Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 40
Page 40 of 72 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Quote Originally Posted by JR63 View Post
    Countryboy,

I went for prints at a place on Ridge Rd in Lackawanna, next to the SWAT store. FYI when I called thier centeralized scheduling number I specifically asked if a credit / debit card was OK for payment and was told yes, it's fine. When I got to the actual location I was told no, need a postal money order, the good news is there's a Post Office right up the block and they do take a card ! I believe when scheduling the apointment I was offered places in W Seneca as well as E Aurora. so no trips up to the Northtowns required.
    When I got my prints done in Lackawanna, I scheduled my appointment online and paid with a credit card that way. worked out well. I was able to make an appointment for the same day within an hour.

3. Zeke,

You are correct,they did tell me I could have paid by card when scheduling. Just can't do it on sight

Thanks everyone for he insight on the finger printing process. Is it true that nowadays the finger prints have to be digitally done or is the ink process till active? Jut curious as I had asked a local police dept who stated on their website they offer free non criminal prints for residents. They responded by saying that was a mistake they needed to correct as the pistol dept requires applicants to go to a pre-selected site for digital prints.

5. Fingerprints have to be done digitally. The bad news is it adds one more fee to the process. The good news is it speeds the process by several months.

Any updates or news on how the Erie county process has been lately? I'm gong to the FTOWNY on Wednesday and can't wait for the new training experience.

From what Information I have gathered from friends,and Co- Workers Average processing time for new Applicants is avereging 12-14 Months from start to finish. Good Luck, keep us informed.
    NRA,NYCCW,PALTCF,FLCCW,ARCCW,DCM,NYSRPA,SCOPE

8. Countryboy82 , I just recieved my permit in early feb. My wife and I applied in late march of 11 ,prints in in early april. the process was delayed due to the person who did the mental health checks for the state retired right after we applied and the amherst police dept was slow in the reference checks. Just a bit of bad timing no big deal. Follow the instructions the permit dept gives you and you will have no issues. In my opinion the were efficient and great to deal with.
    FTOWNY are great people, my wife and I used them for our Utah permits, they are a class act. More than I can say for the gun centers instructor, who I would compare to the bumbling aunt Clara from the bewitched show.
    Don't get me wrong , the gun center is the benchmark for firearms stores but their training falls short.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy82 View Post
    Any updates or news on how the Erie county process has been lately? I'm gong to the FTOWNY on Wednesday and can't wait for the new training experience.
    It took me 5 months, here is my time line:
    Safety class at SWAT store in Lackawanna 10/8/2011

Application submitted to Pistol Permit Office 10/10/2011

Finger Prints in Lackawanna 10/11/2011 (showed up for my appointment on 10/10 but their system was down was told to come the next day, make sure you have two forms of ID I made my original appt as I was leaving County Hall and was told to have two forms of ID so I had to run home for my passport.)

My references were contacted on 1/17/2012 and I was called for an interview on 1/18/2012.

My letter showed up 3/5/2012.

Purchased and registered my first firearm on 3/9/2012. Card was printed while I waited and I was able to take my gun home that day.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Taleras View Post
    Purchased and registered my first firearm on 3/9/2012. Card was printed while I waited and I was able to take my gun home that day.
    Wow, that's great to hear they are printing cards on the spot. When I got a permit last year they told me to expect the card in the mail in four to six weeks but I actually received it in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy82 View Post
    It all depends on which town you live in. Orchard Park PD does a great job. If you live in OP you can expect your process to be complete in 3 to 4 months.
    If you live in a town without a PD and is patrolled by Erie Co Sheriff you will wait 11 to 14 months.
    Depew asks your references to say something negative about the applicant. ( I suggest saying you don't like the color of his car)
    Other towns vary by as much as 6 months to a year.
    All of this is because of the laws are capricious and arbitrary so they can do what ever they want.
    Remember all of this on Election Day. Sheriff is an elected position. Ask the Mayor of your town WTF is up the PDs skirt that it takes them so long.
    Demand action.
    Unfortunately we are all conditioned that CCW is doing something wrong or bad and they(the PD) will deny us if we make waves.
    Then as soon as we get our Permit we will actually defend NY State laws as being very CCW friendly.

Page 40 of 72 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast