Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 39
Page 39 of 72 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy82 View Post
    . I am preparing for a solid 12-18 month process but would like to know, rather than risking being completely denied shall I only go for a target/hunting permit and in time upgrade to a full unrestricted?

The process has been taking longer as the amount of applicants has gone up recently along with cutbacks to the staff that works on the Mental Health checks and the Judge covering for another ill Judge. It seems that permits are taking anywhere from 7 to 14 months. If permits are taking longer it is because of references that do not respond immediately, or local PD that do not have the manpower to get these done quicker.

As for applying for the unrestricted, it does not hurt your chances or slow the process to apply for unrestricted. When the application hits the judges desk, it just takes his time to read and make the determination as to if you get the unrestricted or the hunting/target. No where in the process does any more time get spent on you applying for unrestricted or hunting/target. If you have experience with firearms and you have a reason that is personal to you and plausible, you should apply for unrestricted. If you do not have either of these, you can apply for hunting/target and go back in one year after your permit is issued and try to have them removed. If you try removing restrictions within one year, you should have a certificate from a live fire class or some proof that you have practiced and become familiar with your firearm.

3. I can confirm what FTWNY is telling you. It's exactly what I did. Applied for unrestricted permit 5/10 (I live in the Town of Hamburg, they did a very prompt background investigation), got a target/hunting permit 10/10. I then took a couple of live fire classes, submitted my upgrade application/letter 5/11, 6/11 received my unrestricted permit.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke1975 View Post
    I can confirm what FTWNY is telling you. It's exactly what I did. Applied for unrestricted permit 5/10 (I live in the Town of Hamburg, they did a very prompt background investigation), got a target/hunting permit 10/10. I then took a couple of live fire classes, submitted my upgrade application/letter 5/11, 6/11 received my unrestricted permit.
    Wow zeke - it only took your entire process 5 month from the initial application date to the date you received your permit (with hunting/target restrictions) and another 8 month to remove all restrictions?! That's a pretty quick turn around time. If I may ask, did you have a lot or prior experience / training prior to you applying or is itwe're fortunate to have an efficient P.D that was able to process their end of the paperwork quickly? My class with FTWNY is in 2 weeks in hamburg so I will keep you posted on how the process goes in 2012 :-)

5. So my local PD interviewed me and contacted my references. It goes to the judge now right? Any insight as to how long the judge usually takes and I get my letter?

6. Quote Originally Posted by lobo519 View Post
    So my local PD interviewed me and contacted my references. It goes to the judge now right? Any insight as to how long the judge usually takes and I get my letter?

You are in the final stretch, we really cannot give you an answer with any kind of accuracy. You could have your permit in 4 to 12 weeks which is the average, but it has been taking slightly longer due to factors such as the amount of permit applications skyrocketing.

7. lobo, I'll give you a time line which may or may not help you. My wife and I applied for our permits in april 2011, printed by march 5th . Our references were contacted and our interviews were done by oct 15th 2011. (I believe the delay was due to the amherst PD backlog, New officer conducting background checks) From there we got our letters about feb 1st 2012. By the way, don't be afraid to apply for unrestricted. My wife and I both got unrestricted permits right away. We are a bit older (alright we are just old) so I'm sure that weighs in along with the fact I have quite a bit of experience with firearms. We also gave good sound reasons to need an unrestricted permit. Be patient and polite with the permit dept. They have , in my experience been pretty efficient and helpful. Keep in mind the workload they have with the flood of new applicants and gun purchases.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy82 View Post
    Wow zeke - it only took your entire process 5 month from the initial application date to the date you received your permit (with hunting/target restrictions) and another 8 month to remove all restrictions?! That's a pretty quick turn around time. If I may ask, did you have a lot or prior experience / training prior to you applying or is itwe're fortunate to have an efficient P.D that was able to process their end of the paperwork quickly? My class with FTWNY is in 2 weeks in hamburg so I will keep you posted on how the process goes in 2012 :-)
    No special background or training. No law enforcement or Military training. The detective called me within a week of getting my packet from the Pistol Permit Office, I met with him the following Saturday, go the paperwork from him, had my references fill it out the following Monday (works out well, we have a notary in the office). I mailed all the paperwork back to HPD Tuesday, Called the Detective the following Monday, he said he'd already sent all my paperwork back to the county. Seemed pretty efficient. I highly recommend getting live fire training before applying to have your restrictions removed though. Shows them you're serious about safety and training. Good luck, I hope the process goes well for you! By the sounds of it there are some slowdowns in Albany.

9. "By the way, don't be afraid to apply for unrestricted."

That's 100% correct. If you want an unrestricted apply for it. The worst that can
    happen is that you receive a target & hunting permit. Some instructors are telling applicants to first apply for a target & hunting permit and then immediately apply for an upgrade. WRONG! People are coming into the pistol permit office to pick up their new target & hunting permit and asking for an upgrade application.
    This creates more work for the permit office & the judge.

10. Quote Originally Posted by goosehunter View Post
    "By the way, don't be afraid to apply for unrestricted."
    This is true, if you get denied for unrestricted you will not get denied for a permit if you ask for Hunting/Target as well. This is why they ask you to circle one or more reasons. They want you to have Target/Hunting circled so that if you do get denied the Unrestricted permit you will still get a permit. I have no idea why anyone tells people you cannot apply for Unrestricted right away. I have had students who did not want Unrestricted and only asked for Target/Hunting, when they got there permit it was Unrestricted. Like I stated before, if you do not have a personal reason or experience, your chances are not that good. But I still tell people to apply for the Unrestricted anyway. If anyone has any specific questions, even if you were not one of our students, feel free to e-mail me directly.

[email protected]

11. Southtowns fingerprinting

Countryboy,

I went for prints at a place on Ridge Rd in Lackawanna, next to the SWAT store. FYI when I called thier centeralized scheduling number I specifically asked if a credit / debit card was OK for payment and was told yes, it's fine. When I got to the actual location I was told no, need a postal money order, the good news is there's a Post Office right up the block and they do take a card ! I believe when scheduling the apointment I was offered places in W Seneca as well as E Aurora. so no trips up to the Northtowns required.

Page 39 of 72 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast