Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 42
Page 42 of 72 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Quote Originally Posted by lobo519 View Post
    What kind of rotation takes several months!!??

Killing my hope of a permit within the next month!
    I ment
    I'm at 7 months total, he said at this point with the judge it could be a couple months, he gets them in rotations of 30-40 at a time and it could be a few months depending on what pile it sits in

3. I live in Erie County, in the city of Buffalo.

Buffalo residents are allowed to use people from outside of the city as references, as long as they live within Erie County. (For example, a city resident can use a Village of Kenmore resident as a reference...etc)

My permit process timeline is as follows:

January 22 2011 - Dropped off paperwork
    January 24 2011 - Fingerprints
    August 3 2011 - Call from Buffalo Police. My application has been reached for processing. They'll be contacting my references "Shortly".
    September 28 2011 - References actually contacted.
    December 6 2011 - Received letter. Permit approved.

Total Time: 10 Months 14 Days

4. I live in Cheektowaga in Erie county. Here's my timeline:
    September 2011 - turned in paperwork and went for fingerprints
    December 2011 - Refrences recieved question forms
    February 2012 - contacted by local PD for questioning
    March 2012 - called by local PD permit office telling me i was approved and they were sending my papwork on

Now i'm just waiting for my letter. I was hoping i would have it by now. Not much longer i hope.

5. I'm right there with ya, I freakishly check the mail everyday

6. Any idea if we get the permit when you bring in the receipt for gun purchase? Or do they mail it to you?

My dad got his upgraded last week went in today an they gave him the new one right there ( previously had the old paper permit)

I have been running to the mailbox for a month!

7. I would imagine they'd do it right there then, but ya never know with erie county, the wait is intense

Quote Originally Posted by lobo519 View Post
    Any idea if we get the permit when you bring in the receipt for gun purchase? Or do they mail it to you?

My dad got his upgraded last week went in today an they gave him the new one right there ( previously had the old paper permit)

If I remember correctly, you get a "coupon" that allows you to purchase, but not possess, a handgun. You buy the gun, leave it with the firearm dealer, take the receipt for the gun to the clerk's office, get you license with that gun listed, then go back to the gun dealer to pick up your firearm. (That can all be done in one day.)

You have to put a handgun on your license within the first 60 days or else your application is deemed withdrawn.

You don't have to buy a gun, you can have someone put you on their weapon as a co-owner.

9. That's what I was hoping for! Thanks!

10. Quote Originally Posted by lobo519 View Post
    Any idea if we get the permit when you bring in the receipt for gun purchase? Or do they mail it to you?

With the new card system, they can make changes or make your new card right there in a matter of minutes. When you receive your letter of approval from Erie County, you will be able to go and buy a gun with your letter. You will not be able to take the gun with you at that time, as stated you will have to go down to the permit office and give them the receipt for your handgun. They will then print your permit right there with your new gun listed on the back of the card. Every time that you buy a new handgun you will have to go downtown and have it added to your permit before you can take physical possession of the firearm.

You can Co-Register a handgun with any NY resident that has the handgun on their valid permit. (This is for Erie County, other counties have their own rules on this) This is a valid option when adding your first handgun as you do have 60 days to have a handgun on your permit.

Let us know if anyone has any questions as we are here to help!

11. Quote Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
    I am preparing to apply in Erie County; my next step is getting four people in my town who I have known for at least a few years to agree to be my 'character references' and sign my applications.
    in erie county, your referances can be from any town within the county of erie

Page 42 of 72 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast