my interview and all my references were contacted a few days later.

It was 4 months to get to my local PD. They told me they only had it for a week when I went in for my interview!

Hopefully not much longer now....

7. This is a little update of my pistol permit journey.
    handed my application in may 5th,2011.
    received my character reference papers all to my house febuary 4th 2012.
    had all 4 filled out and notorized handed them in my self to buffalo police headquarters downtown buffalo febuary 9th 2012.
    received a call which i believe was a little phone interview febuary 20th. Non of my references were called but the detective said it will be forward to a judge and i will find out in about 6 weeks whether i was all good or denied.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew does the judge call my references or should it have been the detective from the police department. Im just not sure cause i heard sometimes they dont call any references, sometimes they call one or two, or they call all of them. Could it be true that i got lucky and they wont be calling any of them because the detective said she was giving it to the judge right away. Can someone help to confirm this or is my journey not over lol. Thanks for any help.

8. The ONLY person who gives the judge the file is Will Fowler and ONLY when the file is completely ready.The judge never speaks to any of the references; only the investigator.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy82 View Post
    ... my family and I travels the thru-way to get up north quite frequently, sometimes late at night, and I don't feel complete secure leaving a firearm in my vehicle unattended when stopping. Even if the judge puts the limitations on the permit, is it true that I must leave it in the vehicle locked up to and from hunting / target use?
    If you get a "target & hunting" restricted license, you will receive a letter at the time of issuance. This letter will have a list of procedures and responsibilities, one of which reads as follows:

NEVER leave your firearms in your car. If it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to do so, LOCK THEM IN YOUR TRUNK IN A GUN CASE, UNLOADED.

This statement appears to imply that it is much more preferable to carry your firearm on your person when stopped than to leave it in an unattended vehicle.

10. Reply to CB82

Countryboy, another Hamburg resident here who is only a few weeks ahead of you in the process. We were advised in our class to apply for hunting / target , then after you have had your permit for 3 - 5 years apply to have the restriction removed. That is unless you have a real need forthe carry permit such as job related.

Quote Originally Posted by JR63 View Post
    Countryboy, another Hamburg resident here who is only a few weeks ahead of you in the process. We were advised in our class to apply for hunting / target , then after you have had your permit for 3 - 5 years apply to have the restriction removed. That is unless you have a real need forthe carry permit such as job related.
    JR63 that's great! Keep me posted on your progress and we'll see if they are consistent with the process. I'm taking my training in a few week and see where it goes from there. BTW did you get finger printed in class or did you have to go to the north towns to get that done? Glad to hear I'm not alone in hamburg going through this. Good luck bud!

Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast